IP Camera Recording

Reaction score
I am setting up an IP camera network and trying to decide what would be the best way to record the cameras.

I am deciding between two options, getting software and recording all 8 cameras onto an external hard drive connected to a laptop or buying an NVR and a hard drive for it and recording it all using that. I want to have the footage as files on my computer which makes me want to do the first option, however recording 8 HD cameras at the same time might put a strain on the computer and so this makes me want to choose option two. However, im not sure how or if you can export videos off an NVR. Which one should I choose?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Big mistake...those are old mjpeg vga cameras...foscam clones...poor image quality horrible wifi (which is not recommended anyway, but its bad in those cams, and mjepg requires way more bandwidth than the new h.264)...take some time to read the forum...learn about hd megapixel cameras that can be powered over ethernet (POE), powerline, or even wifi using h.264...dont let the pan tilt function suck you in...the field of view on those cameras is very narrow..you are better off with a fixed camera with a 2.8mm wide lens, which will allow you to capture the entire room in MUCH greater detail than those vga cams...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice. Those cameras are 5 year old or more technology at excessive prices.
Have you set a budget / roughly what is it?

Reaction score
Well I was going to get 8 of those cameras so the total would be around £270. Really I want to keep this at around that price and so no more expensive then £300.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I was going to get 8 of those cameras so the total would be around £270. Really I want to keep this at around that price and so no more expensive then £300.
You are better off with 3 good cameras than 8 junk cams that will not give you a good image and will be unreliable...What are you using these cameras for? do you intend to run them on wifi? In your OP you mention HD cameras, these are far from HD...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For that budget - the Hikvision range is out at around £55 off aliexpress for fixed bullets or domes. But what you get is full HD image quality, and very good features.
The link you supplied suggests all internal use, and pan / tilt.
For that price you're going to have to use a 'pig in a poke' approach with one of the huge number of low-cost Chinese 720p choices around off eBay or Aliexpress.
I've been happy enough with IPCC or Amovision or Vanxse. Would not recommend Foscam, or even Dericam or similar such as Wanscam.
For example - just some of many to try one first then buy more:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/02qciWG
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_sacat=0&_nkw=amovision&_sop=15
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40|R40|R40&ghostText=&_sacat=0&_nkw=ipcc+camera&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.