IP cam advise needed, for use with qnap NAS

rogerwilco

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you think about this model? Its in qnap compatibility list, too. But I think its only 2x zoom.

DS-2DE2202-DE3/W

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be guessing, sorry, it's not a camera I've ever used.
Provided the QNAP NAS is primarily used for recording, and not for the PTZ controls, which you'd probably do natively via the camera web GUI, I'd expect it to work out OK using a similar Hikvision model if the chosen one is not on the supported list.
Hikvision seem to have a good consistency in their CGI across the product range, so the QNAP models probably don't vary a lot internally.

rogerwilco

n3wb
Reaction score
I am hoping the same. Although I have no idea what else qnap provides to deserve such a big name like "surveillance station", other than realtime monitoring and record viewing.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's not a feature-rich security application, but it does the basics OK.
I think the main area that's missing is general support for analytics beyond simple motion detection. I suspect it's an architectural limitation in the software design.
One differentiator is the ability to do continuous recording with motion detect and thumbnails also shown on the playback timeline.
And a large number of supported cameras.
But no 'roll your own' configuration capability beyond ONVIF and Generic RTSP.

rogerwilco

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it's not a feature-rich security application, but it does the basics OK.
I think the main area that's missing is general support for analytics beyond simple motion detection. I suspect it's an architectural limitation in the software design.
One differentiator is the ability to do continuous recording with motion detect and thumbnails also shown on the playback timeline.
And a large number of supported cameras.
But no 'roll your own' configuration capability beyond ONVIF and Generic RTSP.
I think analytic abilities are related to processing power also. What I particularly need is, to be able to adjust motion sensitivity at different levels, for different sections of viewing area.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What I particularly need is, to be able to adjust motion sensitivity at different levels, for different sections of viewing area.
You can do something of this by using the different types of analytics in combination, the simple motion detection, the line crossing detection, the intrusion detection.

I think the main area that's missing is general support for analytics beyond simple motion detection.
I don't think I was quite clear on that - what I meant by general support in SS was the ability to carry out a specific configured action, triggered by event notifications of several potential types, resulting from analytics in the originating sensor (camera, PIR, microphone, window switch etc), for a holistic security solution.
Even the consumer level of Hikvision cameras are able to perform various types of analytics that ideally should trigger various types of actions.
A camera doing analytics that identifies a passing number plate for example probably needs more than just an action to do some recording, maybe a lookup for example.
Surveillance Station doesn't currently handle events other than simple motion detection and video loss.
I think analytic abilities are related to processing power also.
I think you are right. The processing capability needs to match the demands of the analytic the device is performing. When it's all built into the camera or other sensor, that can be matched up well, the device is designed for that purpose.
We've seen Hikvision trimming back the processing burden with firmware updates when they over-reached the capability with multiple line crossing and intrusion detection capabilities of the 2x32 cameras.