Interior Camera Recommendation

mjroth.eng

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All. I appreciated the great advice I received procuring the start of my camera system. I'm looking to expand it a bit, and I'm hoping there are some recommendations on an interior camera that isn't too obtrusive looking. I'm using BlueIris software. I bought the Dahua cameras for the exterior, but they are pretty "bulky" looking, especially when surface mounted using the mounting box, and this will be seen from the main living space of the house. This interior camera will be mounted at the bottom of a 5/12 vaulted ceiling, and I don't have a junction box installed. The view angle only needs to be 90 degrees. Does anyone have a suggestion on a sleek looking camera for this application? Sound would be nice, but it is not a requirement.

Thank you.
Matt

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Both Hik and Dahua make mini dome /wedge cameras like this. IPC-HDBW3541F-AS-M - Dahua Technology

This particular model is end of life. I believe they went to 4mp models but there might be 5mp available. There is a benefit to the 4:3 aspect ratio of a 5mp 2592 × 1944 sensor for indoor use. Your image will be taller and more square vs a shorter and but wider 16:9 camera. In an indoor space (and also outdoors for door monitoring) the 4:3 aspect ratio is superior to cover more of the room. The sensor is not comparable to the great low light options in larger cams, however, indoors IR bounces off the walls to assist.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping there are some recommendations on an interior camera that isn't too obtrusive looking. I'm using BlueIris software.
Hikvision's 'Cube' camera range is pretty unobtrusive for internal use, and has audio and PIR capabilities.
Example :

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All. I appreciated the great advice I received procuring the start of my camera system. I'm looking to expand it a bit, and I'm hoping there are some recommendations on an interior camera that isn't too obtrusive looking. I'm using BlueIris software. I bought the Dahua cameras for the exterior, but they are pretty "bulky" looking, especially when surface mounted using the mounting box, and this will be seen from the main living space of the house. This interior camera will be mounted at the bottom of a 5/12 vaulted ceiling, and I don't have a junction box installed. The view angle only needs to be 90 degrees. Does anyone have a suggestion on a sleek looking camera for this application? Sound would be nice, but it is not a requirement.

Thank you.
Matt
Interior cameras don't really need junction boxes if you have space above the ceiling to hide the wire. On a side note, I decided against installing interior cameras except for the garage because if someone gains unauthorized access to them I don't want people looking inside my home. I chose instead to protect the outside perimeter areas that would catch anything before the interior space was ever breached. I know some people have interior cameras to monitor their pets or children, but their location and field of view should be carefully considered.

mjroth.eng

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those further to see if I can find some pictures of them installed. I have a hard time getting perspective without seeing it installed. It looks like the Dahua might need a surface mounted box to install. I'll evaluate if I think I can cut in a box, but I'd like to do surface mounted potentially. I hadn't gotten to the point of thinking about aspect ratio. I'm certainly not an advanced user, so I'm not overly familiar with all the specs. That is a very helpful suggestion and something I hadn't considered.

mjroth.eng

n3wb
Reaction score
Interior cameras don't really need junction boxes if you have space above the ceiling to hide the wire. On a side note, I decided against installing interior cameras except for the garage because if someone gains unauthorized access to them I don't want people looking inside my home. I chose instead to protect the outside perimeter areas that would catch anything before the interior space was ever breached. I know some people have interior cameras to monitor their pets or children, but their location and field of view should be carefully considered.
I'll look at the installation and see if I think I could surface mount by shoving the wires above the ceiling. I think the cameras I used outdoors would have a challenging time surfacing mounting. I definitely understand the consideration of having the indoor cameras. I've weighed it, and decided I'm comfortable with this one (at least for now). That also another reason I don't want to cut in a box. Surface mounted holes would be easier to repair if I removed it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said you don't need a junction box if you can drill a hole big enough to shove the pigtail up into the ceiling or wall.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those further to see if I can find some pictures of them installed. I have a hard time getting perspective without seeing it installed. It looks like the Dahua might need a surface mounted box to install. I'll evaluate if I think I can cut in a box, but I'd like to do surface mounted potentially. I hadn't gotten to the point of thinking about aspect ratio. I'm certainly not an advanced user, so I'm not overly familiar with all the specs. That is a very helpful suggestion and something I hadn't considered.
The Dahua wedge with the matching Dahua circular mount (PFA139 I believe) is extremely low profile and looks great.

Reaction score
This is a Dahua IPC-HDBW4231FP-AS which is similar to the one fenderman listed. While it is not monitoring the inside, you can see how unobtrusive it is.

IMG_3691.JPG

Here is a Dahua SD1A203T-GN which is a PTZ cam. It has a black dome area and a white side body, but I masked the white part to black so that it blends in better with the cabinet.

IMG_3689.JPG

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i just put this up today. Revodata 1704-P-HS-5MP (HIK OEM - i think) killed the need for the DVR, im now fully IP cams only. and burning a little less juice wirh 1 of 3 recorders now idle.
Did not get hardcore with the ceiling mounting in case i hated it...Be plenty of cold January days to fiddlefuckaround with that. IMG_4851.jpegIMG_4852.jpegIMG_4853.pngimage.jpgIMG_4855.pngIMG_4854.pngScreenshot 2023-08-27 214744.pngScreenshot 2023-08-27 214722.pngScreenshot 2023-08-27 214605.pngScreenshot 2023-08-27 214523.png

Last edited:

mjroth.eng

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions, advice, and pictures! It looks like a couple of good options to look into. I had someone who is much better at this type of stuff than me setup the computer and isolate it, so I'm not too worried. In any case, my girlfriend doesn't even enjoy watching me walk around the house naked, so if someone does, it might stroke my ego.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@samplenhold, Does this arrangement allow IR to reach through your glass at night?

"This is a Dahua IPC-HDBW4231FP-AS which is similar to the one fenderman listed. While it is not monitoring the inside, you can see how unobtrusive it is."

IMG_3691.JPG

mjroth.eng

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciated the advice. I just installed it and am happy with the results. It doesn't stick out too bad.

IMG_2468.JPG

I'm either uncapable or unwilling to invest the time to learn how all the connectivity side of things work, so I've been leaning on a friend who knows this sort of stuff minimally to help me get everything working in BlueIris. I'm hoping he helps me this week getting this connected and teaches me how to do future additions to the system.

I just replaced the POE switch because it only worked for a couple of weeks before taking a dump. I've got the new one installed for when he helps me set it all back up on the isolated network. One observation I had was that the computer had been running 80-100% CPU with 6 cameras. We didn't get it addressed before the switch took a dump.

He isn't familiar with BI but can get everything connected. Does anyone have suggestions on what we should be doing to reduce the CPU usage on the computer? I'd imagine it is within the BI settings unless everyone's computer is doing this. I don't have the specs off hand, but its one I got from work and is a couple of years old. It's a lot newer than other machines I know some people are using. If anyone has some suggestions, I'll go through them with him to cross them off the list.

Thank you in advance.
Matt

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using substreams is the biggest thing you can do to take the load off.