Interesting article about dvrs with "hardcoded" passwords

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps best to move the nvr and camera's into a vlan behind an decent firewall to restrict acces from outside, and prevent phone home access.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Every time we get one of these exposures I imagine an agency operative muttering 'Damn! I need to move on to my next banked exploit.'
This does not say a lot for the vendor assessment procedures of some of the well known names who re-brand this stuff.
Incompetents r'Us.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The VPN would typically be on the edge of your network, on a security appliance, the router is the usual place, if it supports that facility. If it doesn't, it's easily replaced with one that does.
Then, having established the VPN capability, secure access from outside the network to selected internal parts such as the NVR becomes possible.

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyway if the rootpassword is known I bet you still can change it to something different in SSH console

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway if the rootpassword is known I bet you still can change it to something different in SSH console
Not if the associated UserID/password is 'hardcoded' into the system operating firmware, as opposed to being saved in the flash with other configuration items.
This was what the original article was about - privileged access that could not be removed or changed.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not if the associated UserID/password is 'hardcoded' into the system operating firmware, as opposed to being saved in the flash with other configuration items.
This was what the original article was about - privileged access that could not be removed or changed.
Bingo! That is why it was important to relay this info on the forum here to help others understand the vulnerability of opening a port to their internal network to the Internet. The root username and password are always going to be available on the listed hardware and cannot be removed.