installation ???

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I am getting IR reflection on a couple cameras I mounted under the eve of the house. How much drop would I need to fix that. I was thinking of using a outdoor weather proof electrical outlet box. I used this method to mount a camera on top my metal awning camera fit perfect on the box. I just had to drill a hole in the side to run the wires and marine gooped that. My camera is not facing down it is adjusted all the way up to see for distance. I did mount them very close to the edge but still have some issues. Yea i know I am using my cameras different then most of you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Too many variables to give an exact number - could be simply angling the camera down more or you may need to move it a few inches or a couple of feet down.

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am hoping a few inches will work the electrical box is maybe 2 to 3 inches deep I hope it works it will be a cheap work around. the wall is brick so that is a no go mounting there. To much trouble drilling into that.

Spray paint ummm maybe a little to redneck for me. I did come across black plastic shades on amazon

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Worth a try. If you get down under it more and out as far as you can, that can do it. I had to do the same with some of mine. Getting out farther works best if you can manage it.

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I did today was I moved the camera forward almost to the edge of the eve and lowered the range just a little. My wire hole is showing out the back some but a little silcone will fix that. Seems to have fixed my problem. I lost some of my range but it was a easy cheap compromise.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
What I did today was I moved the camera forward almost to the edge of the eve and lowered the range just a little. My wire hole is showing out the back some but a little silicone will fix that. Seems to have fixed my problem. I lost some of my range but it was a easy cheap compromise.
I had the same issue with some of my higher backyard cameras. I ended up moving them closer to the gutter board and dropping them down some. I have used both of these.

This only has the single hole in the back, so you would need to drill a new hole in the soffit or push it back to where it was.

This is a solid box and you can drill an out-hole wherever you want, so if you are happy with the current location just drill an offset hole to line up with your current soffit hole.

firefly556

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeap, I bought one yesterday just to see what the difference would be . Boy did it make a hugh difference. I will do this to all mine that are mounted under the eve. Amazing how a 3 in drop makes adjustment wise and for lens flare. I used the solid boxes and drilled my holes where I needed them. ANother ting mounting this way seems to be a hell lot more solid. I only used 2 screws on the camera mount to box and 2 for the box to house. Lot easier adjusting that damn little screw too. Cheap upgrade I paid 9.99 for the box.