Increasing motion detection reliability?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nah the camera has IVS menus and the NVR has IVS menus you shouldent need firmware to enable it.

can you try resetting both camera and nvr to defaults? depending on who and how it was tested alot of times these things wont be entirely defaulted out of the box.. (they just remove the password file manually to force it to default logins)

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
DuncanMcDonuts,

for the camera, I lost IVS when I enabled "Smart Codec" in the "Setup/Camera/Video" screen.
See this post IVS has Vanished!
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/ivs-has-vanished.15134/#post-137988
Another tidbit:
When assembling my new system, some of my cams showed IVS in the menu. Others didn't.
The NVR didn't show IVS.
I contacted the seller and got updated f/w for the NVR and a couple of cams.
And then I learned from the experts here how to enable IVS. I forgeet the details, but it was a bit of a trick for me back in the "wet behind the ears" phase. Check the screenshots of menus....
All the gory details are in this thread: "Smart Detect" feature of Dahua camera!

Good luck,
Fastb

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr
I tried resetting to factory defaults and I still get the same error on the native UI. The Chrome app Web Service doesn't have any IVS menu options for Events and neither does the Windows SmartPSS.

@Fastb
I don't see that menu option anywhere within the different UIs. The schedule does have an option for IVS to record, but it doesn't turn on the camera's IVS capability.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
DuncanMcDonuts,

If I understand you, you're missing IVS on your screens, as compared to the screens in the thread (link)
Well, I didn't see "Smart Detect" as I said in the referenced thread. But after the f/w upgrade, I then had menus with IVS.
If this is true (scan the earlier thread carefully), then we could conclude you need a f/w upgrade.
In the earlier thread, someone advised me there was newer f/w. Check the thread, and ask them what is the latest f/w for your models.

for the camera, I lost IVS when I enabled "Smart Codec" in the "Setup/Camera/Video" screen.
See this post IVS has Vanished!
Did you check "Smart Codec"?

Fastb

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Fastb,

I'm thinking that may be the issue. My firmware is 3.210.0002.2, Build Date: 2016-07-21. Web version: 3.2.3.67674.

I saw that you asked your seller for the firmware upgrade. Maybe @EMPIRETECANDY can provide links for the new firmware for IVS features? I wonder which exact firmware has the menu options. nayr made it sound like downgrading was difficult.

Has anyone else who has recently purchased a 5216-16P-4KS@ from Andy been able to use IVS and what firmware is on your system?

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
MakoMillenium,

I don't believe your statement is true for all Dahua equipment.

Fastb
Fastb, I agree with what you say, and thanks for clearing that up for me. My comment IRO IVS is that the IVS "Option" when in the brochure or manual. It's misleading and could lead one (Me at first) to believe it has to be ordered with the unit. High end Dahua's probably have processors and memory that allow multiple analytics to run simultaneously while medium spec's only support one analytics mode at a time. Cameras with the "Option" prevent you from adding extra IVS modes by warning you that your currently selected IVS option will be cancelled as you try to save the second mode (option).

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Other times it decides to box out nothing and trip like this; Gyazo - 06c0b12fefb4d683c64f033df078edba.gif

All I want is some sort of reliable detection for my driveway, and this is getting ridiculous.
Ghost Car! Run!

I think that for "reliable" motion detection you have to accept false alarms as part of the package. As Nayr points out Physical sensors are more reliable triggers but these have to be on your property so are of limited use for more distant objects.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR I bought was advertised as having IVS. But it didn't. The seller got me new f/w. Then I had IVS.

Cameras with the "Option" prevent you from adding extra IVS modes by warning you that your currently selected IVS option will be cancelled as you try to save the second mode (option).
Interesting theory. I've not seen that. And I haven't heard of IVS limitations (like using tripwire OR intrusion zone, but not BOTH)
Sure, there's limitations. "Smart Codec" disable IVS. "Face Detect" can be used with IVS. (ie: it's either/or)

You might be over-thinking this. Empirecandy may straighten it out....

Fastb

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been reading through the threads mentioned multiple times to try and understand how to get IVS to work. From what I gather:
1. The camera has to support IVS.
2. The UI needs to support it.

So, that brings me to a few questions. I apologize if some are very dumb questions, but I'd like to get clarification on everything:
1. Do the cameras have different firmware?
2. Do the UIs (NVR vs Web) have different versions/firmware?
3. Does upgrading the NVR firmware only change the NVR UI or also the Web UI?
4. Is downgrading the firmware as easy as selecting the file and uploading it?
5. Where is a source to download English firmware?

I've seen the Dahua Wiki firmware page. My NVR is the 5216-16P-4KS2 and there's a firmware update for DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2, but I'm not sure if that's a different model. I don't want to brick my equipment. My camera is the HDW5231R-Z. The camera should support IVS but as mentioned, I get the error "Channel 1 Does not support configuration search or modification!" I need to turn "Smart Detect" features on, but I don't have any menu options for that in my current NVR UI or Web UI.

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi DuncanMcDonuts.
I've the same NVR : NVR5216-16P-4KS2 with SD59230U-HNI and IPC-HDB4231C-AS.
I've seen that the SD has internal IVS and I don't see it on the NVR and that the IPC has not internal and I see for this channel IVS on the NVR.
The SD works fine but only till midnight than it stops. The blue lines from intrusion and tripwire are still there. When I go in the webmenu at IVS and make safe than it works again.
I save for the whole week but every day at midnight it stops. Strange.
My version of the NVR is : 3.210.0002.2 build 07-21-2016.
Has someone a solution for this?

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no firmware update for the NVR, the date and number from the download is the same.

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@M5F10 I'm not sure I can help you. You're a step further than I am as I'm still unable to initiate any IVS features.

@Fastb What menu option is the "Smart Codec" under? Do you mind taking a screenshot of it? I was finally able to see IVS menu options when I tried the WebUI under Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, but Chrome was never giving me that option. When I select IVS, I'm able to see a camera feed but clicking any other setup options (eg. Draw Rule, Draw Target, Period Set) does nothing or causes the feed to go blank. I also installed the newest version of SmartPSS (Version 2.00.0 2016-11-16) and that has an "Intelligent Analysis" tab under Event but I get the error "Load video analyse capability set failed!" when I select my IPC-HDW5231R-Z.

I contacted Andy and he said IVS has to be done through the Internet browser. I'm one step closer now that my WebUI shows an IVS tab under Event but still so far away.

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
@M5F10 I'm not sure I can help you. You're a step further than I am as I'm still unable to initiate any IVS features.

@Fastb What menu option is the "Smart Codec" under? Do you mind taking a screenshot of it? I was finally able to see IVS menu options when I tried the WebUI under Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, but Chrome was never giving me that option. When I select IVS, I'm able to see a camera feed but clicking any other setup options (eg. Draw Rule, Draw Target, Period Set) does nothing or causes the feed to go blank. I also installed the newest version of SmartPSS (Version 2.00.0 2016-11-16) and that has an "Intelligent Analysis" tab under Event but I get the error "Load video analyse capability set failed!" when I select my IPC-HDW5231R-Z.

I contacted Andy and he said IVS has to be done through the Internet browser. I'm one step closer now that my WebUI shows an IVS tab under Event but still so far away.
You have the same recorder as I have. What you can do is change no cables and put an extra cable in a channel of the switch. For example take channel 16. put the other and in you computer and you can easily reach your webui of the camera's with 10.1.1.65 as chanel 1 , 10.1.1.66 as channel 2. When you take 10.1.1.1 this is your NVR. The SD is only programmable with the webui of the camera. It works also with mac and safari with installed plugin, but this is not stable.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been trying the IVS out for a while and it seems even less reliable than motion detection. Half the time it doesn't even notice and box out a car driving through (max size is set to max). Other times it decides to box out nothing and trip like this; Gyazo - 06c0b12fefb4d683c64f033df078edba.gif

All I want is some sort of reliable detection for my driveway, and this is getting ridiculous.

Maybe the detection lines just on the gravel. The boxes are moving like the branches & waving grass..just guessing.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@DuncanMcDonuts ,

What menu option is the "Smart Codec" under? Do you mind taking a screenshot of it?
So I looked for the menu option. Surfed to the NVR using Firefox. Couldn't find smart codec.
So I surfed to the camera. There it was.

codec.jpg

Only one of my cams has the "Smart Codec" feature. The new Dahua IPC-HFW4431M-I2. I guess this is newer than my NVR's ability to support that feature.
But I don't care about that! Smart Codec isn't a feature I'm interested in using, since it disables IVS!

When I select IVS, I'm able to see a camera feed but clicking any other setup options (eg. Draw Rule, Draw Target, Period Set) does nothing
I wasn't clear if you were surfing to the NVR or the cam. Try surfing to the cam. Setting up IVS may work better....

Fastb

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
I can show how you get work it, I hope. Use tripeare and one rule, see picture20170111_135547.jpg

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can show how you get work it, I hope. Use tripeare and one rule, see picture

That looks like a scene from a movie where the thief has to get past the laser grid.

M5F10

n3wb
Reaction score
It must be a good thief to handle this. I think no chance to get through it.