Importance of firmware

Ciber

n3wb
Reaction score
New user here, Starting to build my first IP system. I got 2 cameras that are not firmware up-gradable. How big of a issue is this? Are firmware upgrades just security updates? Wouldn't it be easier to secure the cameras from the web, and only make them able to communicate with the specific PC / NVR monitoring them, then connect to that for remote viewing?

Coming from an analog system i've never had to update firmware before, not that I mind updating, but I do mind paying twice as much for a camera with the same specs that "allows" firmware updates.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am not the expert in this area, but I have had IP cameras for about two years and have not had need to upgrade firmware on the cameras. The NVR, yes. Cameras, no. I have about a dozen bullet cameras, all but two are fixed focal length, and two that have motorized zoom. All are either DaHua or Lorex which is a re-branded DaHua.

Edit: I DO look for upgradeable cameras "just in case".

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have a camera that has known exploits in the firmware, and there was a newer version that fixed those said exploits, I'd want to upgrade the firmware. So security reasons is one reason... buggy firmware is another.... newer features you may want to use is another... probably more reasons out there. I personally read the updates on all my devices that have firmware to see if I should update to that version for some reason. If not.. I may skip.
Just look at the hacked Hikvision map... https://ipvm.com/reports/hik-hack-map

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a camera that has known exploits in the firmware, and there was a newer version that fixed those said exploits, I'd want to upgrade the firmware. So security reasons is one reason... buggy firmware is another.... newer features you may want to use is another... probably more reasons out there. I personally read the updates on all my devices that have firmware to see if I should update to that version for some reason. If not.. I may skip.
The OP is suggesting that you dont need the update because the camera is off the net and that makes sense...the camera should never be allowed internet access and therefore any exploit is irrelevant.
Bug repair or new function is the only real reason to update..

Reactions: RJF

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The OP is suggesting that you dont need the update because the camera is off the net and that makes sense...the camera should never be allowed internet access and therefore any exploit is irrelevant.
Bug repair or new function is the only real reason to update..
Eh... I would still be updating the firmware just in case I screwed something up while securing the cameras from the web... a new kind of virus infected a computer inside the network (who knows what the wife and kids are doing!), a misconfigured firewall/wifi router, etc.. Me? Paranoid? Perhaps... but better safe than sorry since I'm not a professional network security expert. I'm only a professional beer drinker. (well, at least I pretend I am)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Eh... I would still be updating the firmware just in case I screwed something up while securing the cameras from the web... a new kind of virus infected a computer inside the network (who knows what the wife and kids are doing!), a misconfigured firewall/wifi router, etc.. Me? Paranoid? Perhaps... but better safe than sorry since I'm not a professional network security expert. I'm only a professional beer drinker. (well, at least I pretend I am)
If a virus has penetrated your network, then they dont need to access your cameras to cause damage...anyone who can do that will make child's play out of firmware...

Ciber

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, yea it would be nice to prevent that... is there a similar map for Dahua cameras? Are cameras contacting the web somehow? Is there a way to isolate them to only be able to communicate with the PC that acts as the NVR? I use Tomato firmware on the network router.

Last edited: