Illegal log in attempt on NVR question

Umut

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will disabling this solve the log in attempts or is it just a safety precaution?
It will solve the log in attempts. Also it's a safety precaution.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Be aware, strengthening your password is a good idea but uiltimately if you port forward you're making it easy for anyone to get in.

Goggle isn't the only search engine out there. Hackers use Shodan which basically shows up millions of entries that google and similar engines hide. Every single device connected to the internet that isn't correctly hidden shows and can be found in one of the OSINT search engines. Not only the device, but what it is, it's location etc. So someone out for no good could search cameras and your location eg florida, in which case every single camera attached to the internet in florida would show up. Click on yours, and it shows you exact location to as close as is possible and your IP address and port. From there, the hacker has everything they need to get started. So far as passwords are concerned, passwords won't stop a hacker because as Alastair explained above, cameras have vulnerabilities than enable hackers to either bypass logins entirely rendering your passwords useless, or alternatively there are vulnerabilites where they can command the camera to tell them your login and password! In which case they just then login in using it. No matter how strong your password is, it's no use if it can be bypassed or reveals itself. What you need is a VPN but not the paid for type. One that runs on your router locally and enables you to set up a secure remote connection with your phone app. This then hides your router / cameras presence on the internet so it cannot be detected by search engines, even using OSINT, and does not reveal it's IP / port address. In addtion, to enter the router, the hacker if they can find it by other means would have to break the VPN encryption which would take a very long time with a building sized super computer so is very very unlikely.

In simple terms therefore:

Port Forwarding - Router shouts I'm here connect to me and reveals everything needed to do that ie IP address, open ports etc.

VPN - Router hidden, IP hidden, from search engines and internet generally, doesn't respond to pings or port scans, any adverse remote connection to it via the VPN route requires breaking the encryption.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Port forwarding can be enabled without your knowledge with features such as UPnP if enabled on the router.

Suggestion :
Check for any inbound access with one of the various services that will do this for you.
For example try ShieldsUp! here : GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling
First use the 'All Service Ports' selection.
Then use the 'User Specified Custom Port Probe' for port 8000 and 8080
Okay I disabled all UPNP in my NVR as well as my Xfinity x8 router/modem. Then did the shields up testing as suggested. Everything came back good other than saying I did respond to a ping.
I looked in all settings in my router and could not find anything about VPN. So not sure what my options are in that area. Attached is my router info

Attachments

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what I can expect to see in the future with UPNP disabled? Will devices not connect easily now or something? I assumed it serves some purpose I wasn’t aware of. Just so I know what to expect if I run into an issue

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Basically you will have to manually add any new device by entering in the wifi SSID name and password. Small inconvenience worth it for the security.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Or you could momentarily turn upnp back on, connect your device and then re-disable upnp. Slightly more risky but the chances of it co-inciding with a hacking attempt are very low if it's on for eg less than 1 minute. Slight risk is there though. Always best to check your network map and see what's connected anyway and make sure you can identify everything in there and that nothing has an external ip.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I disabled all UPNP in my NVR as well as my Xfinity x8 router/modem. Then did the shields up testing as suggested. Everything came back good other than saying I did respond to a ping.
It would have been more interesting to do the ShieldsUp! inbound vulnerability check before making any configuration changes, then you could see what ports UPnP had opened without your explicit configuration of the router.
Then disable UPnP and recheck to confirm there is no longer any inbound access.
Presumably though you'll no longer see any illegal login attempts on the NVR.

It's not ideal that the router responds to a ping from the internet, though it's not a big problem.
What would be a problem though is if 'Allow remote router configuration' was enabled - though that would likely have been spotted by ShieldsUp!
Maybe check the router configuration menus to be sure.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It would have been more interesting to do the ShieldsUp! inbound vulnerability check before making any configuration changes, then you could see what ports UPnP had opened without your explicit configuration of the router.
Then disable UPnP and recheck to confirm there is no longer any inbound access.
Presumably though you'll no longer see any illegal login attempts on the NVR.

It's not ideal that the router responds to a ping from the internet, though it's not a big problem.
What would be a problem though is if 'Allow remote router configuration' was enabled - though that would likely have been spotted by ShieldsUp!
Maybe check the router configuration menus to be sure.
I can enable it again to do as you suggested.
I did see remote log in on the router and it was disabled. Not sure if that’s the same thing.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Most routers won't disable ports that have already been opened using UPnP if you later turn it off. Turning it off will stop future opening but it's not retroactive. Once a port has been opened, it stays open.

I don't like ShieldsUp a lot. It can give a false sense of security. It doesn't by default scan everything so unless the ports are common service ports or below 1056 it's not going to show up in the scan. Also only does TCP, not UDP. There used to be some better free ones out there but all that I knew have gone to paid services now. Better to use nmap or similar scanner from another machine/outside connection.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Most routers won't disable ports that have already been opened using UPnP if you later turn it off. Turning it off will stop future opening but it's not retroactive. Once a port has been opened, it stays open.
Agreed, up to a point.
Power-cycling the router after UPnP has been disabled will close any ports that it had opened.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agreed, up to a point.
Power-cycling the router after UPnP has been disabled will close any ports that it had opened.
So should I not enable UPnP to scan it again?
or if I do just power cycle the router afterwards?

good sign, I have not had any log in attempts since disabling it. I was getting them nightly

MarcK

n3wb
Reaction score
All my cameras are on an internal network. There is one port in the router opened for BlueIris access. Malwarebytes detects (and stops) a very large number of attempts to connect to BlueIris, and the BlueIris password is strong. Seems to be working.