iDMSS Failure to connect over cell service only

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay thanks for confirmation that it's still open issue.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I fixed my failed to connect issue with iDMSS app. Was scratching my head for a while this morning as other ios apps like IP Cam worked but iDMSS always fail to connect. The static route entry didn't work for me so removed that from my router. Then I went back in OpenVPN setting on router and tried the switch from "Auto" to the "All sites on the internet and Home Network" setting again. Fortunately, this time it worked like a charm without even needing to reboot the router!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats what did it for me
"All sites on the internet and Home Network"

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thats what did it for me
I made the "All sites on the internet and Home Network" setting change the other day and it still didn't work. Somehow it worked this morning on my second attempt at that setting change. The only thing different was I also removed iDMSS from my iPhone and reinstalled it this morning so maybe that combo got it to clear out any cached info....

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats what did it for me
I fixed my failed to connect issue with iDMSS app. Was scratching my head for a while this morning as other ios apps like IP Cam worked but iDMSS always fail to connect. The static route entry didn't work for me so removed that from my router. Then I went back in OpenVPN setting on router and tried the switch from "Auto" to the "All sites on the internet and Home Network" setting again. Fortunately, this time it worked like a charm without even needing to reboot the router!
What is this under? Asus doesn't have a setting like this or if so it is labeled differently. The only thing it might be is "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic." Maybe a screenshot would help.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For Netgear router, it is located in Advanced tab -> Advanced Setup -> VPN Service. At bottom there are radio buttons for selecting the "All sites on the internet and Home Network".

Attachments

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For Netgear router, it is located in Advanced tab -> Advanced Setup -> VPN Service. At bottom there are radio buttons for selecting the "All sites on the internet and Home Network".
Thank you! Doing a little more digging it seems that "All sites on the internet and Home Network" in Netgear routers is the same as "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" in Asus routers. Currently I have this set to "no." Ideally it is advised not to enable this but I will test to see if it works. Basically these settings mean that ALL internet traffic will go through your router (ie. uses your WAN ip address).
Here is a quote that sums it up:
"Ideally the majority of users should keep the Redirect Internet Traffic option disabled. It means the remote client will still use his own WAN access for all Internet traffic, and only use the VPN tunnel when trying to access a resource in the home LAN network. This is what VPNs were originally designed to do."

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you! Doing a little more digging it seems that "All sites on the internet and Home Network" in Netgear routers is the same as "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" in Asus routers. Currently I have this set to "no." Ideally it is advised not to enable this but I will test to see if it works. Basically these settings mean that ALL internet traffic will go through your router (ie. uses your WAN ip address).
Here is a quote that sums it up:
"Ideally the majority of users should keep the Redirect Internet Traffic option disabled. It means the remote client will still use his own WAN access for all Internet traffic, and only use the VPN tunnel when trying to access a resource in the home LAN network. This is what VPNs were originally designed to do."
Yes, making this setting forces all internet traffic go through vpn tunnel. That is the drawback as my previous setting was set to "Auto" which worked for ios apps like IPCam and other NVR apps but the stubborn iDMSS would fail to connect every time. Now I just remind myself to disconnect from OpenVPN once I'm done viewing my NVR and cameras. Hopefully in the future there is an update to iDMSS ios app where I can revert back to previous setting.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can now confirm that enabling "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" on Asus routers allows iDMSS to work while connected via OpenVPN over cellular (T-Mobile or other networks using IPv6).

Peetz

n3wb
Reaction score
I can now confirm that enabling "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" on Asus routers allows iDMSS to work while connected via OpenVPN over cellular (T-Mobile or other networks using IPv6).
Strange - I have an Asus router as well and all I have set there is "Push LAN to Clients" I have your setting off - and I can connect fine.

Well, as long as it's working for 'ya...

edit - I gather this is just an IPV6 issue...

Last edited:

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Strange - I have an Asus router as well and all I have set there is "Push LAN to Clients" I have your setting off - and I can connect fine.

Well, as long as it's working for 'ya...

edit - I gather this is just an IPV6 issue...
Yes, the issue is with T-Mobile since they only use IPv6. All other carriers (Sprint, Verizon, & AT&T) use IPv4.

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same issue using iVMS-4500 and t-mobile I use openvpn. I have a Linksys wrt3200. I can’t seem to find the setting that you guys speak of. Any Ideas are greatly appreciated. I have a iPhone 7 Plus also.
Thanks
Mark

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a Linksys router to check with but it should be in the VPN advance settings if you have that option in your Linksys firmware. Else, you could flash to other firmware like dd-wrt.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem on a S9+ it used to work fine 2 months ago, but has stopped working on EE.
They blame the app, and said delete it and re install it, which I did, it worked once, then never again!

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know is a old thread but I have the DMSS and only can use the app on home wifi. No remote connection,I'm using a lorex NVR and lorex app. But the DMSS app look nice and easy to use.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
To use it outside your home wifi network you’ll need to setup a vpn per this thread

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh that is the only way to used out of wifi then. The app looks and work like the lorex. I liked because the smart search is easy and faster.
Thanks Big

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s technically possible to use P2P which is built into the NVR, but I don’t recommend it