iDMSS Failure to connect over cell service only

mch85

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day all,

I'm pretty new to the Dahua system, I just got it installed last month. So far I'm not sure what I've done wrong but I cannot connect using the iDMSS app when I'm on cell service.

When I'm on wifi, but not at home I can connect and see my cameras when I have my VPN connection ON. When no VPN I cannot see cameras on wifi away from home. This seems correct.

With VPN ON and using cell service, I cannot see the cameras. I just get "failed to connect".

Just seems odd, I can turn a hotspot on from my wife's phone, connect to it so then I have a "wifi" connection and then the cameras work just fine.

Yesterday I tried port forwarding the recommended ports, verified through the port checking website and they showed good but no change.

In iDMSS I'm connecting using IP/Domain with IP address of the camera, port 37777 then username/pw. I assume this is all correct for going through a VPN.

Hope someone has seen this issue before!

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
There may be a setting on your iPhone that is off. Maybe mobile networks is off or maybe something not letting you use that much data over a mobile network?

mch85

n3wb
Reaction score
I did a lot of research and found that it's a T-mobile issue, they use IPV6 and the openVPN on all Netgear routers does not support IPV6. So can't use VPN with Tmobile and netgear. At least on the official firmware.

I can open ports and connect just fine... just doesn't seem that safe.

Oz26

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having same issue that I can't connect using my mobile data which is with virgin mobile Australia.

App works perfectly when connected through home wifi

What can be done to see it remotely again?

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also getting a "failed to connect" message in iDMSS with OpenVPN over the cellular network (T-Mobile). I don't have any problems with gDMSS on Android. I left feedback through the iDMSS app saying the same.

I will also add that I can access files on the network over cellular on iOS. I don't understand how this is possible but streaming on iDMSS isn't so I believe this is a iDMSS problem.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
hmmmmm.... i run OpenVPn on a Netgear router at home. When out 'n about using Tmobile cellular, (which sucks for most everything else) I have no problem - Launch OpenVPN, launch iDmss (Lite or Plus), connect to Dahua DVR....

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmmmmm.... i run OpenVPn on a Netgear router at home. When out 'n about using Tmobile cellular, (which sucks for most everything else) I have no problem - Launch OpenVPN, launch iDmss (Lite or Plus), connect to Dahua DVR....
I'm trying to connect to only 1 camera. I swear I tested it right when I set it up and it worked but then my wife said the other day it wasn't working. I tried everything; reboot phone, reboot camera, reboot router, uninstall then reinstall iDMSS. What phone and OS are you on? My wife has an iPhone 6s on 11.1 and just updated to 11.2. I just find it strange that I can access everything on my LAN through OpenVPN but can't connect to the camera via iDMSS but can connect through Safari (which isn't useful unless I want to change settings).

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
6s running IOS 11.1

Setup in iDMSS as IP/Domain
You sure you have the IP in Device Manager set to an IP in your LAN?

I know at first I had a problem connecting because the VPN used a different internal range. I re-nstalled the VPN client and chose “all sites on the internet and home network” on the Netgear VPN setup page

Then I rebooted the router and DVR and all was good

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
6s running IOS 11.1

Setup in iDMSS as IP/Domain
You sure you have the IP in Device Manager set to an IP in your LAN?

I know at first I had a problem connecting because the VPN used a different internal range. I re-nstalled the VPN client and chose “all sites on the internet and home network” on the Netgear VPN setup page

Then I rebooted the router and DVR and all was good
Hmmm, so you pretty much have the same setup except that I have an Asus router.

I do have the correct IP in Device Manager. I can connect locally just not remotely over cellular with VPN and iDMSS. gDMSS on my Android phone connects as it should.

I just downloaded another app (IP Cam Viewer) and tested with VPN and it works so I'm really dumbfounded as to why iDMSS isn't working.

What are your OpenVPN settings on your phone under Settings>OpenVPN? What version of iDMSS are you running?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So this is weird timing, I'm now having similar problems. VPN is connecting fine over cellular, amazingly fast to make a connection as it always did. HOWEVER.... its dropping packets like crazy. Tried from 3 or 4 different locations yesterday, and again this morning, same result. Connects super fast, then immediately starts stuttering and dropping packets. Checked the DVR itself, my router and cable connection, all fine.. kinda stumped

Notice 8 seconds since last packet received...I'm way outta my knowledge zone here, but it's definitely different than it has been..

IMG_7969.jpg IMG_7975.jpg

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have the exact same settings as my wife's phone. When you expand the Connection Details (hit the blue + in the Bytes In/Out row) are you connected via IPv4 or IPv6 and what protocol is it using?

I don't think your "Packet received" is a big deal. When sitting stagnant my Android phone will go up to 15 seconds until a packet is received. It's probably due to no information being sent/received. Now if you are transferring data then that would be a problem.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IPv4
Protocol UDPv6

I suppose you're right about the packets, weird how just last few days I'm getting jerky video playback though and all is fine locally on wifi..

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok now there's a difference. Her phone connects via IPv6 so maybe that is the problem? I don't know though because I force my Android to IPv6 (connects IPv4 otherwise) and everything still works perfectly fine.

How are you using IPv4? Also my understanding is that UDPv4 uses IPv4 and UDPv6 uses IPv6 but yours are mixed. My internet provider is Spectrum so I have IPv6 setup on my router but I don't know if that plays into any of this?

Could you screenshot your Netgear OpenVPN server settings?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Netgear settings are straight default on the VPM admin page, chose "“all sites on the internet and home network” at the bottom

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I give up then... All of our settings seem to be the same. I have absolutely no clue why it's not working unless it's an issue using T-Mobile. Do you know what bands you connect to in your area?

Last edited:

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should be able to Dial *3001#12345#* > Hit Call Button > Serving Cell Info > Freq Band Indicator. It will tell you the frequency you are connected to in real time and that is correlated to the bands:
Band 2 - 1900 MHz
Band 4 - 1700 MHz
Band 66 - 2100 MHz
Band 12 - 700 MHz
Band 71 - 600 MHz

Are you typically on LTE, 4G, or 3G?

Also I was wrong about OpenVPN connecting via IPv6, it is also using IPv4 like yours. I'm not sure why the protocol is UDPv6. This doesn't change anything but wanted to add if there is any confusion for anyone else reading.

Last edited:

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Was there a solution to this as I may be experiencing same problem?

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was there a solution to this as I may be experiencing same problem?
I never found a solution. I would email Dahua about it. I emailed them but they think it's because of the network even though other apps work fine. The more people bring this up maybe they will address it.