Idiot here in need of help

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have never setup an internet/webcam and have no idea how to use ip settings. The last time I used this forum was to setup an Axis high end camera which I believe to be broken so I gave up sold it and moved on. Now I am trying to setup a "Linksys WVC11B" out of box, so this thing should work. I read the instruction and one tells me "If you want to connect the camera to a wireless network(I do), refer to the user guide. Looking over the user guide it says "verify that your PC and camera are connected to the network and the camera is configured properly". It says...
1. Make sure your computer has the following wireless settings: • SSID - linksys • Network Mode - Ad-Hoc • Channel - 6 • WEP - Disabled - None of which I know how to do.

It also says
"To access the Utility, launch Internet Explorer, and enter the Camera’s IP address in the Address field. (The default IP address is 192.168.1.115.) Then press Enter. " Which of course I cannot do. It says "This site cannot be reached....took too long to respond."

Since I am here, lets assume my computer is connected to the network. Could someone please tell me how install this thing with a step by step process as if I am a 4 year old....
Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
change your computer' ip to 192.168.1.xxx to access to it, but there should have some tools to finish the IP address changing.
"change your computer' ip to 192.168.1.xxx" .....how do I do this and do I literally use three x's. I have ZERO experience with absolutely everything that involves setting up a internet camera. I for some reason assumed it was like bluetooth or a plug and play type of thing.

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
change your computer' ip to 192.168.1.xxx to access to it, but there should have some tools to finish the IP address changing.
during the setup process it askes me to use a "static ip address" or "automatic configuration dhcp" which if I select static it takes me to a screen where I enter ip address, subnet, gateway, primary dns, secondary dns. If I select Auto option, it asks me to select "infrastructure" or "ad-hoc"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah sounds like your home LAN is different than the IP of the camera.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.115, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1643659199778.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah sounds like your home LAN is different than the IP of the camera.

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.115, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1643659199778.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.
I couldn’t get past step two. After changing the settings to match what you showed I typed in the numbers in explorer and got a bunch of results and when I click on any of them it says can’t reach this page. Now my internet is so screwed up I couldn’t even access this page from my laptop I had to log in on my phone now. And for some screwy reason some websites load on my laptop but of course not this one. I run the troubleshooter and it says it couldn’t find anything wrong with internet connections but here I am now on my mobile device. This will be the most gratifying when I obliterate this camera and send it through the incinerator. Never in a million years would I think an internet camera would be not only this complicated for a beginner but this complicated to get help for. I was online with linksys tech support for 3-4 hours last night and only got the cam setup on my computer but still cannot view it.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but it sounds like you are a candidate for the consumer grade scan a QR code and you are up and running type of system.

Any type of better camera, whether it be the expensive Axis that you first tried or any other similar camera where you need some basic networking knowledge to set it up are all setup the same way. So if you cannot figure out one, then you will struggle with the others.

I would suggest looking at what we proposed again and giving it another try. These instructions have been used by lots of people successfully.

If you are still having trouble, then see if a friend or some techy can help you figure it out.

If not, then you need to look for the system you buy at a big box store as they will be more plug and play. Otherwise you will continue to get frustrated with the better cameras that require some basic networking ability just to get an image on your computer or phone.

Last edited:

info4tim

n3wb
Reaction score
I have never setup an internet/webcam and have no idea how to use ip settings. The last time I used this forum was to setup an Axis high end camera which I believe to be broken so I gave up sold it and moved on. Now I am trying to setup a "Linksys WVC11B" out of box, so this thing should work. I read the instruction and one tells me "If you want to connect the camera to a wireless network(I do), refer to the user guide. Looking over the user guide it says "verify that your PC and camera are connected to the network and the camera is configured properly". It says...
1. Make sure your computer has the following wireless settings: • SSID - linksys • Network Mode - Ad-Hoc • Channel - 6 • WEP - Disabled - None of which I know how to do.

It also says
"To access the Utility, launch Internet Explorer, and enter the Camera’s IP address in the Address field. (The default IP address is 192.168.1.115.) Then press Enter. " Which of course I cannot do. It says "This site cannot be reached....took too long to respond."

Since I am here, lets assume my computer is connected to the network. Could someone please tell me how install this thing with a step by step process as if I am a 4 year old....
Thank you for your time.
Hire a Pro!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
"change your computer' ip to 192.168.1.xxx" .....how do I do this and do I literally use three x's. I have ZERO experience with absolutely everything that involves setting up a internet camera. I for some reason assumed it was like bluetooth or a plug and play type of thing.
It's very similar to some of the steps you performed back in February with your PoE issue.

JBiz

n3wb
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but it sounds like you are a candidate for the consumer grade scan a QR code and you are up and running type of system.

Any type of better camera, whether it be the expensive Axis that you first tried or any other similar camera where you need some basic networking knowledge to set it up are all setup the same way. So if you cannot figure out one, then you will struggle with the others.

I would suggest looking at what we proposed again and giving it another try. These instructions have been used by lots of people successfully.

If you are still having trouble, then see if a friend or some techy can help you figure it out.

If not, then you need to look for the system you buy at a big box store as they will be more plug and play. Otherwise you will continue to get frustrated with the better cameras that require some basic networking ability just to get an image on your computer or phone.
Thank you for the motivation I needed to give it another try. I unhooked my computer from the internet(I’m assuming this mean wired and wireless connection) the went to “internet protocol version 4(tcp/ipv4) properties and changed it to match it identically to what “wittaj” suggested leaving the bottom section blank even though “empiretecandy” suggested otherwise. Then I plugged in cam(Ethernet to modem/router combo & power cable) and tried to go to “192.168.1.108” in explorer but get an error saying “you’re not connected to a network”. I’m assuming this is because my wifi is off because I unhooked conputer from internet. I even tried those setting with my wifi properties but once I change my IP address I loose internet access. The axis camera I believe now to be broken and it was sold for parts and after a 4 hour chat with linksys and their help it may just be an old camera that isn’t supported anymore.

I would just like to point out both of the main detailed suggestions (as conflicting as they are) are mentioning dahau cameras. I’m not sure if dahau owns, bought out or makes linksys cameras but that’s what I have. A linksys wireless-B internet video camera WVC11B that was in an unopened box.

I do thank all of you for your help, but this may just be an old obsolete camera. The linksys sololink dons service website isn’t even up anymore I didn’t realize it was this old but came across it for $12 so not a big loss and no worries.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a bummer. Well I did change the IP in my post to match the IP of what you said the camera is, but you may be correct - many cameras, especially consumer grade, do require an internet connection (even if just at initialization) and if their website is no longer functional, that could certainly be it.

I have an old camera that is the same way.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do thank all of you for your help, but this may just be an old obsolete camera
That's affirmative. 320x240 resolution and only support for 802.11b (aka obsolete wifi with only insecure WEP support). 2004.