Identify discarded camera

nighteye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys. Very new to security cams. Some time ago I found a discarded camera in the dumpster. I finally decided I would like to identify it and get it running.

It is an eyeball (turret) style of camera with no branding that I can see. I even tried opening it up. I cannot find its IP address on the network in Windows too. I assume it is in a different IP range to the ethernet in the PC. The camera powers on over PoE and seems to operate, so that's good.

1) how would you go about quickly identifying the camera?
2) assuming it gets identified, which free security camera software would you recommend for Windows and which for Linux? I can go either way.

Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post a picture and we may recognize it.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes. Most people have a first mistake camera purchase. That was mine.

Maybe they're better now. I won't ever find out.
They lost me when the chat sales team would not tell me who or at least where they were manufactured and when they could not even answer the bandwidth capability of one of their NVRs.
Extremely happy with hikvision thus far.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Much better place to end up.

Didn't mean to derail your thread OP. As above, post some pics and we probably can track down what it is.

nighteye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys. I will have to investigate wireshark. I have heard about Wireshark quite a few times but never tried it. I was hoping I could find its mac address on pc with a tool like that too. I have tried the Hikvision SADP app and the Dahua app (I think it was Dahua) already with no success, btw. I don't think this cam is from those two brands unless my ethernet has to be in the same range that the cam is configured to? Yesterday I found a long list of links to all the various brands' apps but I was not keen on downloading them all one-by-one.

All the cameras look the same to me so I didn't post a pic earlier but it was a good suggesttion to do so, so here are some pics. There are small traces of black paint left on the camera because a vandal had spray-painted it black. I had to clean the paint off as best I could.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. I will have to investigate wireshark. I have heard about Wireshark quite a few times but never tried it. I was hoping I could find its mac address on pc with a tool like that too. I have tried the Hikvision SADP app and the Dahua app (I think it was Dahua) already with no success, btw. I don't think this cam is from those two brands unless my ethernet has to be in the same range that the cam is configured to? Yesterday I found a long list of links to all the various brands' apps but I was not keen on downloading them all one-by-one.

All the cameras look the same to me so I didn't post a pic earlier but it was a good suggesttion to do so, so here are some pics. There are small traces of black paint left on the camera because a vandal had spray-painted it black. I had to clean the paint off as best I could.
Looks like a Dahua OEM eyeball ..

Hikvision often has a square IR Led ..

nighteye

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like a Dahua OEM eyeball ..

Hikvision often has a square IR Led ..
It might be Dahua. Yesterday I tried 2 pieces of software from 2 manufacturers and I am not 100% sure the second one I tried was from Dahua. Thanks for the help. I will look into this again tonight.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
See if it comes up with this:

Dahua Config Tool

You can also open it up and look inside to see if there are any boards marked. It's simple to do. Unscrew the screws and the two halves will separate.

There may be a reset button inside. If Dahua, that will set it back to 192.168.1.108 as the default IP.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera powers on over PoE and seems to operate, so that's good.
As seen by the IR LEDs coming on, or by a status LED on the switch port it's connected to?
And does the link detect LED flash?

It also does look like a Hikvision turret camera.
Hikvision's SADP tool will find their devices on the same wiring as the PC independent of the IP address range each is using.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get inside there might be a reset button. You could find the reset procedure for both dahua and hikvision and try them both. Of course it might not have a reset button.

nighteye

n3wb
Reaction score
camera identified! :)
Dahua IPC-HDW1220C

As mentioned earlier, I tried opening her up but found no signs of the manufacturer (plus no reset switch or reset button that I could see).

All is working fine, as far as I can tell. Somehow I managed to reset the password in ConfigTool despite half the time not being certain what the program was telling me to do, or what it was doing after user input. Anyway, it worked so I am a happy camper.

A problem I found was that the cam's web server interface shows Chinese text instead of English. Maybe an easy fix but I could not work it out. Anyway, not that important.

I tried so many things a couple of days ago but the ConfigTool was not downloaded separately. Thanks everyone for the help.

Any recording software recommendations for a machine that will not be connected to the internet? I have been using iSpy and it is working fine but I wonder what free software you are all using and can recommend?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
BlueIris (BI) is not free, but not that expensive either ($55 currently through this forum - which usually has lower than retail prices). It might be over kill for recording one camera, but it is really the gold standard when it comes to computer based NVR systems.

BI has a great "trial" mode. Everything works under the trial, you will just have a "trial" watermark on your recordings. Obviously that isn't what you want long term, but it is a great way to try out the software before purchasing.