I remember when H.265+ was Da Big Thang. Now, most do not recommend it's use. What should the standard be?

Reaction score
This falls under the, if it's not broken, don't fix it. If it's worked for you and your happy, then why change?
But I really want to see that dust mote drifting across the camera :)
Actually I have not looked at actual Blue Iris recordings since my security event days. Since no events have happened I have relied 100% on UI3 alerts

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with adjusting the bitrates in the cameras setup.
I'm simply stating another reason why someone might not be using the latest and greatest codec.
The OP stated
Lately, I see the most recommended opinion is to use H.264+ or even H.264 instead of the latest greatest codec. Please forgive my misquotations on the different codecs use of "+" and "H" as haven't kept up to date on pro's/con's of each in the last year.
But please share your reasoning and personal experience of using the codecs you prefer. This will be helpful for future new folk learning what to set their systems up as well.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm simply stating another reason why someone might not be using the latest and greatest codec.
The OP stated
My point was, you are talking about changing compression strategy in BI settings. The comments here are talking about changing compression in the cameras settings.
You can use h265 settings on the camera, and still use BVR in BI, no need to change any settings in BI. BI eats what it is feed.

Reaction score
My point was, you are talking about changing compression strategy in BI settings. The comments here are talking about changing compression in the cameras settings.
You can use h265 settings on the camera, and still use BVR in BI, no need to change any settings in BI. BI eats what it is feed.
ah gotcha

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah didnt know that. I appreciate the info!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As it relates to which video codec really comes down to the hardware and compatibility. If the hardware uses solid compression technology that is to industry specifications use the latest for all the benefits.

If you need to port or integrate the video to other systems the choice has been made for you.

H.264 / H.265 are based on industry standards. H.264+ / H.265+ generally speaking is proprietary to each hardware vendor.

Some do well, some not so much!

My experience using H.265+ has been positive as it relates to bandwidth and storage. The problem comes when certain features are not available because the hardware isn’t powerful enough to support both codec & features.

Regardless, the benefits of which codec really comes down to the hardware vendor. Having used and played around with Dahua cameras it’s pretty clear this company just throws shit at the wall to see if it will stick.

Their version of H.265+ isn’t used by the general public or doesn’t translate to paper spec vs real world because it’s shit. It’s like their internal clock that constantly drift and needs extremely short NTP updates to correct time drift.

Than, you have endless threads where people state their use of LED’s for their version of 24.7.365 nighttime color is as bright as a cell phone?!?

Why?!?

Shit LED hardware pretending to be a flood light. A camera that has a good sensor to MP combination will use the extra LED light to its full potential. So it doesn’t need to be a million lumens.

Than, the most comical thing is reading people seeing odd and unreliable operations of the camera when edge recording is in place?!? Micro SD cards getting wiped, damaged, to missing data???

Why???

Just shit firmware that doesn’t know how to handle writing to storage media!

At the end of the day a person uses what (codec) they have on hand that offers the best reliability and quality of video. Given network hardware and storage is so much cheaper today it’s not a huge factor unless you have limited finances to support the same.

If people can compare different brands with what they have on hand the results are easily seen.

Since H.264 is used so often on Dahua hardware that simply tells you it’s their implementation and execution of the same is lacking in the other codecs.

Rock On . . .

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was told my i7-3770-Optiplex 7010 wasn't gonna cut it for h265 support. And that if I want to run with the Big Dogs, I would need to go up to at least an i7-6700 generation processor. Being new, I made sure everything was set to H264. I found some cams defaults were not H264, but H264H or whatever.
When I got my Big boy computer with an i5-8500, I could have run it,,, but I was reading things here I think somewhere they said it takes more hardware horsepower to run H265

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I was told my i7-3770-Optiplex 7010 wasn't gonna cut it for h265 support. And that if I want to run with the Big Dogs, I would need to go up to at least an i7-6700 generation processor. Being new, I made sure everything was set to H264. I found some cams defaults were not H264, but H264H or whatever.
When I got my Big boy computer with an i5-8500, I could have run it,,, but I was reading things here I think somewhere they said it takes more hardware horsepower to run H265
My i7-6700 has 10 cams running H265 and another system I'm responsible for is a i5-8500 with 10 cams running H265 plus 1 H264 PTZ.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will allow H265 recording, just not Hardware acceleration of H265, which we shouldn't be using now because of the substreams.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Handy for those who view their cams in Real-Time and use BlueIris. Blue Iris now has support for "Direct to Wire", but limited to H.264, so relevant to this discussion.
This feature needs to be enabled in the encoder options in the web server settings, but bloody hell it removes a lot of processing.
1659406564642.png

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting. How does this work exactly? And whatare the benefits, besides using less system resources?
Does it have less latency? Does it matter if the cams are H.264H?
You nailed it, lower latency (closer to real-time) for viewing live footage, yes looks to be working for H.264H
This "direct to wire" option appears available anywhere the encoding menu is offered, eg: email alert videos. I use the "high" profile as traditionally that has provided excellent compression\performance over the default "main" profile.

No help to playing back recordings, won't include any post processing like Blue Iris overlays.
I have been able to reduce resource usage during remote playback when I enable the (BETA) Quicksync (QSV) option under HVA as shown below.
All these little enhancements add-up, really happy with how little resources it now takes to run BI.

1659411753476.png

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had high hopes for h.265+ Smart Codec. It saves a ton of space and creates superb image quality, but it doesn't allow the I-frame to be set, and therefore causes scrubbing videos to be unmanageable.

Regular h.265 VBR has garbage quality with motion. Whatever is moving ends up looking like trash.

h.265 CBR consumes as much space as h.264 and I couldn't tell any difference in image quality.

Here was my post on the subject;

H.265 Smart Codec, i-frames, and CBR/VBR

If somehow h.265 Smart Codec could allow I-frames to be set, it would be an excellent option for both video quality and bandwidth reduction. Or if you don't care about ability to scrub, it works great. I review clips several times a day though, so scrubbing is a necessary function.