I got lucky - and need to get lucky - here's why . . .

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's some more to have a look at. The 8MP cameras are amazing but are only truly useable IF you have enough ambient light, add some accent lights or use the onboard warm LEDs. Don't get too enamored with "wide, sweeping views" and the "I can see everything around my whole house" lines of thought. Yes, the wide views are nice but when the rubber hits the road they are useless to identify anyone unless they're within ten feet or so of the camera.

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

Dual Sensor 4K

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

PTZ Cameras

180 Degree FOV 4K

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi thread helpers. I'm still absorbing all the data and input give previous to this post above. I am getting closer to, but, still on the fence about the Empire Tec IPC-T5442T-2E black.

That said, I was surfing on AMAZON this morning finding all the Dahua cameras and briefly looking at them. I came across this Dahua. Would this camera encompass the parameters that you all are teaching me; before I get it all learned and can judge cameras and specs for myself??? It's heck of a deal. However, it is a fixed lens and I hate to buy any kind of merchandise from third parties.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We suggested the varifocal as it allows more flexibility.

Andy sells a fixed lens version as well.

You have to be careful where you buy from. Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1667322278130.png

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, what do you think about Blue Iris Cloud based storage. Can it be as thorough and benficial function and feature wise as a Blue Iris Server which I am now building and may stop regarding your answers. Is the cloud safe and secure? I've always been kinda leery of anything cloud based but maybe I need to break that apprehension. MarvinK

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, what do you think about Blue Iris Cloud based storage. Can it be as thorough and benficial function and feature wise as a Blue Iris Server which I am now building and may stop regarding your answers. Is the cloud safe and secure? I've always been kinda leery of anything cloud based but maybe I need to break that apprehension. MarvinK

You would still need the server. The cloud is simply a place to send offsite video to.

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We suggested the varifocal as it allows more flexibility . . . You have to be careful where you buy from. Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

View attachment 144484
I forgot about the fake stuff. Thanks for the reminder. No wonder the deal. I think fake cameras were mentioned further up in the post

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the EmpireTec IPC-T5442T-ZE Black. Question - When using Blue Iris 5 with that camera is it necessary to also load a mini SDCard into the camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great choice!

No you do not need an SD card, but many of us do as a redundant backup.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SD cards are cheap and easier to put them in before you hang them LOL.

And then in the event the BI computer konks out for some reason or is stolen, you have video on the SD card.

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's cheap back up insurance.
Samsung Evo Plus cards work well.
Yes I have 2 Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB MicroSDXC / UHS-1 / U3 / V30 but have never used them yet. Sometimes wondering if 128GB is enough for this purpose. (hint hint :idk: )
Hey looney2ns (clever) I just read your tag lines at the bottom of your posts. Great tip(s). I just went to Wiki and was very pleased with what I saw. Will reference it more often. Thanks, MarvinK

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I have 2 Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB MicroSDXC / UHS-1 / U3 / V30 but have never used them yet. Sometimes wondering if 128GB is enough for this purpose. (hint hint :idk: )
Hey looney2ns (clever) I just read your tag lines at the bottom of your posts. Great tip(s). I just went to Wiki and was very pleased with what I saw. Will reference it more often. Thanks, MarvinK
Many of us have learned that you do not want the SD card recording continuously. The processors in the camera are small and can hiccup and get wonky when trying to figure out what to delete and overwrite.

But many have also ran it continuous recording fine.

But most will have it record on motion triggers only, at which point 128GB should be enough for months or a couple days depending on how much triggering there is. Plus it should allow the card to last longer!

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many of us have learned that you do not want the SD card recording continuously. The processors in the camera are small and can hiccup and get wonky when trying to figure out what to delete and overwrite.

But many have also ran it continuous recording fine.

But most will have it record on motion triggers only, at which point 128GB should be enough for months or a couple days depending on how much triggering there is. Plus it should allow the card to last longer!
Thanks again, good tip and advice. MarvinK

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there, me again. I'm ordering my camera's today. I am going over budget for sure, but must do so to to keep in line and on the same pages with IPCAMTALK and participants.

One thing I am not too well versed on is HDD and cache for finishing up the BI server Friday. On Amazon there are two Western Digital 2TB drives one says 256 cache here it is 256 cache at $63.99 - - - and the other says 64 Cache but is more expensive. Here it is 64 Cache and $76.43.

Can I get some help on which one is best for application to my new BI Server?

Thanks, MarvinK

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buy the 4tb, you will be glad you did.
In researching the Western Digital (which I am partial to WD) I noticed it utilizes SMR technology vs IVS. That, I don't like. Is there another brand you might suggest looney2ns or anyone else? I realize WD was not suggested but I used that terminology in my question anyway.

MarvinK