I got lucky - and need to get lucky - here's why . . .

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This morning I once again bumped into ipcamtalk by coming across this thread - Reolink RLC-810A Cameras - Lots of Problems with Blue Iris. From that thread i realized the mistake I had made in buying two Reolink RLC-810A and so I set out to correct my mistake.

I have been setting up my small home security system. It will eventually involve 5 cameras. I started with 2 RLC-810A cameras. Then I started researching Blue Iris 5. Then I started building an inexpensive AMD platformed BI5 server with spare parts from my DIY Windows PC's building drawer and cabinet.

So, the above linked ipcamtalk thread made me jump into trying to return 2 each - RLC810A's this morning which were already 12 days beyond the return window. Thankfully, the return request for both was approved and I will return them today. That's the "i got lucky" part of this thread title.

Now for the "and need to get lucky" portion. I need to order today two new PoE cameras. I need to get lucky and quickly receive some really good ipcamtalk experienced advice on which cameras to buy today to replace the Reolinks.
  1. I want 2 very good quality 4K with color and night vision
  2. I guess I will want f=4.00mm
  3. Bullet or turret or dome; whichever is best suggested
  4. Fully compatible with BI5 and not requiring any special jury rigging
  5. PoE
  6. Hopefully black units; But, I can always paint them if I want
  7. Both units total shouldn't go any higher than $200.00 USD total
  8. AI human and vehicle
  9. Outdoor
  10. Available on Amazon
So, that's my story in getting acquainted with and starting interaction with ipcamtalk. I sure hope I can get some help. By the way - does anyone know how long the special ipcamtalk pricing for Blue Iris 5 will last? I've to get it purchased too.

I anxiously wait for the forum's advice

Kind Regards,

MarvinK

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome and glad you could return!

Don't chase MP LOL. A good 4K camera will cost over $200 (but not much more).

But keep in mind the good 4K cameras are full color, but the cameras are not magic and do not defy physics - ALL CAMERAS NEED LIGHT. You either need enough ambient light or be willing to use the built-in white LEDs and should you not be in a position to do either, then you need a camera with infrared capabilities.

Based on what you provided, this is the camera you want and is available in black (it is 4MP but is the current king in all around situations):

And since you are researching and coming from Reolink, take a look at the following threads:

The importance of chasing focal length over MP and recommendations on commonly used cameras based on distance:

The importance of chasing sensor size over MP. Your reolinks were put on the same sensor as a camera designed for 2MP...You could find a 4K that is under $200 but then it will be on a smaller sensor and will perform poorly at night.

The special BI pricing here has been that for as long as I can remember LOL

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome and glad you could return! Don't chase MP LOL. A good 4K camera will cost over $200 (but not much more) . . .The special BI pricing here has been that for as long as I can remember LOL
I'm glad you included the two articles. I need to learn quickly. However, relative to your suggested camera . . . OUCH! But, the articles you provided will probably validate it. I hate to give up one of the two desired front of house cameras, but, maybe one will work just fine with relocation.

Thanks for starting the help session.

MarvinK

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wittaj - I looked at the camera on Amazon and the pictures from some of the reviewers. How on freakin' earth does that camera produce such excellent 4mp pictures? I was stunned!!!! Thanks for the tip.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wittaj - I looked at the camera on Amazon and the pictures from some of the reviewers. How on freakin' earth does that camera produce such excellent 4mp pictures? I was stunned!!!! Thanks for the tip.

Because a camera on the proper MP/sensor ratio will beat a cheaper camera on the wrong MP/sensor ratio all night long!

And some of the cheaper cameras are not really 4K but fake it in the firmware.

You would be better off starting slower and building the system than wasting the money to buy a cheaper camera now only to replace it in less than a year (many of us have been down that path LOL)

Too many people get fascinated with MP and Reolink is an expert of taking advantage of that by selling 8MP cameras on a sensor designed for 720p or 1080p, so it is poor at night, but then again so do so many consumer based cameras sell 4K cameras that are poor at night due to smaller sensors:

If cost is a primary driver, then go with a 2MP that will still produce a great IDENTIFY image at 10-15 feet out:

Some of my best captures have been with 2MP as you will see in that thread I linked.

And to see what you avoided, check out this thread of people giving their best shots at the quality of Reolink at night...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And then if even that is too expensive, while we wouldn't recommend this camera due to it not being on the proper MP/sensor ratio, it is a budget friendly camera that will beat the camera you returned hands down and will work with BI seamlessly. It can work in the right situation (usually inside where IR bounce happens from the walls or in decently lit areas)

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wittaj - I want to talk to Andy but can't find a phone number. Anyway, Is there a way to personal message you? I just want to ask a few simple questions about the first camera you suggested to me. It's growing on me LOL. If not, no problem, I'll just do more on this thread so others can see it too. MarvinK

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wittaj - I want to talk to Andy but can't find a phone number. Anyway, Is there a way to personal message you? I just want to ask a few simple questions about the first camera you suggested to me. It's growing on me LOL. If not, no problem, I'll just do more on this thread so others can see it too. MarvinK
We all talk to Andy thru the forum, DM here, or email.

Sure DM me and we can chat (hover mouse over my avatar and select start conversation).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy is in Hong Kong so you probably won't find a number. Try these links instead and he'll always answer a PM. Just remember he's in Hong Kong and the time differences involved.

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

Andy's instructional videos -

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We all talk to Andy thru the forum, DM here, or email.

Sure DM me and we can chat (hover mouse over my avatar and select start conversation).
I think I might just do a post in about 30 minutes. Might be helpful to others. I'm still blown away by the day/night picture quality of that Empire Tech 4MP.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure no problem.

Yeah just a little bit better than the Reolink LOL. This is from their marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. Could this provide anything useful for the police? Will give you a hint - in between the two columns:

1666981463486.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay folks, so here's my issue. Yes, I know its for me to solve but would kinda appreciate some input.

H1 shows a portion of the front of my house. On the left end of the garage is one of my Reolinks. On the right of the picture you can see a portion of a window. Further to the right is a second window with the second Reolink above it.

In H1 also are red and green arrows. Those two locations would be the choices for covering the front door and hopefully H2 and H3. If I go the red arrow notice how easy it is to jump onto the the porch partial walls and steal the camera. Green arrow - not near as easy unless a ladder is available. Green arrow - does a better job of hiding the camera. Any opinion so far?

Is the field of view of the EmpireTech significant enough to cover both H2 and H3 which would be a 90 degree field of view so to speak. If we all determine it should/could then I have no need for two front cameras and I could pull the trigger on the EmpireTech 4mp and call it a day. All is opinions only and I am fully okay with that. Just wanting to talk it over with people who know what they're talking about - which is y'all. Lucky lucky you are. :)

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First you don't want to try to cover too much with one camera.

Second you always want to have one camera covering another camera so in the event someone tries to screw with it, you can get them on camera with the other one.

H2 for the porch you could get by with a 2.8 or 3.6mm 5442 which would be cheaper than the varifocal by a little bit.

If you want H3 to be able to IDENTIFY then you would need either the ZE or the Z4E varifocal

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL I was just going to post the boobie cam as an alternative, but you need to make sure you have enough protection overhead as domes outside can be problematic.

But it is a good camera in the right situation. I have two of them and they work well for my application.

It isn't the ideal MP/sensor ratio, but can be ok in tight quarters or if you have enough light.

That is a 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor designed for 2MP so it will take more light to go to color. I wouldn't consider it a low light camera.

Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

1666987273567.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

MarvinK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Y'all are being great. Much, much, much appreciated. Thanks allot. I've got some studying to do for sure.