HW acceleration errors and wonky behaviors...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf The "key" (iframe) rates on the Reolink cameras are showing as low as .25 with a high of .5 while the, I'm guessing, Dahuas are all showing 1.
Doesn’t that just mean that the Reolink is skimping on iframes to presumably reduce the size of the resultant output file/stream.

Didn’t think that that equates to a lowering of the overall frame rate, having typed that I have previously seem similar output pictures where the actual frame rate was dropping way below what was set on the cam with BI showing the frame rate as lower than that set.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Reolink varies the frae rate and key/iframe rate from second to second depending on whatever their firmware seems to "think" will produce a pretty picture. Unfortunately variations like that screw up real motion detection and hardware acceleration. You can "set" the frame rate but the camera will still vary it and there is no control of the key/iframe rate at all. Not really very good and certainly not even semi-professional.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj how can you tell from that screenshot that some cams dropped below 1fps? Had a look and I couldn't see anything obvious?
As others mentioned before I got to reply to this - it is the iframes that dropped below 1, but even more importantly...look at the substreams that do show a significant drop in the FPS. So a slow FPS on the substreams (where motion is detected in BI) coupled with an iframe/key rate of 0.25 and Blue Iris will miss motion...and these cams are notorious for using proprietary software slowing down FPS, shutter, iframes, increase gain, etc. to give a great static image with no motion... Think of it like VBR versus CBR - some people have no problem with VBR, but some cameras and locations suffer poorly from VBR. A few of my camera locations I cannot use VBR because the quality is so bad, while another camera on the other side of the house is fine with VBR....but at least I can control that...

1617218777931.png

Here is a link showing how it is impacted in Blue Iris...it liked totally missed the car moving in reverse back into the garage...