HW acceleration errors and wonky behaviors...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BI version: Version: 5.3.9.13 x64 (3/2/2021)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz [9%]
RAM: 6.89G/15.8G
Clips: 10396 items, 10.84T/11.91T
Storage:

I've noticed these errors in the log, as well as received push notifications to the BI app when the occur:

FORCE quitting CGadSocket thread
FORCE quitting pXServer thread
FORCE quitting camthread thread

I assumed them to be benign, having found another thread at IPCT where it seemed to clear for users after various BI updates. However, upon closer inspection, it appears once this error occurs on a specific camera, that camera's "Hardware decode:" option under the video tab of the camera's settings changes from default, to "no"

1615264704355.png

This is also reflected under the camera connections list under the consoles status page:

1615264897842.png

The HA column reflects the current HA configuration type, where "I" is Intel, and "I2" is Intel Beta. A "-" means no HW acceleration.

These errors appear at random, and on random cameras. It isn't as though there is a specific set of cameras that are not playing nice with the Intel HW selection. Sometimes it'll be my Dahuas, sometimes Hikvisions, sometimes Amcrest. I'm trying to figure out what could be causing the HWA to STB.

The error generally happens to a camera once - at which point it changes the HWA to "no" and then won't error again - since it's no longer using HWA. After several days of this happening to random cameras, I find myself with an ever-increasing CPU load as more and more cameras have HWA switched off. I'd be nice to know what is causing the error and prevent the disabling of HWA.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using H265 or any other setting than H264? If I recall, I thought you were a fourth generation CPU and that doesn't support H265 HA, so it would start as default and then BI would correct itself to NO (some earlier updates would just bug out instead). And codec or + in the camera is off?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm just reading the Wiki now and saw that H.265 isn't supported on my processor:
If your CPU supports Intel® Quick Sync Video, then you can use hardware acceleration in Blue Iris to reduce CPU and energy usage significantly with any camera streaming H.264. If your Intel CPU is 6th-generation (such as i5-6500) or newer, then you can use hardware acceleration for H.265 streams as well since around mid-April 2020 (beginning Blue Iris 5.2.5 or so).
That may be the ticket. I think I see an upgrade coming soon.

Would a PC built around an i7-4790 be able to just swap with a newer generation i7, or would the motherboard/PC need to be replaced?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just reading the Wiki now and saw that H.265 isn't supported on my processor:

That may be the ticket. I think I see an upgrade coming soon.

Would a PC built around an i7-4790 be able to just swap with a newer generation i7, or would the motherboard/PC need to be replaced?
It can be done. I looked into that myself with my 4th generation (which was how I remembered yours was because I was like HTF is he running that many cameras LOL) , but opted not to as it could have issues if you do not put the thermal paste on properly or if the intel chip is soldered on or if the new chip isn't compatible with the motherboard or if....

I decided that when it is time for an upgrade, I will just buy a new unit and not risk killing this one AND be out a couple hundred dollar chip. But if you are more risk adverse, it can be done.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Not really. The older I get, the less patience I have for things when they don't go as planned. Just cruising eBay for refurbs on older i7-6xxx and they're really reasonable (<$400) for a complete system.

I'm now going to each camera and changing them back from H.265 to H.264 for both main and sub stream. Interestingly, on the one camera which seems to error out and auto config to the no HWA setting, it was already set to H.264, with parms set to ideal bitrates/framerates, etc.

I'm wondering if at some point the GPU doesn't get saturated and then casts off whatever else requests processing time - and then fails. It just seems random both in frequency, and which cameras get kicked out.

I've changed 10 or so cams (the ones with the most activity) to disable the limited decode. CPU is still running in the high teens. I'll slowly start adding more until I see whether this addresses the delayed recording issue - and at what CPU penalty.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not really. The older I get, the less patience I have for things when they don't go as planned. Just cruising eBay for refurbs on older i7-6xxx and they're really reasonable (<$400) for a complete system.

I'm now going to each camera and changing them back from H.265 to H.264 for both main and sub stream. Interestingly, on the one camera which seems to error out and auto config to the no HWA setting, it was already set to H.264, with parms set to ideal bitrates/framerates, etc.

I'm wondering if at some point the GPU doesn't get saturated and then casts off whatever else requests processing time - and then fails. It just seems random both in frequency, and which cameras get kicked out.

I've changed 10 or so cams (the ones with the most activity) to disable the limited decode. CPU is still running in the high teens. I'll slowly start adding more until I see whether this addresses the delayed recording issue - and at what CPU penalty.
I agree a refurb is the way to go, I personally would not recommend "limit decode" as you can experience some weird behavior. If you do decide to upgrade your cameras, be sure to use sub-streams this really reduces load on the system.
PS; H.265 is always more resource intensive both on the PC and Cameras themselves. On a typical Dahua camera you can feel a temperature difference on a cam running H.264 vs H.265. I run H.265 but I do notice the temps on the cams.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Set your cameras to h.264. In my testing H.265 saves about 10% storage in outside video I run 15 fps with 15 iframe.

I have an i7-4790 with 16 GB memory, a 120 GB ssd for the C drive and a 4tb purple for video. There are 15 cameras mixed between inside and out with about 700 MP/Sec. The CPU runs at under 20%. I paid about $195 US for the i7 about 15 months ago. I have about 6 days of continuous video storage

My experience is to buy a good used PC and tune BI to run on it.

Set your hardware acceleration to intel.

Last edited:

Bryan M

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have a Reolink RLC-420 that has the same problem where you cannot enable hardware decode. It worked fine in the past, now with the latest BI version 5.3.9.17 it does not. I have tried ONVIF, Reolink (standard), Reolink (old firmware) drivers. With substreams and without. It is not critical as my CPU is handling the load, just wondered why it may have changed?
1617026055552.png
1617026307282.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's simple. Reolink and hardware encoding/acceleration are mutually exclusive techniques and terms because Reolink is junk. Look at the ratios of frame rate versus iframe and then look at what you have them set for in the cameras. They will never match what you set and prevent hardware acceleration and produce crappy video, especially at night.

Last edited:

Bryan M

n3wb
Reaction score
It's simple. Reolink and hardware encoding/acceleration are mutually exclusive techniques and terms because Reolink is junk. Look at the ratios of frame rate versus iframe and then look at what you have them set for in the cameras. They will never match what you set and prevent hardware acceleration and produce crappy video, especially at night.
Thanks for your opinion. HA does in fact work on the Reolink cameras. Without the HA my CPU will run at near 90%. I have been running this system for over two years and never had problems with "crappy video".

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ Please share a night-time sample of your non "crappy video"...

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You didn't comment regarding frame rate and iframe rates being not what you set them to and never getting to at least one iframe. That will indeed cause crappy video.

Facts is facts -

Compiled by mat200 -

Bryan M

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, you have my attention. I am not a camera guru and I am learning more each time I use Blue Iris. The system is working for me with the security coverage I have. I can't speak to your question about iframes. For my learning purposes: the cameras are set for 15fps and that is what shows on the camera summary. Is the iframe the same as the "key" that shows in the summary? I do not find any setting in my cameras for iframe or key frames.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for BI to work well the Main stream and the substream should have the same frame rate.

The Iframe and the Key frame are the same thing. The Iframe is a complete full frame, with all the colors and pixels. All other frames only have a little bit of data, only the data that has changed in blocks. depending on the compression method. So for a frame rate of 15 and an Iframe of 30, there are 29 incomplete frames and one full frame. The display software builds the incomplete frame into full frames for display, using the last iframe and the next iframe. REOLINK cameras do not use a stand method for there frame data, to reduce the data to there cloud, they do not provide a stand full Iframe at a standard interval (iframe). So the video data gets smeared when there is motion, a car driving by in low light.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me give you an example as to why Blue Iris and Reolinks do not work well together.

This was a screenshot of your Blue Iris status where they had set the cameras to 15FPS within the cameras (I suspect you are missing motion that you do not know you are missing....):

1617133192782.png

Now look at they key - that is the iframes. Blue Iris works best when the FPS and the iframes match. Now this is a ratio, so it should be a 1 if it matches the FPS. The iframes not matching (that you cannot fix or change with a reolink) is why they miss motion in Blue Iris and why people have problems. This is mainly why people are having issues with these cameras and there are many threads showing the issues people have with this manufacturer and Blue Iris. It is these same games that make the camera look great as a still image or video but turn to crap once motion is introduced.

The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and these cameras cannot do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... The iframe rates (something these cameras do not allow you to set) should equal the FPS, but at worse case be no more than double. This example shows the cameras going down to a keyrate of 0.25 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion detection is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...try to do AI Tools and it will be useless...Motion is based on substreams and 4 or 5 FPS with an iframe/key of 0.25 is a recipe for missed motion detection.

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either.

Now compare yours above to mine and cameras that follow industry standards that allow you to actually set parameters and they don't manipulate them. You will see that my FPS match what I set in the camera, and the 1.00 key means the iframe matches:

1614139197822.png

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But please post some night-time video to show us how well these cameras work...

Here is typically what folks post about those cameras and say it is great quality (that clearly isn't), which is a direct result of the camera adjusting settings to make the static image look great, but any motion and it is a complete blur mess...

1615050527249.png

This is an example from their marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy any system that you cannot change the shutter speed or control any other parameter. Could this provide anything useful for the police? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1613251115189.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:
I thought that was a spot of crap on the lens. I mean seriously that is the sort of thing I often see when it is raining and a drop of water is running down the dome of a PTZ with a bubble dome.

Bryan M

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh boy, this is getting involved. Sounds like there is not much I can do with my Reolink cameras. The garage & basement cameras however are FLIR models. They must be doing a similar thing cause the summaries are the same as the Reolink. I did see a 'GOV' setting on those cameras however.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj how can you tell from that screenshot that some cams dropped below 1fps? Had a look and I couldn't see anything obvious?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf The "key" (iframe) rates on the Reolink cameras are showing as low as .25 with a high of .5 while the, I'm guessing, Dahuas are all showing 1.