Hunting & Hikmicro - thermal scopes (Hikvision)

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Everybody’s probably used or seen a range finder. Think about something so beneficial to determine the range of your prey / target. Yet nobody in the consumer market has released a thermal scope with ranging?
Yes, it's been a bit frustrating to find the "one" that ticks all the boxes. Hikmicro has the New Gryphon Monoculars & Panther Scopes that have Laser range finders built in. The Gryphon features Bi-Spectrum Fusion (IR & Thermal combined) looks very interesting. Just throw in some onboard ballistics, for holdover and I'm sold!!

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
uploads_image_20220415_60f.png
Dahua just launched its Outdoor product lines.
As a keen thermal hunter, I've been lucky enough to add several thermal scopes and monoculars to my hunting kit over the last 6 months or so. I hunt 100% thermal these days, there's no going back, it's that good.

The Dahua M Series (M20, M40,& M60) are monoculars suitable for many purposes, including hunting.

The M20 would be good for a beginner, who didn't want to break the bank it has a 256x192 microbolometer @ 12μm pixel pitch, with a NETD ≤50 mK@f/1.0 the 10mm or 15mm variants would be the models to choose here.
Moving along to the M40 the 19mm & 25mm models would be suitable for an entry-level hunting device. Specs include a 400x300 microbolometer @ 17μm pixel pitch, with a NETD ≤50 mK@f/1.0. This one should give pretty good target detection, without breaking the bank. You could use this with confidence, saving some cash to splash out on a 640x 512 thermal scope.
The M60 is the top of the line offering with a 640x512 microbolometer @ 12μm pixel pitch, with a NETD ≤50 mK@f/1.0 available with an 18mm or 25mm objective, I would choose the 25mm if you are a serious hunter who needs more detail out past 200yds for target ID.

All in all seems to be some great initial offerings from Dahua, although I'm yet to see the quality of images they produce. Let's hope they continue to develop this line of products. I'm keen to see if they introduce a line of thermal scopes to add to the outdoor lines.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with sharing thermal footage is the quality of the exported footage. I have to export @720x526. So the footage is not as good as what you experience in the field.
Here's a sample of some of the footage we captured recently. The shooter for most of these targets, was a beginner, not having picked up a rifle for over 20years, but they do ok, or is it just the editing? lol
View attachment My Video.mp4