How to view Dahua cameras without browser plugins

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In Edge is the
Looks like microsoft has begun rolling out edge updates that permanently disable IE as of feb.14th. I can no longer run IE - it now redirects to &#$@&#$ edge.

Fortunately it looks like you can define sites/ip's for IE compatibility mode but they expire after a month (why?). This -seems- to be working, but heads up!

Adios IE...
So did they remove in your Edge: Settings > Default browser > Allow sites to be reloaded in IE Mode?

I just lost the ability of using the Easy Viewer extension for Chrome so this is my last tool for configuring my 8 camera's from what I read.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this for folks that still have access.

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How does Dahua stay in business if their customers need to go to these extents to configure their products?

Or are we just that stupid?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How does Dahua stay in business if their customers need to go to these extents to configure their products?

You have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Dahua or Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install and maintain this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from.

The installers use different tools and equipment to set these things up and probably have computers not connected to the internet in the field to set these up.

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Dahua or Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install and maintain this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from.

The installers use different tools and equipment to set these things up and probably have computers not connected to the internet in the field to set these up.

We are just fortunate to be able to get our hands on these types of cameras and a forum like this to help us troubleshoot when needed.
I learned something today and appreciate it.

Abula

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like microsoft has begun rolling out edge updates that permanently disable IE as of feb.14th. I can no longer run IE - it now redirects to &#$@&#$ edge.
I bet we will see a registry hack to bring it back, since its still available on Win10, just not accessible.

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I made a .vbs script with one line:

CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application").Visible=true

This starts IE. Seems to work in my W10 and tested also in one W11 PC.

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In Edge is the

So did they remove in your Edge: Settings > Default browser > Allow sites to be reloaded in IE Mode?

I just lost the ability of using the Easy Viewer extension for Chrome so this is my last tool for configuring my 8 camera's from what I read.
Yep. In the chit-chat forum there's a thread with a workaround to stop the redirection (hijacking) of IE to Edge.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Microsoft did away with Internet Explorer. But if you still want to use it, you can download and install "OpenInternetExplorer" from GitHub. Explorer was never erased from your system so "OpenInternetExplorer" permits Internet Explorer to continue to be used.
Works for both Windows 10 & 11.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or try following some of the suggestions in the recent threads that discuss how to get it back without having to go to github:

How to view Dahua cameras without browser plugins
In Edge is the Looks like microsoft has begun rolling out edge updates that permanently disable IE as of feb.14th. I can no longer run IE - it now redirects to &#$@&#$ edge. Fortunately it looks like you can define sites/ip's for IE compatibility mode but they expire after a month (why?)...

Looks Like Internet Explorer Died Today
This morning it was working fine to view my Hikvision NVR's. Then this afternoon I wanted to look at something and when I clicked to open IE it reverted me back to Windows Edge. I could not browse the NVRs using the IP addresses. So, come to find out Edge does have a section that will open in...

Looks Like Internet Explorer Died Today
This morning it was working fine to view my Hikvision NVR's. Then this afternoon I wanted to look at something and when I clicked to open IE it reverted me back to Windows Edge. I could not browse the NVRs using the IP addresses. So, come to find out Edge does have a section that will open in...

Darkhawk

n3wb
Reaction score

It is preferable to alter cam configs through the NVR user interface, though you can download Smart PSS from Dahua wiki site for configuring. It's free and pretty versatile, sometimes crashes though, but I've learnt to tolerate that. It's good software for remote viewing and quick config tweaks if you offsite, away from the NVR location.

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is preferable to alter cam configs through the NVR user interface, though you can download Smart PSS from Dahua wiki site for configuring. It's free and pretty versatile, sometimes crashes though, but I've learnt to tolerate that. It's good software for remote viewing and quick config tweaks if you offsite, away from the NVR location.
Both of your solutions don't address the configuration of IVS Events. On my Linux box I've had to install VirtualBox, Win XP and IE 8.0. Being someone who is anti-windoze it's painful to have to resort back to them for a solution.

tlp123

n3wb
Reaction score
Will these browser viewing issues be resolved in the future with firmware updates for Web 5.0 devices or is this the new norm? I am seriously considering reverting back to Web 3.0 cameras and they are infinitely more stable, easier to view and configure across multiple browsers. Note to self. Bleeding edge camera's are not a lot of fun.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Web 5.0 in theory is supposed to work with other browsers, but those that can get "under the hood" of the firmware still see some goofy stuff when using different browsers.

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've needed to regress to running a VM with Win XP and IE8 and it works fine. One thing I need to keep repeating is that every time I log into a camera, every month or so, I'm prompted "Please click here to download and install the plugin" instead of viewing live video. I'm then prompted to either Run or Save "webplugin.exe" then prompted to "totally remove WebPlugin" same version I'm now installing. After installation I log out of the cam, restart IE 8, log back into the cam and I then have live video again.

Are there instructions out there on how to correctly install the plugin which allows it to stick as being correctly installed? IE8 seems to forget the plugin is installed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have other camera models?

If so, the issue is the webplugin.exe is different for several different models but is all called the same thing.

I have to download the different version if I open up different models.

Since I have the most of the 5442 series, if I change a different camera model that requires the download again, I just open up BI when I want to look at the live video if all I am doing is making a simple change. Otherwise the next time I open a 5442 camera, I would have to download again.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like most all of newer cameras that ive bought in the last 1.5-2 years from EmpireTech or Amcrest stopped insisting on a plug-in... I'm ruining Windows 11 with Palemoon or Chrome....or Edge,,,or Chrome with IE tab,,,,
(edit: lol I probably am Ruining Windows 11 :) )

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have other camera models?

If so, the issue is the webplugin.exe is different for several different models but is all called the same thing.

I have to download the different version if I open up different models.
Thank you sir for that explanation as now I will not be as frustrated with their prompts to download the plugins.