How to reset password on Hikvision NVR?

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
Someone has a DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR for sale but it is password locked. I'm thinking of buying it and resetting the password. Is there any way of doing that? I cannot do it from Hikvision's website because they'd say it was purchased from an unauthorised retailer and I do not even know where it was originally purchased from. There is a password reset section on this website but would that work for something which wasn't purchased from here? Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm from the UK. Please let me know if there's any method that will for sure 100% work.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone has a DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR for sale but it is password locked.
Maybe the same seller that I've bought several NVRs from recently.
Has the seller agreed to select a 'locked' one for you as opposed to a 'dead' one?

There are several ways to regain access to a Hikvision NVR - example :

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe the same seller that I've bought several NVRs from recently.
Has the seller agreed to select a 'locked' one for you as opposed to a 'dead' one?

There are several ways to regain access to a Hikvision NVR - example :
Just asked him and he only has dead ones left but I'd still like to know incase I do find one. Have you managed to unlock or reflash a password protected one and did it work properly afterwards?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you managed to unlock or reflash a password protected one and did it work properly afterwards?
Yes, lots of times, it's not a problem.

The dead ones may just be a failed power supply.
Or a shorted TVS (transient voltage suppression) diode if the PoE ports don't work.
There is a UK source of the Delta or CWT (Channel Well Technology) power supplies that's about half the price of buying the same model from Aliexpress.

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the useful info. I don't have a camera with old firmware. I have ordered a camera but that is a newer model. Will I still be able to do it using the classic tftp firmware updater method with Python?

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I purchased a 16 channel one 2 weeks ago but it hasn't arrived yet. I messaged him twice in the last 3 days and have yet to receive a response . He also ended all of his listings after I sent the second message. Have you also purchased from this seller? I bought some cameras from eBay so I need to test them to make sure they work before the return window closes. Can't do that without the NVR though. I guess I could buy a POE switch from amazon and return it after.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I've bought 3 spares and repairs NVRs from that seller a couple of months back, all was ok.
But I've seen the recent negative feedback, which is surprising given the earlier positive ones.
eBay did day he'd be away till the end of August.

A cheap PoE injector or a 12v adaptor might be ok to check out the cameras.

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh yh I completely forgot that I could use the 12v port. Do I just connect a 12v adaptor to the camera and the ethernet to my router?

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
The live and recorded footage from my DS-2CD2387G2 LSU/SL looks very bad/pixelated. I have tried messing with all the different video settings but nothing makes a difference. I have it set on main stream but when I go to live view it's on sub stream 640x480 and I can't change it. It looks more like 144p to me though. I don't have an SD card inserted if that makes any difference. I can't update the firmware cause when I go on Hikvision's website they only have firmware for the G5 ones that end in (C). I think mine is G3.Screenshot_2022-09-03-23-30-13-73_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

Last edited:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bit rate should be 20480 but their best NVR is limited to 16384 Which should work at that resolution at 20-25fps.

Also, kinks in the wire or a wire pinched or stretched can cause video noise issues at any resolution.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
H.265+ should be enabled. which disables the other functions that are not so well designed in most ip cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have it set on main stream but when I go to live view it's on sub stream 640x480 and I can't change it.
Is this on the stream selection swizzler at the bottom left of the Live View screen?
1662323299694.png

What browser and OS are you using?

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I changed it to 1 and it works now but I can't go above 1080p without lag. I'm using a powerline adaptor right now so I'll try it directly again later. I noticed that when I installed the chrome plugin the quality went much better. Maybe it defaulted to main stream when I installed it. I also tried the ivms4200 app which I believe plays back smoother than chrome but I find it confusing to change camera settings on there. Now I just have to figure out how to get main stream on the android hikconnect app.

I noticed that my camera (DS-2CD2387G2) is blurry close range. I haven't tested it properly outside yet but indoors at 1.5m it's very blurry. At 3m it's better but still not as good as it should be. Is this normal for this camera and is there a way to adjust the focus? I've read that some cameras can be out of focus and have to be opened and adjusted.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that my camera (DS-2CD2387G2) is blurry close range.
Yes, it will be.
These cameras with the bigger M16 lens and the larger F1.0 aperture have a more limited depth of field than the older more common M12 and F1.6 aperture lenses.
Hikvision have started publishing the depth of field specifications now to highlight the limits of close range focus.
Depth of Field
2.8 mm: 3.1 m to ∞
4 mm: 3.6 m to ∞
The larger lens and aperture gives better low-light performance, it's a tradeoff.

Some posts on the topic :

th558

n3wb
Reaction score
I have received the NVR and I'm try to reset the password. I have Python but I've never really used it and don't understand the tutorial properly. How do I know if the NVR still probes for the tftp updater? When I turn it on it just goes straight to the login screen and I can right click for live view. That's about it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't already have it installed - add SADP to your PC, it's a very useful tool.

Then use it to show the detail of the NVR - the full model number, and the version of firmware currently installed, and the status (presumably Active) and IP address.
Check if the IP address is in the same range as your PC is using.
Then we can get you through downloading the right firmware version for the device, and try out the tftp updater.
This is fairly straightforward, and we can help you through it.
The NVR will need to be connected to the same LAN as the PC, maybe your router or a core switch.

When I turn it on it just goes straight to the login screen and I can right click for live view.
It sounds like you are using the VGA/HDMI interface, as opposed to accessing it over the LAN using a browser.
It would be a huge long-shot if the NVR from that seller has come from the same installation source as one of those I've previously bought from him - but I had a couple with the same admin password.
Those I extracted were :
Dynamic1, Mushroom76, MFSsystems, Platinum1966, Genius0305