How to get HikVision NVR DS-7616NI to start recording when motion detected

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Probably silly question but I have this NVR for a couple days only and not too sure how to configure everything yet.

So I got my firmware upgraded to the newest v3.3.4 and I'm very impressed how nicely the unit has picked up all the cameras.

Now I would like to get it configured to record when there is some movement - motion.

First of all I would like to ask how do I save the cameras in the "Live View" tab?

So I have 4x cameras which are set up for live view and can nicely see everything, now every time when I click on the "Configuration" tab for example and go back to the "Live View" tab I have to allocate all the cameras again to the squares and switch the live view back on again - is there any option to save it somehow?

In regards to motion detection configuration I went to:

"Configuration --> Storage --> Schedule settings"

and have configured cameras to record when motion detected, I have set sensitivity level, saved everything.

How do I tell the cameras to start recording?

How do I point to to record on my built-in 4TB HDD as it looks like from "Configuration --> Local -->Record File" setting it is pointed to the "C" drive of a PC I'm accessing the NVR from via Web browser?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In Live View - click the 'Play' button bottom right of the screen. All cameras should start. And to start individually click the small button to the left of the camera name at the top side left. Also there is an option in Local configuration to auto-start Live view.
For setting up recordings - you need to set up some event triggers. these are all under Events and Smart Events. Schedule, type of trigger (action from the event) etc for each of the many events types listed on the top menu. Storage |
Recording will take place as soon as you have set the parameters for it.
Configuration | Recording | Record file specifies where recordings that you have reviewed and selected for download will be stored. This is not related to the normal recording operation, it's for you selecting what clips you want to extract.