How long to get Wunderground to approve Webcam?

ttroglio

n3wb
Reaction score
They have had recent changes to their FTP settings. My old FTP configuration I had in BI stopped working. After some online forum reading I found these work. The "/" I had in my old setting but it would not work, when if I left it blank it works LOL
1 1/17/2021 9:45:21.647 AM Cam1 Post: FTP send error: 5b4
0 1/17/2021 9:47:04.147 AM Wunderground Delete: 2 items 1.23M [2/2 hrs, 39.7M/10.0G, 2.00T free]
1 1/17/2021 9:50:22.268 AM Cam1 Post: FTP send error: 5b4

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd change the upload timing to every five minutes.

What is happening here is that WU isn't really interested in webcams at all. Webcams are not a profit center and actually cost WU money, so since IBM has taken over webcams are superfluous to their interest which is making money from the data they get for free.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
1 1/17/2021 9:45:21.647 AM Cam1 Post: FTP send error: 5b4
0 1/17/2021 9:47:04.147 AM Wunderground Delete: 2 items 1.23M [2/2 hrs, 39.7M/10.0G, 2.00T free]
1 1/17/2021 9:50:22.268 AM Cam1 Post: FTP send error: 5b4
What does your device like in WU...be sure you are entering the cam name and key correctly: This will be your first check to make sure all is ok...if test fails...dbl check you entered exactly as example except with your cam's ID and key. Your cam will show online once it has received a image.
Screenshot 2021-01-17 095405.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

ttroglio

n3wb
Reaction score
What does your device like in WU...be sure you are entering the cam name and key correctly: This will be your first check to make sure all is ok...if test fails...dbl check you entered exactly as example except with your cam's ID and key. Your cam will show online once it has received a image.
View attachment 79799
FTP test is successful, only if i check passive mode box. w/o that, BI hangs.

Can you see any webcam images at my site? I've tried Chrome and Edge and nothing is showing. My devices page shows everything is online at WU.

Images are being posted now w/o errors according to the logs and status window attached.

Attachments

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
So maybe try to change your image size to default ? I did just check my "passive transfer mode" box.....mine works checked or unchecked. I do not see any images on your WU page.

ttroglio

n3wb
Reaction score
So maybe try to change your image size to default ? I did just check my "passive transfer mode" box.....mine works checked or unchecked. I do not see any images on your WU page.
Can you post your 'record' tab please.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Funny, my webcam is currently sort of working. If I click on the station for my area and turn Webcams on, nothing. If I click on my personal weather station from there amd scroll down, nothing (it even says that there are no webcams associated with this station). If I go to the Wundermap and turn on Webcams, there it is. If I then click on the tiny view there, Lo and behold, it shows with the video for it. These guys are PROs... :p

ttroglio

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I think I've figured out WTH has been going on at Wunderground. Seems when you go to My Profile / My Devices and then select a webcam, the link is incorrect. To get to the actual image you have to go to a directory that's some offshoot of your camera name.

In my case, one of my cam names is 'ttroglioCAM3'. So my link happens to be for any particular day;

www.wunderground.com/dashboard/webcam/ttroglio/3/YYYY-MM-DD.

And when I typed that in, low and behold, the images appear, all the way back to New Years Eve. I can select any date and see all the images that were posted. It's also where multiple cams appear and I've verified the other cam I set up works as well since it's cam 4.

I can't see it off my home weather page at the bottom for some reason. If I click that link it really just takes me to a dead directory.

So obviously it's a coding error at WU which I don't expect will be fixed soon. Strange because I see other users home weather pages and I can see they webcam. I'm using FTP if that matters.

Satch

n3wb
Reaction score
I have struggled to get my Reolink camera on line. It worked for a while then disappeared off my PWS page. With your information on this post I discovered that the link under the play button seemed to be wrong. I put the address "Webcam Dashboard | Weather Underground" with no dates at the end and got the images to come up. I have had submitted several email requests for help from Weather Underground without any reply, but thinks seem to change. They fixed something last night so my webcam came back on line without me doing anything. I sent another email in with my findings today. Weather Underground is very sensitive to file size. Make sure you are well below the 150kb size. Size goes up and down depending on the time of day.

Attachments

ttroglio

n3wb
Reaction score
I have struggled to get my Reolink camera on line. It worked for a while then disappeared off my PWS page. With your information on this post I discovered that the link under the play button seemed to be wrong. I put the address "Webcam Dashboard | Weather Underground" with no dates at the end and got the images to come up. I have had submitted several email requests for help from Weather Underground without any reply, but thinks seem to change. They fixed something last night so my webcam came back on line without me doing anything. I sent another email in with my findings today. Weather Underground is very sensitive to file size. Make sure you are well below the 150kb size. Size goes up and down depending on the time of day.
Yea I've sent numerous support emails to wunderground and all have gone ignored. What I did find out was simply from logic/trial/error. There are other users w/ the same issue. I've resorted to the links to the cams listed under My Profile/My Devices. Those seem to work reliably. However, getting those links on my weather page is beyond what I can do. I did find that under the My Devices section, if i put in my webcam info under my weather station, the links will get hacked up.

ttroglio

n3wb
Reaction score
Ever since IBM bought Weather Underground, it has gone to shit. IBM . . . another great American company that has gone to hell with a female at the helm.
Lot have companies have gone to hell w/ male, female, or, gender X at the helm. Everyone has just given up and blame the virus for nearly every thing. I tried 2X to get a my bank to send a check to a vendor thru USPS and both times failed. A horse used to take it across the US w/o issues. Today we can hardly do the simplest of tasks,

Last edited:

J Keith

n3wb
Reaction score
I too have had issues with Wunderground, especially since IBM took it over... contacting their "support" has been pretty much useless.. the typical replies that I have received tend to lay the blame on the user rather than addressing their own server issues. When I do finally get a camera to upload and work on their site... it quits after about a month or so and about the only solution is to just go through the setup of adding a new device and not mess with their "support" to fix anything... they (IBM) fired all of the original Wunderground IT guru's that set up the camera servers and they can't seem to (or have a desire to) hire anyone that knows how to fix the issues. With all of the advertising revenue they are getting off of slapping ads all over our PWS pages, they should be thanking us for providing the free weather station data... in short, don't put too much faith in getting camera upload issues fixed... just delete the ones that don't work and add them back as new devices and hope it finds a Wunderground server that works.

J Keith

n3wb
Reaction score
Just received another email from Wunderground "support".. with the SAME old SONG AND DANCE to check for problems on my end... I've been around computers and IT since the DOS days... I used Wunderground BEFORE IBM took over and everything worked fine. I'm pretty much fed up with Wunderground ... IBM and their "Lack of Support" department... I'm tired of them wasting my time...

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@J Keith , you sound like me.

They received my Davis VantageVue WX info OK from 2012 to 2020, then it died and they've been getting this Ambient Weather WS-2902C info OK since Dec. 2020 BUT....for over 6 months I've tried getting my FlagCam online but they can't manage it. I even uploaded an image to my own domain and tried their option of having them go get the image.....but they can't do that either.
Ambient Weather has no problem with either, weather data upload or a FTP'd image from Blue Iris.

WU + IBM = DOA

Last edited:

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IBM cannot even run their core business, let alone WU. WU has become a pathetic weather site since they took over. It has got to the point you cannot even see their live radar page for the BS GUI and advertising windows. Best of luck to you and getting your weather station on this site. BTW, what the hell is IBM doing in the weather business??

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried close to a year to get anything on WU. I even bought a different model weather station when they said my data was the
wrong format. Even with 2 stations sending data, I got no where!

I thought it would be nice to have the WX from the top of a mountain, well a large hill....2,000' :banghead: