How long to get Wunderground to approve Webcam?

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum but my experience in the world of electronics, computers, IP cameras etc puts me in the 'early-adopter' bracket.

WU has become a major pain in the arse for me. Every time I have a webcam established, with nice rural views of the sky here in Australia, I think finally - I've got the right 'mix' of FTP camera and/or third-party upload software. Yes, most of what everyone has said in earlier posts is correct re image size, interval etc.

After several weeks of a functioning site (IBOWRA110), I even had the audacity to provide my family with my WU site address so they could see our mid-winter minus 3 (C) temps, stormy skies, frost covered hills etc.

Then a week ago the webcam image stopped. Everything fully functional at my end. So, I did what worked last year - deleted the webcam from My Devices and then added a 'new' webcam. This of course becomes CAM2 (or CAM3/4/5/6 depending on how many attempts you have). Each attempt provides a new password but same user ID.

None of the above resulted in an image - so I cancelled my whole WU account and registered another one under a different email address. All new user ID and webcam upload key - weather station is now IBOWRA111 but webcam still not visible and shows 'off-line'. Camera FTP Test shows 'successful' and FileZilla utility shows an indication of each of my 'Tests" reaching the WU server.

And ... like everyone else, emails to their 'please contact us' site result in either a form-letter reply for the uneducated, or silence.

Does anyone know of an alternative to WU where management actually might care their site works?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I took my weathercam offline over ago year ago in disgust. I was just getting ready to put one back up on the roof this time, albeit a POS Reolink, but they've saved me from pulling another cable in the attic, fudging a mount and a port on the PoE switch.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Their page your link takes us to cracks me up:

WU: "Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts."

ME: "Where? Certainly not here in the U.S. of A."

WU: " We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years."

They really need to back date that page to about 3 years ago...that's how long I've been trying to get my webcam on WU; tried FTP'ing and giving them a URL. Strange that Ambient Weather doesn't have a problem with it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Their page your link takes us to cracks me up:

WU: "Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts."

WU: " We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years."

They really need to back date that page to about 3 years ago...that's how long I've been trying to get my webcam on WU; tried FTP'ing and giving them a URL. Strange that Ambient Weather doesn't have a problem with it.
They are so full of PR spin crap.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the excuse that cameras are so different. I always thought a jpg was a jpg and hasn't changed. Granted resolution has gone up significantly, but the file size can still be easily tailored to fit their criteria.