How do you see what is on the hdd?

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to move my internal Nvr hdd into a NAS. After doing so it said I needed to format it. Which would mean I loose all the current video recordings. I have loaded Linux and connected the Nvr hdd to a computer, and Linux did not pick anything up such as the hdd.

Is is there anyway in which I can transfer the footage somehow across without loosing the footage. Sounds simple but it seems to have got me.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which NVR brand? I'd imagine it may be encrypted so that only the NVR can read it, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Presumably you won't be using anything other than a RAID 5 or 6 on your NAS, so if you are intending to re-use the NVR HDD in the NAS it will be erased (repartitioned) as part of the ingestion process on the NAS.
In which case with the HDD still in the NVR you could map a suitable NAS share to a Windows drive letter (the NVR does not work with \\NAS\sharename format) and bulk download camera by camera with a 'select all' at the Playback screen.
You will likely find anyway that, depending on the existing file system type, and firmware version, if you plug the HDD into a USB port of the NAS, it may well automatically partition the drive, thus losing all your data. This is how the QNAP NAS operates.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the replys, at the moment I am using a single disk until I can get this sorted then I will be buying another disk. The NAS only has 2 drives so raid 5 or 6 is out of the question for now. I will give the bulk download a go tomorrow and get back

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which NVR brand? I'd imagine it may be encrypted so that only the NVR can read it, I don't know.

It is a Hikvision Ds-7608ni-e2/p/a
WD Purple 4TB Surveilance hdd

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NAS only has 2 drives so raid 5 or 6 is out of the question for now.
OK, RAID 1 then, some sort of resilience at least.
The bulk download should work just fine, and be reasonably quick if the PC, NVR and NAS are all on Gigabit.
You may have to set the NVR IP address in 'Trusted sites' in IE11 to ensure IE does not redirect your downloads to a virtualised location.