How? Configure NVR to permit iVMS-4200 access to the 254.n IP

kingdaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
I notice the NVR has a "internal NIC" of 192.168.254.1. I think that
is how the PoE ports are made private. (?) explain?

MY NVR is DHCP and has IP from my router 192.168.1.1, and gateway of 192.198.1.1
All is well with the 254.n cameras.

If I attempt to change internal NIC to 192.168.1.1, I get warning "IP address (NVR) and internal NIC conflict."

If I change camera IP to the 192.168.1.n of my network, and the internal NIC to (?), will that work?

Can I get some elaboration regarding this environment. I can't even ping the NVR cameras, and SADP is also affected. Browser access is neutered. I have no router ports opened for public network access.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I notice the NVR has a "internal NIC" of 192.168.254.1. I think that
is how the PoE ports are made private.
Yes, it's a separate network segment, only accessible via the internal routing of the NVR.
Loads and loads of posts on that topic - try a search for "poe cameras access routing" or similar.
Do you have 'Virtual Host' on your NVR? Network | Advanced settings | Enable virtual host.
That would be the easiest way to gain direct access to the cameras on the PoE ports.

kingdaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
When I set Virtual Host check-box, I get window: "port", has 65001. Is that ok? Camera uses port 8000.
The check-box has empty space above, labeled Multicast IP. What is the significance?
So far, Ping, and SADP, and net scanner does not see the PoE port.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Camera uses port 8000
That's the 'media port' for the cameras, it's not related to the port that the Virtual Host provides.
Ping and SADP will not see the cameras - they are on a separate network segment, only accessible by default via the NVR, such as via the Virtual Host facility.

To access the cameras via Virtual Host once it is enabled, in your browser simply click the link in the right hand column on the camera configuration page.

kingdaddy

n3wb
Reaction score

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Destination network 192.168.254.0, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.100, some metric such as 2.
What metric if any is needed will depend on the specific way your router is configured for static routes, and even if it can do that at all.
So the metric of 2 may not even be needed.
SADP will not work, but ping will, and direct browser access will also work.
But with Virtual Host you don't really need any more, at least for the detailed camera configuration.

kingdaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, I was so excited, I did not get my fingers in gear with my joy! It is iVMS that is working, not SADP.