Home Security Systems

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the backup battery. this should work instead than right ?

Side note: how difficult is wiring two backup batteries ?

something like this

The power Sonic battery will work with the system.

@sebastiantombs +1 on Altronix. I've used other brand aux power supplies in the past and I've had bad experiences with them. I'll only use Altronix now.

In response to other posts in this thread. The Honeywell LTE communicators can be used for self-monitoring. The only downside is that you will still have to pay for Total Connect 2.0 per month. Look at AlarmGrids self-monitoring plans for details.

If you're going to use a Honeywell communicator for monitoring regardless if its for self-monitoring or professional monitoring I would recommend either the Honeywell LITE-IA (AT&T) or LTE-IV (Verizon). Both of those communicators are dual path (IP and Cell) and I believe you have the option of configuring it for IP only or Cell only. They also come with their own power supply and battery so you're not pulling the power from the panel's Aux power output. The power supply these communicators come with are rated to power both the communicator and panel so you only have to plug in one transformer.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, I agree with the Altronix. The one I'm using now was retired about 20 years ago after being used for BA line control for about 10 years. It was running a bunch of relays for various purposes back then on an old Ademco system. Now it's been powering my auxiliary power here for about two years. Reliable as heck!

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can somebody please review this list before I hit buy?

Am i missing anything / anything I should swap out for ?

Vista 20P.PNG

Reaction score
Item #3 6162RF keypad- The 6162RF keypad from my understanding was released and discontinued within the first year or two after it was released. I would swap that out with a standard 6160RF keypad.

Item# 5 and 6- Honeywell 702- Siren, where are you putting this siren? It's large and ugly. I would only hide this unit in my attic. Ademco 749 speaker- This speaker will only function with a siren driver. You do not have a siren driver listed on the worksheet so this speaker will not function. Do not hook this into the siren terminals on the alarm panel.

Item# 9- Safetymind wireless sensors- I've never seen these before and at that low of a price I would be questioning their quality. In my opinion, it's not worth saving a few dollars and sacrificing quality. The last thing you want is false alarms from faulty sensors. I highly recommend not using these sensors. You can get a two pack of the Honeywell 5800mini on eBay for $38.00

Item# 10- The Honeywell 5898- It's a great motion detector, but where are you finding it for $20.00??

Item# 11- The Honeywell 5800PIR-RES- It's just a standard PIR motion detector. Where do you plan on installing this sensors as it's more prone to false alarms. Ex- pointing it a window that gets a large amount of sunlight has a potential to trigger it.

Item# 18- Altronix Power Supply- I'm assuming this power supply is being purchased to power the Tuxedo Keypad. Make sure the ground terminal on this power supply is connected to the ECP bus ground on the control panel or the keypad will not work. If you plan on using this to power additional sirens you will need a relay for the sirens. However, the Vista has a 2amp max for the siren terminals so I don't think that will be necessary.

Item# 20- Honeywell Home strobe lights- where are these going to be installed and what's it's purpose? They make outdoor sirens with built in strobes.

Please elaborate how the sirens for this system are going to be installed so I can recommend a more efficient siren or sirens for you. Amsesco/Potter makes a good siren/strobe combo. Look at the Amsesco SSX-52 Series.

Also, make sure you're purchasing the Honeywell Home Tuxedo. Not the Honeywell Tuxedo Touch. The old style Tuxedo Touch is outdated and only has z-wave. The new Honeywell Tuxedo has z-wave plus and is updated. It also draws less power. Honeywell Home Tuxedo - Residential Touchscreen Keypad w/ Built-In Z-Wave Plus Controller for VISTA

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Item #3 6162RF keypad- The 6162RF keypad from my understanding was released and discontinued within the first year or two after it was released. I would swap that out with a standard 6160RF keypad.

Item# 5 and 6- Honeywell 702- Siren, where are you putting this siren? It's large and ugly. I would only hide this unit in my attic. Ademco 749 speaker- This speaker will only function with a siren driver. You do not have a siren driver listed on the worksheet so this speaker will not function. Do not hook this into the siren terminals on the alarm panel.

Item# 9- Safetymind wireless sensors- I've never seen these before and at that low of a price I would be questioning their quality. In my opinion, it's not worth saving a few dollars and sacrificing quality. The last thing you want is false alarms from faulty sensors. I highly recommend not using these sensors. You can get a two pack of the Honeywell 5800mini on eBay for $38.00

Item# 10- The Honeywell 5898- It's a great motion detector, but where are you finding it for $20.00??

Item# 11- The Honeywell 5800PIR-RES- It's just a standard PIR motion detector. Where do you plan on installing this sensors as it's more prone to false alarms. Ex- pointing it a window that gets a large amount of sunlight has a potential to trigger it.

Item# 18- Altronix Power Supply- I'm assuming this power supply is being purchased to power the Tuxedo Keypad. Make sure the ground terminal on this power supply is connected to the ECP bus ground on the control panel or the keypad will not work. If you plan on using this to power additional sirens you will need a relay for the sirens. However, the Vista has a 2amp max for the siren terminals so I don't think that will be necessary.

Item# 20- Honeywell Home strobe lights- where are these going to be installed and what's it's purpose? They make outdoor sirens with built in strobes.

Please elaborate how the sirens for this system are going to be installed so I can recommend a more efficient siren or sirens for you. Amsesco/Potter makes a good siren/strobe combo. Look at the Amsesco SSX-52 Series.

Also, make sure you're purchasing the Honeywell Home Tuxedo. Not the Honeywell Tuxedo Touch. The old style Tuxedo Touch is outdated and only has z-wave. The new Honeywell Tuxedo has z-wave plus and is updated. It also draws less power. Honeywell Home Tuxedo - Residential Touchscreen Keypad w/ Built-In Z-Wave Plus Controller for VISTA
Sheesh you dissected my list !!

Thanks !!

Couple of questions:

I was going to have 2 sirens. One for inside and one for outside. I have no attic or basement. Not really concerned with looks. Function >form

So the tuxedo needs its own battery supply ? Did not know. So i would need to batteries then. One to power the tuxedo, and the second as backup power.

Can I put two batteries in the Vista case ??? Something like.this

The sirens and strobe were recommended. But I could seenthem being good fits to notify my neighbors.

Thoughts ??

Reaction score
Sheesh you dissected my list !!

Thanks !!

Couple of questions:

I was going to have 2 sirens. One for inside and one for outside. I have no attic or basement. Not really concerned with looks. Function >form

So the tuxedo needs its own battery supply ? Did not know. So i would need to batteries then. One to power the tuxedo, and the second as backup power.

Can I put two batteries in the Vista case ??? Something like.this

The sirens and strobe were recommended. But I could seenthem being good fits to notify my neighbors.

Thoughts ??
For the outside siren, if you want a strobe, you should consider the Amsesco/Potter siren I posted above. That'll take care of your outdoor siren and strobe. For the indoor siren, I would use the Honeywell Wave 2. Both of these sirens together will not exceed your max siren output of 2 amps.

I think you might be confused for the aux power supply. What did you originally intend to purchase it for? The only reason aux power supplies are installed is because devices on the system exceed the alarm panels max power output (600ma for aux devices and 2 amps for sirens). Aux devices include keypads, wired motion detectors, wired glass breaks, wired zones expander etc. The only item on your list that has the potential to exceed you aux power output is the tuxedo keypad.

So, everything else will be powered from the Vista panel and the Tuxedo keypad will get it's power from the Altronix power supply. The Altronix will need it's own battery. I also forget that you will also need a transformer unless it aleady comes with one. You cannot use the Vista's transformer to power it.

You will need 2 12v 8ah batteries, one for the Vista control and one for the Altronix power supply. I would recommend sticking with the Power Sonic battery brand as I do not like the universal battery (UPG).

Both batteries and aux power supply will fit inside of the vista control panel.

Also, with that loud of an outdoor siren, I would recommend programming an automatic siren cut off no greater than 15-minutes. When you read the programming manual it'll be under the Bell cutoff timer.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fuck me being honest, I am about to move into a new house.

That has no basement and no attic, the house is 100% concrete.

What you have listed sounds like A LOT OF WORK.

I am not trying to come off as lazy, but, drilling through concrete. fuck....

Wireless sounds easier.

Ill still have to wire the panel, and sirens, i think ? what else should be physically wired? and what can be wireless ?
I am not a huge fan of wireless systems. But I have to say they are getting much better. I have been installing Napco and DSC for 30 years. Napco Isecure Is one of the newer panels and I have installed about 15 systems in the past month and so far they have been really good. And the price is very resonable. One drawback is you need to set up a account with napco for the cellular signal. Then they will send the signal to whatever central station you want. And the app for the system is very rock solid. They offer 3 kits. I would avoid the kit1 at all costs the keypad is a piece of garbage! kits 2 and 3 are touch screen an pretty good for the price. They are worth looking into

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of wireless systems. But I have to say they are getting much better. I have been installing Napco and DSC for 30 years. Napco Isecure Is one of the newer panels and I have installed about 15 systems in the past month and so far they have been really good. And the price is very resonable. One drawback is you need to set up a account with napco for the cellular signal. Then they will send the signal to whatever central station you want. And the app for the system is very rock solid. They offer 3 kits. I would avoid the kit1 at all costs the keypad is a piece of garbage! kits 2 and 3 are touch screen an pretty good for the price. They are worth looking into
The OP is looking for a solution with self-monitoring without any monthly fees. A Napco system will not be able to provide that plus it's not going to be as DIY friendly.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The OP is looking for a solution with self-monitoring without any monthly fees. A Napco system will not be able to provide that plus it's not going to be as DIY friendly.
You are correct, I guess i should have paid attention to what i was reading. I have had luck with EyezOn EVL-4. They require no programming on DSC panels and they work pretty good. And the only cost $100

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the outside siren, if you want a strobe, you should consider the Amsesco/Potter siren I posted above. That'll take care of your outdoor siren and strobe. For the indoor siren, I would use the Honeywell Wave 2. Both of these sirens together will not exceed your max siren output of 2 amps.

I think you might be confused for the aux power supply. What did you originally intend to purchase it for? The only reason aux power supplies are installed is because devices on the system exceed the alarm panels max power output (600ma for aux devices and 2 amps for sirens). Aux devices include keypads, wired motion detectors, wired glass breaks, wired zones expander etc. The only item on your list that has the potential to exceed you aux power output is the tuxedo keypad.

So, everything else will be powered from the Vista panel and the Tuxedo keypad will get it's power from the Altronix power supply. The Altronix will need it's own battery. I also forget that you will also need a transformer unless it aleady comes with one. You cannot use the Vista's transformer to power it.

You will need 2 12v 8ah batteries, one for the Vista control and one for the Altronix power supply. I would recommend sticking with the Power Sonic battery brand as I do not like the universal battery (UPG).

Both batteries and aux power supply will fit inside of the vista control panel.

Also, with that loud of an outdoor siren, I would recommend programming an automatic siren cut off no greater than 15-minutes. When you read the programming manual it'll be under the Bell cutoff timer.
In regards to the AUX power supply, i thought that could be used as a backup battery, in case I ever lose power. am I mistaken ???

Let me ask you this question as well.

I am active duty military serving over seas. I am about to close on a brand new house, built 2020. I shall be living in this house for the next 2-3 years.

After that I can either sell the house or rent it out. I am leaning towards renting it out.

Im just asking for your opinion, you don't have to answer.

Do you think it is even worth going through all the trouble of wiring up the 20P and everything, spending close to $1k, for a home that i have no plans of keeping over 5/10 years ???

Or should I just go with something super simple like Simpli Safe or Abode? One of those plug and play security systems.

Just curious what would you do in this situation ?

My current security system is 2 dogs: One small mutt and one puppy pit bull.

Reaction score
In regards to the AUX power supply, i thought that could be used as a backup battery, in case I ever lose power. am I mistaken ???

Let me ask you this question as well.

I am active duty military serving over seas. I am about to close on a brand new house, built 2020. I shall be living in this house for the next 2-3 years.

After that I can either sell the house or rent it out. I am leaning towards renting it out.

Im just asking for your opinion, you don't have to answer.

Do you think it is even worth going through all the trouble of wiring up the 20P and everything, spending close to $1k, for a home that i have no plans of keeping over 5/10 years ???

Or should I just go with something super simple like Simpli Safe or Abode? One of those plug and play security systems.

Just curious what would you do in this situation ?

My current security system is 2 dogs: One small mutt and one puppy pit bull.
No, the aux power supply cannot be used as a back-up battery. Your back-up battery is the 12v 8ah battery that you connect to the battery terminals on the Vista Panel. That battery will supply power during a power outage. The aux power supply is only to power additional loads that the Vista system cannot handle. The aux power supply needs its own battery for power during a power outage.

Personally, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but there's one thing I can tell you for sure is that I will never recommend Simplisafe or any of those types of systems.

You could always install the Honeywell Lyric system. That system is an encrypted wireless all-in-one that supports wireless keypads and sirens and is also backwards compatible with the Honeywell 5800 series of wireless sensors. So you could install that system and just take it with you when you decide to move. The only downside to that system besides being a fully wireless all-in-one system is that the Evnisalink is not compatible with it. However, you can self-monitor it with AlarmGrid for $10.00 using your internet connection.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, the aux power supply cannot be used as a back-up battery. Your back-up battery is the 12v 8ah battery that you connect to the battery terminals on the Vista Panel. That battery will supply power during a power outage. The aux power supply is only to power additional loads that the Vista system cannot handle. The aux power supply needs its own battery for power during a power outage.

Personally, I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but there's one thing I can tell you for sure is that I will never recommend Simplisafe or any of those types of systems.

You could always install the Honeywell Lyric system. That system is an encrypted wireless all-in-one that supports wireless keypads and sirens and is also backwards compatible with the Honeywell 5800 series of wireless sensors. So you could install that system and just take it with you when you decide to move. The only downside to that system besides being a fully wireless all-in-one system is that the Evnisalink is not compatible with it. However, you can self-monitor it with AlarmGrid for $10.00 using your internet connection.
Alarm Grid for the Lyric System ??

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any recommendations for the lyric system ?

Doing my research on it now.

I am contemplating going with this kit:

its cheaper than this kit

With the only difference between the
SiXMINICT Sensors and the 5800MINI Door - being that the SIX is encrypted and the 5800 is not encrypted.

i am not too concerned about someone hacking.

i imagine I should get some key fobs, and that should be it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The first kit looks good. Just keep in mind the motion detector in the kit is just a standard PIR. You’re probably going to want the 5898 Dual Tech motion especially with your two dogs. Plus you’re going to have to be selective where you install it (don’t install it where the dogs can climb up on a bed in front of it).

Also, the Lyric kit comes with a 4 hour back-up battery. They sell a 24-hour backup battery if you want the extra runtime. I always try and have at least 24 hours of back up.

I would also consider a wireless keypad to put by the entry door (Honeywell LKP500) and keep the main panel in your bedroom or somewhere out of the way.

FYI- Honeywell released an updated version of the Lyric called the Resideo ProA7 Plus. I can’t recommend it right now because Honeywell won’t allow an end user to program the system. Only the dealer can perform system programming (AlarmGrid). However, Honeywell stated they are going to release a new firmware update that will allow end users to program the system in the future. I’m only mentioning this system in case you want to take it with you when you move because it’ll most likely be a better option for future proofing your system. Honeywell is also now called Resideo. So you if see Resideo it’s Honeywell

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first kit looks good. Just keep in mind the motion detector in the kit is just a standard PIR. You’re probably going to want the 5898 Dual Tech motion especially with your two dogs. Plus you’re going to have to be selective where you install it (don’t install it where the dogs can climb up on a bed in front of it).

Also, the Lyric kit comes with a 4 hour back-up battery. They sell a 24-hour backup battery if you want the extra runtime. I always try and have at least 24 hours of back up.

I would also consider a wireless keypad to put by the entry door (Honeywell LKP500) and keep the main panel in your bedroom or somewhere out of the way.

FYI- Honeywell released an updated version of the Lyric called the Resideo ProA7 Plus. I can’t recommend it right now because Honeywell won’t allow an end user to program the system. Only the dealer can perform system programming (AlarmGrid). However, Honeywell stated they are going to release a new firmware update that will allow end users to program the system in the future. I’m only mentioning this system in case you want to take it with you when you move because it’ll most likely be a better option for future proofing your system. Honeywell is also now called Resideo. So you if see Resideo it’s Honeywell
Man you are a wealth of knowledge !!!

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Man, I LOVE EBAY!!!!

Are these all the same ??

I understand only the dealer can program it.

Reaction score

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first link is only a secondary touchscreen keypad. It won’t work without the main system. The other two links are the main system, however, you would need to add a module to allow it to communicate with the older Honeywell 5800 series wireless sensors. So you would need a kit like this Honeywell Home PROA7PLUSWLTAKE - PROA7PLUS Wireless Upgrade Base Kit: System, Legacy RF Receiver, LT-Cable
Damn bro you are good.

Do you work for/with alarmgrid or honeywell ?

You are super on top of it !!!

Reaction score
Thanks haha. No, I don’t work for either. Similar to ip cams this is just something that interests me. Plus I can’t stand alarm companies, most of them are incompetent so I taught myself how to do a lot of it.

Honeywell pissed me off when they released a new panel that locked end users out of programming. If they don’t release that firmware update that allows end user programming or if they continue to be anti-diy I won’t be recommending or using them in the future.