Home Security Systems

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Wired is better than wireless.

That being said, trying to install a wired system in an existing home can be extremely frustrating (and costly). Personally I decided to wire my entrance doors, glass breaks and motion detectors. I have attic access that allowed me to accomplish this wiring pretty easily. However for the windows I decided to go with wireless contacts because running wires to the window frames would have been a giant headache. The wireless system has two way communication, so it will alert you if a contact goes "offline". Also, while the wireless contacts obviously require battery power, the ones I have have lasted years without needing to be replaced.

Please note, this is with a regular "old fashion" alarm system. Personally I would not use something like Ring, Simplisafe or similar "new style" wireless system. I honestly don't know if the cloud is required with these types of systems, but those systems are based on the fact they want to collect your data. An old fashion alarm system is not designed to collect your information and I feel much more comfortable installing one of those in my house. Plus I do not want to buy hardware that is limited to a single company. If that company goes out of business, my alarm monitoring stops and the ability to expand or replace devices would become much harder as well. The "old fashion" alarm parts are widely available through countless manufacturers.

As far as monitoring, there are still several companies that you can pay to monitor your "old fashion" style alarm system, so you can shop around for what you need. You also should not have a system installed that requires you to enter into a contract for monitoring (like ADT). Those are a scam as well IMHO. "Normal" monitoring companies are much less expensive per month than something like ADT. You can also self-monitor the system if that is what you want to do.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Some feedback as it pertains to real security. There are 4 rings of security and each one plays an important role to the next. The vast majority of the general public at large have nothing - do nothing.

True security is a state of mind and lifestyle.

It’s not just a Thing, System, Idea!

The first ring is a real world threat assessment of your environment and persons. If you live in Iraq well by default there’s a high level threat in the environment every freaking day.

The same can be said if you grew up like I did many moons ago in Washington Heights / Harlem in NYC. The environment and your persons was at risk all the time. God forbid you were any other colour than what was in that neighbourhood at that time.

So the first ring is a threat assessment and finding out what kinds of crime is happening and transpired. Almost every major city offers a on line Heat Map noting all manner of crime.

Also many cities also provide the average citizen the ability to enrol to a activity report that is sent via email about everything under the sun!

Once you know your level of threat you sit down and consider with like minded people / professionals as to how best to mitigate these threats. This ranges from moving to a safer area. Avoiding crime riddled areas to scheduling to go when safe to do so. Going in large groups where there’s a large public space with tons of people etc.

Always having situational awareness as to your surroundings. Know where all the entrance & exits are with a solid exit strategy no matter where you are in the home or out and about.

Taking a different route and watching for people trailing / fallowing you.

The next ring of true security is Force Protection which means the barriers to the home and property. This spans to fencing, outward opening security door, 3" ~ 4" screws property rated for shear. Solid core door slab which the door frame is using 2 X 6 / 2 X 8 multi framing which includes the Jack and King studs.

This is coupled with four feet steel strike plates, door hinges, door guards, grade 1 lock set for both dead bolt and knobs. Which is protected by a metal pry plate.

All of which is layered with a latching hasp that can not be picked, bumped, pried open from the outside.

All of the above was just about the door, frame, hardware in use?!?

Why???

Time . . .

Time is the victor and is the only thing that provides you the time to wake up, react, and either fight or flight. Time offers you the ability to call 911, press the burglary, grab a bat / gun / roll of toilet paper to wipe the shit streaming down your left leg!

So force protection in the physical manner must be in place before any bells and whistles because there’s never been a case where an alarm system, camera stopped a physical breach - ever!

Force Protection can encompass anything from window bars, HIG (High Impact Glass) ranging from bullet proof to hurricane rated doors, Windows, garage doors.

Using any hurricane rated door is easily ten times more secure and safe then a standard door etc. If a 2 X 4 can’t penetrate said door going 140 MPH easily the same will provide the average Joe what?!?

More Time . . .

When a solid hardwired security alarm system is installed monitoring every opening, area, floor, zone. This offers even more TIME to react and automatically call for help!

Which leads to another topic of concern. Do not, shall not, ever self monitor because you have already broken the golden rules of what?!?

Two is one - One is none!

Only stupid fools that have zero common sense and the ability to create a spark in their thick skull will use and entertain the same! These people will literally come up with a million reasons and excuses how they are better or can offer the same performance, reaction, and quality of service?!?

You have to be 10 kinds of stupid.

When you ask them so how do you address this when you’re asleep, on the road, not in cell range, in another country on holidays?!? Oh I forgot they have Bob who is retired, has a bad ticket, going blind and deaf, is easily 69 lbs over weight lugging around a oxygen tank.

But is known to be a real good shot!

A certified 4 diamond CS (Central Station) is manned by 24.7.365 personnel that are tasked with only one goal. To monitor your residence so you can sleep and call for help when the most common incident happens millions of times a year!

Fire, CO contamination which the so called self monitoring individuals never address - honestly! More people die a year over come by the smoke, fumes (VOC) and CO and than the actual fire ever reached their feet.

Yet the same people truly believe they will magically wake up and have the strength and mind set to call 911?!?

The last ring to true security is testing and validation which would take me pages to write down. The short version is complete a walk test if you ask the same so called professional to complete the same and if all you get is a blank stare?!?

Punch him in the face and walk away! Because he’s the latest generation of imbecile that do Stick & Go wireless systems from Ring et all!

Consistent and regular load testing of the system in all seasons must be done. Batteries are replaced faithfully regardless of use.

Attack time must be completed in both extreme climates to determine how successful the Walk Test will be obtained. As with security cameras different sensor technology should be used to provide coverage, protection, but fault confirmation.

Never ever allow a so called professional to install the EOL resistor in the Can - ever! EOL resistors must be installed at the end device and activated to insure what?!?

To monitor the line so it can’t be cheated to avoid a open, short, tapped line. Regardless of what anyone has ever told you or seen. Every alarm system must be properly Earth grounded (bonded) to the homes electrical service panel.

Why?!?

Because this is one of the major reasons a home is damaged from a surge event / lightning strike! When you couple the latest so called smart panels that allow web based integration what have you now introduced?!?

A path way into the network which is what?!? Connected to that really expensive CCTV, NVR, POE Switch, VOIP, TV, PS4 - XBOX etc.

A low resistance Earth ground below (25 ohms) must be present and tied to the main entrance and service panel. If present this is the only thing allowing the fault current to be shunted to Earth ground.

Good Luck . . .

Last edited:

Jb2644

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, So obviously everyone is running IP cams here,

I am curious what home security systems are you all also running ?

(ADT, Alarm.com/ vivint / frontpoint / simpli safe / )

Any recommendations? Why did you choose that specific system ?
I think it was actually this thread that motivated me to get the Honeywell Proa7plus, through alarmgrid (Total Connect 2.0). It’s a great balance of 3rd party & DIY. You install yourself but they’ll walk you through it. I pay for the alarm monitoring- definitely worth it. I have z wave sensors on 35 windows and water detectors under the water heater. I couldn’t be happier.

For smoke alarms, I ended up replacing my inter-connected system with First Alert and added some WiFi (or maybe z wave) Onelinks.

Last time I burned the stove, my smoke alarm went off, which triggered my fire alarm, which led to me telling AlarmGrid to cancel the fire truck… all within 10 seconds.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read this whole thread, but it is from 2021, wondering if there are updated suggestions on which equipment to use?

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running a Honeywell Vista 20p with IP/LTE interactive monitoring (Total Connect 2.0). The Ring alarm system seems to be popular on this forum but I'm not a fan of it. The Ring system is not capable of doing half of what I what I need it to do.

My system is not locked or proprietary to any specific alarm company so I can choose any alarm company that I want. I'm currently using AlarmGrid for my monitoring service. AlarmGrid is more expensive ($35.00 a month for IP/LTE and Interactive Services) than most DIY alarm companies. However, they have good customer service, and their technicians are knowledgeable, plus I trust them. I've used a couple different alarm companies in the past and I've had bad experiences with them. So, I'm willing to pay a little extra a month for a company I can trust. AlarmGrid does not make you sign a monitoring contact so you can cancel at any time.

In my opinion, having a properly installed and monitored alarm system is more important than having cameras for the purpose of detecting a burglary, unless you're going to have someone monitoring the cameras 24/7. The Vista 20p is a professional grade hardwired/wireless system that will monitor for Burglary, Fire, Carbon Monoxide, and other environmental issues (Flood, low temp etc.)

One of the main reasons I prefer the Vista system over other systems like Ring, Simplisafe etc. is because the Vista system is not locked to that company. The Ring and Simplisafe systems are locked to that monitoring company. So, if you invested money in one of those systems and you are unhappy with the monitoring service there's nothing you can do besides buy an entire new system. The vista system can simply just be reprogrammed to transmit to a different monitoring service.

The Vista system also has a lot more of selection in sensors compared to Ring/Simplisafe. For example, the Vista system offers both wired and wireless Dual Tech motion detectors. Dual tech motion detectors use both microwave and PIR technologies to detect an intruder (they are also available with 100lb pet immunity). Dual tech sensors reduce false alarm compared to standard PIR sensors. So far, I've never had any of my dual tech sensors cause a false alarm. I'm also big on fire detection. I prefer to have photoelectric smoke detectors with built in heat sensors in every room/hallway, heat detectors in the kitchen, laundry room, garage, attic etc. along with CO detectors on each floor. The Ring/Simplisafe system is also lacking when it comes to fire detection.

With that being said, I can't recommend a system to you unless we know what you want it to do.

As far as those other companies you mentioned above, stay very far away from any large company that makes you sign a monitoring contract for any amount of time.
Hi there, I'm considering adding this system on to our home. We have casement windows on the first floor, and I'd like glass break detection and intrusion detection. Do you happen to know what type of sensors I would need for this?

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm considering adding this system on to our home. We have casement windows on the first floor, and I'd like glass break detection and intrusion detection. Do you happen to know what type of sensors I would need for this?
Are you going to be using wireless sensors or hardwired sensors? If you're using wireless you'll probably want the Honeywell 5800mini sensors and the Honeywell 5853 for glassbreaks.

Do you plan on self-monitoring or using central station monitoring?

If you're going to use central station monitoring there's a new panel called the Qolsys IQ Pro that's a hybrid hardwired/wireless panel. It supports PowerG (encrypted wireless sensors) and honeywell 5800 series (if you purchase that model that supports Honeywell 5800) and a ton of more features. It also supports one-go-all-go for PowerG smoke detectors and/or their serial addressable smokes. The panel looks pretty promising. It's worth looking into but keep in mind it's going to be more expensive and you'll never be able to self-monitor it without a monthly cost. It'll only work on the alarm.com platform.

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you going to be using wireless sensors or hardwired sensors? If you're using wireless you'll probably want the Honeywell 5800mini sensors and the Honeywell 5853 for glassbreaks.

Do you plan on self-monitoring or using central station monitoring?

If you're going to use central station monitoring there's a new panel called the Qolsys IQ Pro that's a hybrid hardwired/wireless panel. It supports PowerG (encrypted wireless sensors) and honeywell 5800 series (if you purchase that model that supports Honeywell 5800) and a ton of more features. It also supports one-go-all-go for PowerG smoke detectors and/or their serial addressable smokes. The panel looks pretty promising. It's worth looking into but keep in mind it's going to be more expensive and you'll never be able to self-monitor it without a monthly cost. It'll only work on the alarm.com platform.
Sounds really promising, and it would fit the need other than the fact I want to flexibility to self monitor and central station monitor. I may at somepoint choose to switch carriers or just go full on self-monitor. Is there anything that fits everything you described + allows for self-monitoring?

Reaction score
Sounds really promising, and it would fit the need other than the fact I want to flexibility to self monitor and central station monitor. I may at somepoint choose to switch carriers or just go full on self-monitor. Is there anything that fits everything you described + allows for self-monitoring?
You can still self-monitor with the IQ Pro, you would just need to subscribe to a self-monitoring plan that some DIY alarm companies like AlarmGrid offer. The IQ Pro will work with any alarm company that supports alarm.com. If you want self-monitoring that doesn't cost anything than you're best bet is the Honeywell Vista 20P and an Eyezon Envisalink 4 module.

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can still self-monitor with the IQ Pro, you would just need to subscribe to a self-monitoring plan that some DIY alarm companies like AlarmGrid offer. The IQ Pro will work with any alarm company that supports alarm.com. If you want self-monitoring that doesn't cost anything than you're best bet is the Honeywell Vista 20P and an Eyezon Envisalink 4 module.
Hmm that's exactly what i need. Problem is, I can't seem to find the Qolsys IQ Pro system anywhere to get a price on one :)

Reaction score
It just “soft launched” a month ago. It’s not really available yet but I’m hoping it will be within the next month or so. AlarmGrid has the product page on their website but it’s listed as not available at the moment. If you search Qolsys IQ Pro on their website you’ll find it.

Reaction score
Hmm that's exactly what i need. Problem is, I can't seem to find the Qolsys IQ Pro system anywhere to get a price on one :)
The pricing is high. A Vista 20P with the Eyezon Envisalink 4 module is a more solid bet IMO, as it just 'works'.

Qolsys IQ Pro link:

Reaction score
The pricing is high. A Vista 20P with the Eyezon Envisalink 4 module is a more solid bet IMO, as it just 'works'.

Qolsys IQ Pro link:

That’s the soft launch version that doesn’t come with Zwave. I’m curious what the price is going to be for the full release version like this model- Qolsys IQ Pro - Verizon LTE, PowerG System w/ Honeywell/2GIG 345 MHz Support in a Metal Enclosure

While the Vista 20p is a great panel, Honeywell’s (Resideo) integration of Total Connect 2.0 and zwave (using the Tuxedo keypads) is an embarrassment. Honestly I can’t wait to swap out my Vista with the IQ Pro and jump to the alarm.com platform.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have a ring, live in a low crime area, never had a security system (literally grew up with front Door unlocked). Wifie wants something with cameras and sensors as she is reading the news...

My experience with alarm company's is not good. MIL got screwed for a year(charged for no serv), cust serv is usually crap, false alarms are rampant etc etc etc. so I really don't want to get a subscription or pro installed system. Not quite sure of the price point, but we want to be able to monitor remotely.

Advice for a first timer??
If you're looking for something with self-monitoring without a monthly fee then your best bet is the Vista 20P with an Envisalink 4 module. The Envisalink 4 module is a 3rd party device that connects to the panel via the ECP bus and connects to your LAN via an ethernet cable. The module will allow you to receive status alerts for arming, disarming, alarms etc. You can also remotely control the system. However, the Vista 20p is not the easiest to program and some of the devices need to be hardwired (keypad, siren etc.)

The easier option would be to go with something like the Qolsys IQ4 or IQ Pro and select a self-monitoring plan with a DIY alarm company like AlarmGrid or Surety Home. They support self-installed alarm systems and offer contract free monitoring or self-monitoring. The IQ4 operations on the alarm.com platform and it's not compatible with 3rd party devices like the Vista20p. The IQ4 and Pro support encrypted wireless sensors and in my opinion the alarm.com platform is superior to the Total Connect and Envisalink platform. The IQ 4/Pro panels are professional grade alarm systems and can be monitored by just about any alarm company that supports alarm.com so you'll have a large selection of companies to choose from. The two I listed in this post are pretty popular with DIYers and have a good reputation.

It sounds like your MIL probably had an alarm system installed by an incompetent alarm company (probably a well known company). If the alarm system is designed and installed properly with quality sensors (dual tech motions instead of standard PIR etc.) short of user error you will not have a false alarm .

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
As with any industry, there are "good" local alarm companies and there are "bad" local alarm companies - especially when it comes to the monitoring contracts. This is where a company makes their money, and the monitoring services are often overpriced and require a long contract. Just be very careful in what you sign if you go this route.

There is nothing special (or dangerous) about an alarm system. With today's wireless technologies, it is easier than every to install an alarm system in an existing structure. If you have any DIY type skills - especially if that is combined with even a basic knowledge of low voltage wiring and/or computers, you should be able to research and install a system yourself. There are monitoring options available outside of your local alarm companies, so even if you want your system to be monitored (something that probably isn't needed in a low crime area), you can sign up for a service pretty easily and not be locked into a long contract.

We have an alarm system and the entire family uses it (a system is pointless if people won't arm the system as they leave). Honestly we use it more for automation based tasks (like changing the HVAC temps, turning lights on/off, etc based on occupancy - home, home night time, away, away vacation) than anything.

Reaction score
There are monitoring options available outside of your local alarm companies, so even if you want your system to be monitored (something that probably isn't needed in a low crime area), you can sign up for a service pretty easily and not be locked into a long contract.
I would disagree saying that monitoring isn't needed solely based on living in a low crime area. The crime still happens, just not as often. There still can still be spikes in burglaries or a burglary crew traveling thorough the area. I'd rather have it and not need it. Not to mention these systems are capable of providing fire, CO and flood detection and obviously a structure fire can occur regardless of where you live.

Reaction score
What kind of system are you looking for? Hardwired, wireless or Hybrid (Hardwired and Wireless)? Do you want professional central station monitoring or self-monitoring?
Hybrid of wireless and wired. House is framed but not drywalled yet. Windows are installed. I would prefer not to drill near a window or into a window frame so I believe wireless may be a better option. Presence/motion and glass break alarms I imagine can be either wire or wireless. Two additional keypads beyond the master bedroom keypad (so three keypads total) should be wired together.

I want the option to central station monitor but there may be a time in the future in which I don't have it centrally monitored and I want that option.

It would be preferred to be compatible with alarm.com but is not a requirement.

Must be able to acquire and install the products myself as a DIY but if there is a fantastic product that is dealer network based then I'm happy to pay a professional a reasonable amount to sell and install a system.

Reaction score
Hybrid of wireless and wired. House is framed but not drywalled yet. Windows are installed. I would prefer not to drill near a window or into a window frame so I believe wireless may be a better option. Presence/motion and glass break alarms I imagine can be either wire or wireless. Two additional keypads beyond the master bedroom keypad (so three keypads total) should be wired together.

I want the option to central station monitor but there may be a time in the future in which I don't have it centrally monitored and I want that option.

It would be preferred to be compatible with alarm.com but is not a requirement.

Must be able to acquire and install the products myself as a DIY but if there is a fantastic product that is dealer network based then I'm happy to pay a professional a reasonable amount to sell and install a system.
I just made my own thread to not hijack this one.