Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want remote access to the camera webinterface, i did never manage that

If you just want to config your camera make a connection to one POE Ports like in the start topic.

Stephen Lu

n3wb
Reaction score
So you means HIK or Dahua doesn’t support port forwarding from POE LAN port to WAN port?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So you means HIK or Dahua doesn’t support port forwarding from POE LAN port to WAN port?
On the assumption that when you say 'WAN' port you actually mean 'LAN' port - - yes, the Hikvision NVRs will pass network traffic between PoE ports and devices on the LAN.
Direct access to the cameras via the NVR is provided with the facility called 'Virtual Host'.
And if network routing is suitably configured, direct access to PoE-connected cameras from LAN-connected devices is available.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not all NVRs or firmwares have Virtual Host option.
All of the latest firmware offerings do support it, and have for some time now, so unless someone has outdated firmware or a discontinued recorder or both, they should be able to toggle it on. I do remember a time when one of my 7600 SE models did not have virtual hosts, and somewhere along the lines with one of the firmware updates, it appeared. New recorders are obviously going to ship with that feature though.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this Ted! One of my main annoyances with my system is now gone.

Vince

Actually there is an easy way to login your IP Cameras through web browsers.
Login to NVR with web browsers first.
Then, go to Advance Settings of Network Settings page
There is a option(Virtual Host). Please Enable this function.
When you go back to Camera Management, you will see there is a link on each row for you to access your cameras on web browsers directly.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I figured I'd make a new post for this. It's nothing particulalry new and I certainly didn't invent this wheel! But I was taught how to do it and I want to pass it on to other people who have NVR's with built in POE. There IS a way to hit the cameras web pages directly, right through the NVR, with a laptop or netbook- or even a desktop if that's handy as well. You may never need to do this if you like what you see by default from your cameras. But if you ever need to get into their web service pages directly, this is a cool and easy way to do it.

Do this-

- Plug the laptop into an open POE port on the NVR
Done!

Very slick indeed for POE NVR'S.

On my Dahua 5216-16P it says in the manual not to plug a "switch" into a POE. Figure it means internet connection or PC. Isn't clear whether it damages anything. See picture excerpt of manual. Red markings & note are mine. 5126 Do not connect Internet to POE.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are 802.3at PoE complaint then its safe to plug anything into em; they cannot deliver power w/out the device specifically requesting it.

but there are many reasons not to chain a switch off one of those ports.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
they are 802.3at PoE complaint then its safe to plug anything into em; they cannot deliver power w/out the device specifically requesting it.

Good..didn't know.. spending the afternoon looking through the NVR manual and playing with the system. He's right about the NVR camera access. I'm not seeing a lot of camera functions like cutting the IR on and off, setting the password, etc that I saw while accessing the cameras through a router.

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can plug any ip camera on these ports and you can put switch behind. Working absolutely fine. The manual talking about "Router" it will not work on this ports to access the internet. That is all they want to tell there.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Works on my Dahua 5216 16P great! Have access to all my camera functions. Now that was a helpful post. :)

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was able to do a quick video on this process. Hope it helps.

This is good . @nayr I have a spare computer kicking around. Could I just leave it connected all the time , leave the IP set so I can access the cameras from that PC any time I want ?

Reaction score
Hi,
For those who still have trouble accessing the web interface of the cameras connected to the POE ports:
1. get the most basic router you can find such as this: Aliexpress.com : Buy Smallest Nexx WT3020F 300M Portable Mini Router 802.11 b/g/n AP Repeater Wifi Wireless Router Support 3G Modem USB Flash Drive from Reliable router suppliers on Anjue Green Technology Co., Ltd
2. Disable the DHCP server on the new router and set up WAN and LAN Ip addresses to be in the same class as the POE ports of the NVR and your local network.
3. on the existing router that gives you internet access set up a static route so you can access the subnet (POE connected devices) through the new tiny router.
This way you will have direct access to your cameras without the need to connect any computer directly to one of the NVR POE ports, you will have direct access from any computer connected to your local LAN.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
For those who still have trouble accessing the web interface of the cameras connected to the POE ports:
1. get the most basic router you can find such as this: Aliexpress.com : Buy Smallest Nexx WT3020F 300M Portable Mini Router 802.11 b/g/n AP Repeater Wifi Wireless Router Support 3G Modem USB Flash Drive from Reliable router suppliers on Anjue Green Technology Co., Ltd
2. Disable the DHCP server on the new router and set up WAN and LAN Ip addresses to be in the same class as the POE ports of the NVR and your local network.
3. on the existing router that gives you internet access set up a static route so you can access the subnet (POE connected devices) through the new tiny router.
This way you will have direct access to your cameras without the need to connect any computer directly to one of the NVR POE ports, you will have direct access from any computer connected to your local LAN.
Cheers.
If you get a chance post some screen captures of the settings.

Reaction score
If you get a chance post some screen captures of the settings.
Hi,
I am not sure if screenshots would help, as the GUI is different on each router. On top of this, on that tiny router that I use I replaced the firmware as the original one did not have the option to disable the WiFi and I did not need it to be active.
I try to briefly explain the settings below:
On NVR for example I call the POE ports side "LAN" and the uplink (the port connected to my internet router "WAN". The NVR LAN is set as 192.168.10.1, The NVR WAN is 192.168.1.1. The internet router has its LAN IP set as 192.168.1.2.
On the internet router (192.168.1.2) I set up a static route this way: Destination IP address 192.168.10.0 , Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 , Gateway IP address 192.168.1.250 , Network Interface : LAN .
Now I set the small router that I use to access the cameras connected to NVR POE ports this way:
WAN: static IP 192.168.10.250, Gateway 192.168.10.1 (or empty)
LAN: static IP 192.168.1.250, gateway 192.168.1.2 (or empty), DHCP server deactivated
I connected the WAN of the tiny router to the last POE connector on the NVR and the LAN to the local network (internet router switch)
Now from any computer connected to my local network (for example the computer having the IP 192.168.1.5) I can directly access my IP camera connected to the NVR POE port and which has the IP 192.168.10.148.
I hope this helps:)

Last edited:

muddypuddle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was wondering,

With my new Dahua 4 channel poe NVR (4104p)

under the Network Tab there is a Switch setting which seems to control the cameras subnet IP, can I just change this to another address - one that I can access the cameras through my web browser?

(cant seem to see any "virtual host")

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With my NVR5216-16P-4KS2, the NVR does NO routing at all so I would think that whatever address range you put in there will NOT be visible to your network.

Wayne