Hikvision USA Retail NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P password does not work after upgrade

Edlee

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a retail USA Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P, and my password does not take after I downgraded by accident to version
  • DS-76xx N1-E1(E2) 3.3.5:DS-76xxNI-E1(E2)P_USA_Firmware_3.3.5_151127

Can anyone help direct me on how to get this reset or why my password does not work anymore.

I did not realize it came with version 3.4.0 from the factory, and i assumed the newer dated file was newer, didnt realize i made a mistake

I have the original box, and EZVIZ cloud account.

I tried using the Hikvision password reset tool and sadp keeps saying "Password recovery failed" with serial code Syqeedeqyz
i found my start date as 2016 04 26, and serial as 1620151105AARR552170189WCVU from DS-7616NI-E2/8P1620151105AARR552170189WCVU

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Accessing by using a browser? Or the HDMI/VGA interface, or by an external app?
If this was a web GUI downgrade the password should not change.
You can get odd problems though with browser caching - have you either closed and re-opened the browser, or tried a different browser, or maybe (and this is something I try very hard to not have to do) cleared the cache on the browser?
Also worth trying is if SADP is happy with what you believe the password should be. Download here if you don't have it : http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/tools_82.html

If this was a tftp downgrade the configuration will be cleared - and with that version of the firmware you should encounter a need to 'activate' the NVR, which can be seen either via a browser to the web GUI, or SADP.
The old default passwords, before the version you downgraded to, are 12345 and 123456789abc

Did you by any chance export and save a copy of the device configuration file before the downgrade?

Edlee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, I tried different browser from different pcs, and i tried using SADP, and i do not get any activate screen and i tried both passwords you mentioned 12345 and 123456789abc with no luck.

I attached the output from SADP 3.0, but I have been trying to get this reset using sadp 2.0 serial code.

When I try to use the hdmi to login, it show a series of not typical letters in the username field

002DS-7616NI-E2/8PActive192.168.0.234 8000V3.3.5build 151127DS-7616NI-E2/8P1620151105AARR552170189WCVU255.255.255.028-57-be-86-61-57 0V5.0, build 1506252016-04-26 15:47:29fe80::2a57:beff:fe86:6157::64YesYesYesON

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried using the Hikvision password reset tool and sadp keeps saying "Password recovery failed" with serial code Syqeedeqyz
Does SADP allow you to use the old password to make a dummy configuration change?
With the newer firmware, you would have to get a recovery file from Hikvision, the tool on this forum no longer works on the newer firmware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When I try to use the hdmi to login, it show a series of not typical letters in the username field
I think we've seen a couple of posts with a similar problem - trying to recall what the way round that was.

*edit* but have not managed to find them with a forum search
Do you have a saved configuration file, exported from the maintenance menu?

Edlee

n3wb
Reaction score
no i dont have the saved configuration file, do you think I should tftp recovery upgrade to the 3.4.0 firmware that is on the european hikvision site, and hope my old password will work again?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What I would suggest then is a tftp recovery to the exact same firmware that you have already installed, as it already appears to work OK on your NVR.
This will clear the configuration back to defaults, and allow you to go through the 'device activation' process either with SADP V3.x or browser web GUI access to set a secure password.

Edlee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, for some reason i could not get tftp to connect, kept getting failure, even after rebooting 10 times, then all of a sudden i get the activation screen through hdmi, and it gave me an option to set new password.

Not sure how i got that to work.

Now im in the process of reloading 3.4.0, and hoping to forget this whole mess

Update: So I upgraded to 3.4.0, and now its giving same problem about password
none of the passwords work again

through hdmi, the username shows garbled text again

Edlee

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you just ignore the garbled text, leave as-is, and try the new password that you set?
Yes I tried that, and i have restarted the nvr 100 times trying to get it to take the file from the hikvision tftp, and it does not work.

Its strange that I was able to get it to activate previously when trying to unsuccessfully do tftp

I am giving up now, and just email my ebay rep the password reset xml file and hope he can get me back online

Reaction score
Same problem here. DS 7616NI-E2/8P (US version) working fine and connected to camera. After successfully changing to firmware 335 build 151127, the Admin name became garbled text, and the password I set no longer works. Also, it added about 30 users with garbled names. All the standard admin passwords I found on the forums also failed. The code generated by the password recovery tool failed (using the SADP start time and the serial number with and without the model prefix). Also, camera feed no longer shows up.

Yes I tried that, and i have restarted the nvr 100 times trying to get it to take the file from the hikvision tftp, and it does not work.

Its strange that I was able to get it to activate previously when trying to unsuccessfully do tftp

I am giving up now, and just email my ebay rep the password reset xml file and hope he can get me back online

Edlee

n3wb
Reaction score
I received codes from hikvision and my distrubuter, and both "reset password failed" through sadp, i have no clue what to do now, cause the device does not even take tftp

the hikvision cs only replied "Dear customer,
The password reset system may not 100% accurate."

There must have been a reset sequence i triggered when the activation screen prompted me the first time i had this issue.

Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear back from the seller. I contacted Hikvision too, but the customer service representative refused to help me since I didn't buy the NVR from one of their authorized distributors.

I received codes from hikvision and my distrubuter, and both "reset password failed" through sadp, i have no clue what to do now, cause the device does not even take tftp

the hikvision cs only replied "Dear customer,
The password reset system may not 100% accurate."

There must have been a reset sequence i triggered when the activation screen prompted me the first time i had this issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the customer service representative refused to help me since I didn't buy the NVR from one of their authorized distributors.
While you can understand that they need to manage their support costs, what are the marketing consequences of alienating you as a customer and mentioning this poor experience to your friends and the world?
They still haven't created any usable on-line self-help facilities which would play well to both these common issues.

shaoalan79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Edlee,

Here is some information, see if it helps:

1. With this new fw, the relatively older methods of resetting machine on this forum won't work any more, including 'html reset tool', 'tftp tool', they both will fail. Several posts on this forum already, Hikvision might have changed the way how 'tftp' works.

2. If you resort to Hikvision or your dealer's help, after you 'export' the file and send it to them, while waiting for the 'reset file', you CANNOT turn off the NVR, it needs to be ON all the way until the moment that you receive the 'reset file' and 'import' it back to the NVR. During this process, any single second when the NVR loses power, the 'reset file' on the way won't work any more.

3. When you see garbled text on the 'user', if you still can manage to log into the NVR with your old password, default the machine, 'admin' will reappear in the 'user' field.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help shaoalan79.
I just requested an unlock from the seller. I will keep the NVR on until I receive it.
They requested an XML file, but the SADP that installed with my Hikvision tools (v 1.2.1.2) only outputs Excel (XLS) files. I suspect they both contain the same information (serial number, start date/time, etc). Is there another place on SADP to save a file?

Edlee,

Here is some information, see if it helps:

1. With this new fw, the relatively older methods of resetting machine on this forum won't work any more, including 'html reset tool', 'tftp tool', they both will fail. Several posts on this forum already, Hikvision might have changed the way how 'tftp' works.

2. If you resort to Hikvision or your dealer's help, after you 'export' the file and send it to them, while waiting for the 'reset file', you CANNOT turn off the NVR, it needs to be ON all the way until the moment that you receive the 'reset file' and 'import' it back to the NVR. During this process, any single second when the NVR loses power, the 'reset file' on the way won't work any more.

3. When you see garbled text on the 'user', if you still can manage to log into the NVR with your old password, default the machine, 'admin' will reappear in the 'user' field.

Reaction score
Thanks shaoalan79,

I downloaded the SADP standalone tool (SADP Tool v3.0.0.2 from the link you sent). The installed version also outputs an XLS file. Which version do you use to get an XML file?

Happyslapping,

I've tried Hiktools downloaded from Hikvision, it didn't even work on my computer. It discovered nothing at all. I used the real SADP(not comes with hiktool), the output is a .XML file. I am not sure if your .xls will work or not. I highly doubted it.

The SADP link is here: http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Tools_82.html#prettyPhoto