Hikvision Turbo HD DVR vs NVR

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
hello guys,

So I need a recorder for my cameras, was looking at the options and saw that Hikvision has these Turbo HD DVR's which support Analog, HD TVI and IP cameras.

These look great from a flexibility point of view, as my experience with IP Cameras hasn't been completely positive; due to network lag, so still hesitant about going the complete IP Camera route and getting a NVR.

Has Anybody tried these Turbo HD DVR's and do they work good with IP Cameras as well?

I'm looking to set upto 8 IP Cameras recording at Full HD and 8 or less Turbo HD Cameras, or might get 16 IP Cameras with a Turbo HD DVR, for future flexibility sake.

Any recommendations guys?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious what you mean by 'network lag' - could you expand a bit?
Is it because IP cameras are doing a lot of the hard-graft video processing themselves before supplying the stream - encoding/compressing, motion detection / contents analysis etc which requires an internal buffered stream to operate on, hence the output is delayed from real-time?
Certainly different from the classical analogue technology where 'Live View' really was live - but the processing with resulting buffering was done in the DVR.

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah what I meant by network lag was that Analog Live view really was live, on IP I have been experiencing a delay of 1-2 second minimum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah what I meant by network lag was that Analog Live view really was live, on IP I have been experiencing a delay of 1-2 second minimum.
A properly configured network will result in less than a second of lag...though even a 10 second lag is not relevant unless you are live monitoring the system and require an immediate response...

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
OK so I am considering getting a ds-7616ni series 16 channel dvr without poe, but it does have a built in 8 port switch without poe, as I don't want to connect the cameras directly to the NVR. I already have a few PoE switches to which I'll attach the cameras to, since the wiring will also be more convenient this way. Essentially just connecting the NVR to the network and not the cameras directly to the NVR.

Should I be using the switch given on the NVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so I am considering getting a ds-7616ni series 16 channel dvr without poe, but it does have a built in 8 port switch without poe, as I don't want to connect the cameras directly to the NVR. I already have a few PoE switches to which I'll attach the cameras to, since the wiring will also be more convenient this way. Essentially just connecting the NVR to the network and not the cameras directly to the NVR.

Should I be using the switch given on the NVR?
Simply use your poe switchs...get an NVR without poe - it will be quieter..

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
My network is 10/100mbps, will it be sufficient to carry the stream from 16 3MP cameras, or will I need to upgrade to gigabit?. The switches are all gigabit and the NVR ethernet interface is gigabit compatible.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would never hurt to be on a gigabit, but 10/100 will handle 16mb x 3mb =48mb just fine.

hepc

n3wb
Reaction score
been using hikvison Turbo HD for some time now, we got 4 installations next week, all of them Turbo HD. Quality is GOOD, but keep in mind some things:
-use HighQuality RG6 Copper-Copper coax wire, with shielding..
-mind wire distance, dont go to far.
-use good isolation for camera support
-avoid metal contacts and power lines (important)
-keep in mind power req, use separate HQ PSU for longer distances. Amp shortage can cause interferences specially, with IR at night

Good Luck
HEPC

shad0w

n3wb
Reaction score
I was actually considering using the Turbo HD DVR as an NVR for upto 16 channels IP Cameras. Have you had any experience with that?

But found that I might be limited, so I just went with an NVR without POE, I'm doing POE separately, cabling is much easier and probably even less expensive and simpler, but cameras cost more. though they might be more futureproof.