Hikvision/Synology Surveillance Station Nightmare!

Munzz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I've encountered with my setup.

I have a DS-2CD2042WD-I linked to my NAS running Surveillance Station 7.1.

Over the past few weeks I've been recording via Motion Detection at the camera end which has worked OK but did provide a few false alerts.

With this in mind I've done some research and found that Intrusion Detection is the way forward (mainly because you can set a time threshold).

I've set it all up as expected but cannot for the life of me get Surveillance Station to record as expected, I've even made all settings as sensitive as can be without any luck.

Am I missing something here? Is this a known issue?

Any help is greatly, I hope it will work as I have two new Hik's on the way!

Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You typically need a matching NVR that supports such features.. 3rd party NVR's dont know how to subscribe to the events those generate, they are not as standardized as basic motion alerts.

ive tried to program against Line Cross/Intrusion detection on both hikvision and dahuas, they are not documented how you interact with them and they dont use the same methods motion alerts do.. so I hit a road block and kinda stopped, hoping a new API document would come out explaining how to listen for those events.

As far as I can tell the Onvif standard has no provisions for these events, I doubt Synology is going to work with anything other than basic motion detection.. sorry.

Munzz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You typically need a matching NVR that supports such features.. 3rd party NVR's dont know how to subscribe to the events those generate, they are not as standardized as basic motion alerts.

ive tried to program against Line Cross/Intrusion detection on both hikvision and dahuas, they are not documented how you interact with them and they dont use the same methods motion alerts do.. so I hit a road block and kinda stopped, hoping a new API document would come out explaining how to listen for those events.

As far as I can tell the Onvif standard has no provisions for these events, I doubt Synology is going to work with anything other than basic motion detection.. sorry.
Thanks for the response, just as I thought which is gutting as Smart Detection should eradicate all the false alerts I receive!

Hopefully SS release a version soon which could accommodate what I'm after.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add a bit to this discussion -
QNAP Surveillance Station also only supports basic motion detection for the Hikvision 2-series IPCs, via their standard models. There are no actions yet able to be associated with Hikvision's 'smart events'.
Hikvision 2-series IPCs do generate ONVIF events under event subscriptions from triggers configured in Line Detection and Intrusion Detection (you can see them with ONVIF Device Manager) - but using these cameras as an ONVIF model in Surveillance Station does not provide any more event types to associate actions with.

There is a fundamental architecture change in Surveillance Station that has been needed for some years but shows no signs of arriving.
I had dialogues over a long time with QNAP's Product Manager for SS, but did not get anything useful in response.
It's one reason I bought a couple of Hikvision NVRs. They do support a good range of 'smart events'.

Munzz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to add a bit to this discussion -
QNAP Surveillance Station also only supports basic motion detection for the Hikvision 2-series IPCs, via their standard models. There are no actions yet able to be associated with Hikvision's 'smart events'.
Hikvision 2-series IPCs do generate ONVIF events under event subscriptions from triggers configured in Line Detection and Intrusion Detection (you can see them with ONVIF Device Manager) - but using these cameras as an ONVIF model in Surveillance Station does not provide any more event types to associate actions with.

There is a fundamental architecture change in Surveillance Station that has been needed for some years but shows no signs of arriving.
I had dialogues over a long time with QNAP's Product Manager for SS, but did not get anything useful in response.
It's one reason I bought a couple of Hikvision NVRs. They do support a good range of 'smart events'.
Thanks for the detailed response, disappointing that SS haven't recognised this requirement yet, a shame considering the growing market of Hikvision cameras.

You mentioned that should I set the camera up as ONVIF then intrusion detection will work? I have tried this to no avail. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You mentioned that should I set the camera up as ONVIF then intrusion detection will work?
Not quite - what I did was to confirm that the Hikvision 2-series cameras, at least the ones I tested (2032, 2132, 2432, 2332, 3335) do generate ONVIF events from line crossing and intrusion detection configurations, as well as basic motion detection.
And that I'd tested the effect of this against the ONVIF model in QNAP Surveillance Station, and confirmed that the 'smart events' were not supported under their ONVIF model.
So it sounds like you have also tested this under Synology Surveillance Station and found the same disappointing result. You could check that your camera is generating these ONVIF events using ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net One of those 'really useful' utilities.
And it's not just Hikvision that have 'smart events', Dahua have them also, and presumably the low-cost Chinese brands will start incorporating them too.

flomuehl

n3wb
Reaction score
hi there, are there any solutions now by using the SS? What NVR should be used for hikvision smart events? will use 4 cams with intruder detection and line crossing because it seems the only way to me to get useable events. Motion detection will not work without failure alerts by night or by short events like shadows, lights or anything else.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alerts are over rated, Disk Space is cheap.. set your detectors up as sensitive as you can reasonably make it and then record 24/7/365.. then you'll have markings on your timeline when movement was detected, without missing anything and without being annoyed.

Even line cross is easily triggered by moths and other bugs.. how many times you going to be alerted about bugs before you start ignoring all alers? (hint: wont take long, see: boy whom cried wolf)