Hikvision POE new install

AMCross

n3wb
Reaction score
hi there

may I ask what is the benefit of making the hikvision cameras active by using sadp program

when you can just plug them into the hikvision nvr set to record and that's it

am I missing something

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SADP is useful when you aren't using a NVR.

AMCross

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks now understood managed to update all cameras on one system today

the operating software is another issue

got two umits they need updating using the check for update on nvr says no updates but when you goto hikvision website you can download latest

then when you try to upgrade I get an error wrong firmware whilst the pdf files says its for the correct unit

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There are multiple series of NVR, multiple versions of firmware, multiple Hikvision websites to download from. All different choices.
The pdf (presumed Release Notes) is a generic statement for a specific version of firmware. across all models.
If it says it's the wrong firmware, it's the wrong firmware. You need to match the download version to the actual model.
You are very lucky you didn't 'brick' the NVR.
What's the exact model of the NVR, and what link did you source the firmware from?

AMCross

n3wb
Reaction score
such a shame that hikvision don't make things easy for their customers who buy authorised uk product

the units are DS-7716NI-E4/16P

got the firmware from the european portal

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's the serial number of your unit? Are you sure it's not a chinese model?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
this is the version I downloaded and it clearly states it would work on my model
That is a generic release note, it's not firmware.
It's not so much the 'version number' of the firmware that's important - it's whether the specific file you download is for your specific NVR.
The same 'version number' of firmware is available for multiple different series of NVR. The files are different, even though the version number is the same.
New think this is the one I needed

HIKVISION EUROPE
Yes, that is correct for your quoted model.
got the firmware from the european portal
Which one did you try that was rejected?

AMCross

n3wb
Reaction score
all sorted now and its defo a UK model as I checked with hikvision uk

seems the release above worked

but they should really tighten up their firmware release site as its a disgrace

spending the last 20 years working on pintables and jukeboxes and video machines using software updates continuously has made me reliant on a decent set out technical site

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but they should really tighten up their firmware release site as its a disgrace
In truth, the Hikvision Europe firmware download site is quite clear and well organised, in my view.
Downloads are grouped by the general type of device, and then by the model series of the device, with the firmware file names being clearly related to the model series as opposed to using a generic name.
There is even a cross-reference spreadsheet listing models against firmware.
I think that where you went wrong was not realising that the firmware release note that is included in all the download areas refers to the firmware version number, the builds for which have been created for the ranges of models as specified in the release note.
So you can't pick just any part of the download area, look at the release note, and assume that the specific firmware in that download area will work for your model just because the release note says that the firmware version is available for your model.
I hope that makes sense, and is helpful for any future activity.