Hikvision POE cameras

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
New account as locked out my old one.

we looking to add a couple of new cameras to our NVR at work to cover a few blind spots.

we currently have a DS-7616NI-E2-16P with some DS-2CD2335-I and DS-2CD2332-I5 done and bullet cams.

looking for a decent couple of cameras that will work at a height of around 5m off the floor and give a good image (nothing too fancy)

Is the hi-look compatible with out NVR? I believe this is more the domestic brand for hikvision?

Did see a couple of hilook 5mp IPC-T259H colourVU cams for £67.
Not sure what else is well priced and a decent spec.

any suggestions without breaking the bank?

thanks

Chris

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did see a couple of hilook 5mp IPC-T259H colourVU cams for £67.
Not sure what else is well priced and a decent spec.
Be advised it's a full-color only camera with visible white LED's and has no IR for night time. And if ambient visible light is not adequate and you don't want to turn on the white LED's it may not even be receptive to outboard / supplemental IR LED emitters. :idk:

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score
Be advised it's a full-color only camera with visible white LED's and has no IR for night time. And if ambient visible light is not adequate and you don't want to turn on the white LED's it may not even be receptive to outboard / supplemental IR LED emitters. :idk:
Thanks for the reply.
Out the back of the garage is fairly well lit by 2 large floodlights so should be good.
only other area isn’t lit, so I could move one of the older cameras out the back and replace the new one out the front street which is covered by street lighting.

that’s the view we have currently, and the camera looking to add will face towards the view of the current one pictured.

failing that, is there anything else suitable with built in IR sensors?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found 3 different spec sheets for that cam regarding resolution-to-sensor-size ratio so I hesitate to recommend a cam that may not be available to you in the UK.
Since you know your needs just make sure the cam has a sensor size good for its resolution (megapixels) for good nighttime performance, especially if there's motion, as shown on this chart:

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score

This is the one I’ve found which seems to be from a U.K. seller.

does state it has IR so could be better than the one I spied on eBay.

I’ve no idea about camera sensor sizes and megapixels so will struggle there myself! Haha

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score
1/1.27” sensor would give good 2.1mp/1080p footage and average 3mp pixel footage in the dark?
Which works out same as what we have currently with the cam mentioned above?

does look like limited by the NVR only taking 6MP, so even a 8mp camera isn’t running at its best if you lowered the quality. Together with our NVR only allowing H264 and +compression. So seems limited without being able to go h265.

am I right in saying that?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1/1.27” sensor would give good 2.1mp/1080p footage and average 3mp pixel footage in the dark?
Which works out same as what we have currently with the cam mentioned above?
Yes, I would say it should offer decent performance.
does look like limited by the NVR only taking 6MP, so even a 8mp camera isn’t running at its best if you lowered the quality. Together with our NVR only allowing H264 and +compression. So seems limited without being able to go h265.

am I right in saying that?
Quite possibly.
In all honesty, I use Blue Iris VMS and have limited NVR experience.:cool:

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually got chance to sit down at the computer and have a bit comparison between the different models they do.

The DS-2CD2347G2H-LI(U) actually looks to be the best all rounder @ £104+vat. Its got a 1/1.8" sensor so gets good(green) at 4MP in the dark on the chart above, and it has the IR AND smart LEDs.

I looked at the DS-2CD2347G2-LU which is essentially the same camera @ £101 +vat and that only has the white light with no IR, so guess its not as good in the lower light conditions.

Only other one I looked at was a cheaper option DS-2CD2346G2-IU @ £87+vat, however the 1/2.7" sensor means it drops down to good at 2.1MP and average at 3MP - which I guess will have a decent difference in the image quality. (which actually shows as a 1/3" sensor on hikvision's own website.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The DS-2CD2347G2H-LI(U) actually looks to be the best all rounder @ £104+vat. Its got a 1/1.8" sensor so gets good(green) at 4MP in the dark on the chart above, and it has the IR AND smart LEDs.
FWIW, that would be my choice of the 3. :cool:

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score
2 new cameras arrived today.

regarding the activation, is there a special procedure? Or is it a case of plugging into the existing NVR and them working? Never had new ones so unsure on the process

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If the cameras are 'inactive' and the NVR PoE port is set to Plug&Play all that's needed is to connect the camera to the NVR PoE port.
The NVR will activate the camera, set the password as configured in the NVR and set the camera IP address automatically.

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score
brand new hikvision out the box.
I did have a quick read of the NVR manual (ds-7616ni-e2) and seemed to suggest the same.

seems fairly straight forwards. Plug and play.

If the cameras are 'inactive' and the NVR PoE port is set to Plug&Play all that's needed is to connect the camera to the NVR PoE port.
The NVR will activate the camera, set the password as configured in the NVR and set the camera IP address automatically.

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score
That's quite an old model NVR.
What model and firmware version are the cameras you ended up buying?
There may be some compatibility issues if there is a big gap in the device ages.
I got the DS-2CD2347G2H-LIU - not sure what firmware is on them yet as havent got them put up yet.

I did check the specs vs the NVR and they both do H264 encoding. Although the NVR doesnt support H265 from memory. I think we should be ok. NVR supports up to 6mp camera so the 4mp ones are a decent option.

I think I covered all the basis when I looked, hence being unable to spec a 4k camera or one with higher MP's

NVR:

And the camera:

Carsey

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it up and working, but now I can’t connect to it with the NVR. Keep getting a parameter abnormal error on the camera setup screen.
Tried with manual and plug and play. Even enable h.265 (for initial access)
I can only think it’s not outputting in the right encoding.

can I alter the IP of the camera via the POR port on the NVR to that of our local network? POE/camera are 182.158.254.x and network/NVR is 192.168.1.x.
That way the cameras should show in SADP tool so can acess via web?

it’s got my head confused.