Hikvision NVR with Cantonk Cams issues

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
having the hardest time getting them to work.
To show video, record video, use motion detection?
Does that NVR model have a resolution limitation, maybe 3MP max?

On a different Hikvision NVR (7816) with my slightly unusual configuration, pulling an S500 on an NVR PoE port from another NVR and also a NAS that the 'Hikvision' option of the Herospeed firmware was not very reliable, so I changed to using ONVIF and it has been OK.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I purchased the following NVR to go with some Cantonk cams and having the hardest time getting them to work. Anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_433_i5420.html

Makes me love my Blue Iris setup even more!!!! But for nontech people its probably too much.
So what's the issue? They work just like a Hikvision cam will and recent firmware updates utilize Hikvision protocols. In terms of BI, it's just too much even for highly technical people, can't beat simplicity of NVR.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed it to manual. I changed the IP address to be different. Made sure the was same network as the NVR. I set it to ONVIF and put in the username and password. Ive been trying to set it up from the NVR itself not through a web browser. There is a 2MP limit and the cameras are 2MP. I have a Purple Drive in them of 2TB.

I get an error saying something along the lines of incorrect protocol. And sometimes 2 cameras show but that doesnt last as long. I purchased from Nellys and they are showing the same firmware that it has. Not sure if there is another updated one as this one is no longer on their site.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Does the Cantonk UI look like Hikvision UI? If that's the case use Hikvision and port 8000.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks closer to that from what i can tell from google search. I don't have any hikvision cams. Its not like my Cantonk cameras that have the Boxes at the bottom and right side you click. (Which i think you have cams like)

I will have to try again today. I'm sure i'm missing something stupid.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
YES! That is what the current ones i purchased are that i'm having issues with. The ones i have at home is the one i posed above.

So hikvision protocol 8000 port? Thanks for the help! Will report back later tonight

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, try selecting Hikvision instead of ONVIF with 8000 port.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In terms of BI, it's just too much even for highly technical people, can't beat simplicity of NVR.
Nonesense. Ive got 20+ systems with about 50 or so users, 45 of which have no technical experience at all. Zero issues. I did have lots of problems when folks were trying to view video recorded using hikvisions crappy mobile app - thankfuly ive replaced all but one standalone NVR.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Nonesense. Ive got 20+ systems with about 50 or so users, 45 of which have no technical experience at all. Zero issues. I did have lots of problems when folks were trying to view video recorded using hikvisions crappy mobile app - thankfuly ive replaced all but one standalone NVR.
It just tells us that you are great at upselling it. Everything has it's own pros and cons and I am glad we have those options, but with BI it has dated looking web interface overwelming configuration options, requirements for high spec machine with full blown OS as well as separate POE switch... there are actually people including highly technical ones who appreciate small footprint of NVR without needing all the bells and whistles.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It just tells us that you are great at upselling it. Everything has it's own pros and cons and I am glad we have those options, but with BI it has dated looking web interface overwelming configuration options, requirements for high spec machine with full blown OS as well as separate POE switch... there are actually people including highly technical ones who appreciate small footprint of NVR without needing all the bells and whistles.
Up selling implies i benefit somehow. Stop with the deliberate misrepresentations. I did not charge for any of my installs. Get your facts straight before yammering on.
The BI web interface is not used much but gets the job done. At least you can actually see the alert clips with it even if you record continuously. I would be embarrassed to tell a user that if you record continuously on hikvision you cannot see events. The mobile app, kills hikvision's app in every respect. The motion detection blows away hikvision crappy camera motion detection.
All this can be run on a 200-300 dollar pc for most installations. Nothing "high spec". The hikvison nvr is ok for 24/h recording, nothing else.
Seems you enjoy taking every opportunity to trash blue iris. Ill point out your misrepresentations when you do. With Milestone releasing essentials for free for up to 8 cams in two weeks, it further negates the need for hikvsion's crappy NVR's. I could never in good conscience install a hikvision nvr...

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman. $600 Budget 6 cameras. How would you go about installing it on a Mobile Home?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Up selling implies i benefit somehow. Stop with the deliberate misrepresentations. I did not charge for any of my installs. Get your facts straight before yammering on.
I did not imply you are benefiting financially or not, but if you are recommeding and installing it you are benfiting from it one way or the other. You wouldn't do this if it was negatively impacting your business. Whether it's a client satisfaction or whatever.

The BI web interface is not used much but gets the job done.
I use web interface all the time, I don't see how this isn't used much and one of the main reasons I went with NVR.

The mobile app, kills hikvision's app in every respect.
I don't care much about free Hikvision app or expensive BI mobile app which as matter of fact also has dated UI. Tiny Cam Pro kills both of them anyway

The motion detection blows away hikvision crappy camera motion detection.
The only thing I would agree

All this can be run on a 200-300 dollar pc for most installations. Nothing "high spec".
I must've misread your recommendations of $400+ PCs... which doesn't include a POE switch, software license when you can spend much less and get all in one solution which also runs much more efficiently.

The hikvison nvr is ok for 24/h recording, nothing else.
Somehow this is all I need and I get my basic notifications as well. I don't need a kitchen sink.

Seems you enjoy taking every opportunity to trash blue iris.
This is internet. Relax. You seem to be overly sensitive about differences of opinion and blowing things out proportion. Or should I react to every single post of yours when you trash Huisun or Longse? I don't care, trash all you want.

I could never in good conscience install a hikvision nvr...
Sure, stick with what works for you. I've used BI as well as IVMS-4200 before I made a switch to have dedicated NVR over a year ago and I don't regret this decision one bit despite the known limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not imply you are benefiting financially or not, but if you are recommeding and installing it you are benfiting from it one way or the other. You wouldn't do this if it was negatively impacting your business. Whether it's a client satisfaction or whatever.

I use web interface all the time, I don't see how this isn't used much and one of the main reasons I went with NVR.

I don't care much about free Hikvision app or expensive BI mobile app which as matter of fact also has dated UI. Tiny Cam Pro kills both of them anyway

The only thing I would agree

I must've misread your recommendations of $400+ PCs... which doesn't include a POE switch, software license when you can spend much less and get all in one solution which also runs much more efficiently.

Somehow this is all I need and I get my basic notifications as well. I don't need a kitchen sink.

This is internet. Relax. You seem to be overly sensitive about differences of opinion and blowing things out proportion. Or should I react to every single post of yours when you trash Huisun or Longse? I don't care, trash all you want.

Sure, stick with what works for you. I've used BI as well as IVMS-4200 before I made a switch to have dedicated NVR over a year ago and I don't regret this decision one bit despite the known limitations.
Once again you are jumping to false conclusions. I dont run a business related to ip cameras. I make my living in a completely unrelated field.
When would you use the web interface? Most of us are mobile most of the day. The app is fantastic. Ultimately there will be a windows client. (the free milestone will have it, if you MUST use one)...You can easily login to the system with teamviewer or RDP, getting full functionality.
400+ pc's was way back before hardware acceleration and when pc's were more expensive. You can pickup haswell i5-4590 pc's for 200-250....Skylake for 300. Your numbers are off. No thanks to built in POE and those LOUD fans. YUK.
NO way you can get reliable alerts with hikvision motion detection, either you get TONS of false alrerts OR you MISS tons of alerts.

Its interesting how you claim I trash husiun and longse (both garbage) but you feel you can go trashing hikvision and blue iris. You do it all the time, so I wont hold back. You went out of your way to trash blue iris here. The OP is familiar with blue iris. You could have made your recommendation without the trashing.
I wont let you post misinformation. I dont need you on the forum. So if you feel like acting like an ass, you can do it someplace else.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Once again you are jumping to false conclusions. I dont run a business related to ip cameras. I make my living in a completely unrelated field.
When would you use the web interface? Most of us are mobile most of the day. The app is fantastic. Ultimately there will be a windows client. (the free milestone will have it, if you MUST use one)...You can easily login to the system with teamviewer or RDP, getting full functionality.
400+ pc's was way back before hardware acceleration and when pc's were more expensive. You can pickup haswell i5-4590 pc's for 200-250....Skylake for 300. Your numbers are off. No thanks to built in POE and those LOUD fans. YUK.
NO way you can get reliable alerts with hikvision motion detection, either you get TONS of false alrerts OR you MISS tons of alerts.

Its interesting how you claim I trash husiun and longse (both garbage) but you feel you can go trashing hikvision and blue iris. You do it all the time, so I wont hold back. You went out of your way to trash blue iris here. The OP is familiar with blue iris. You could have made your recommendation without the trashing.
I wont let you post misinformation. I dont need you on the forum. So if you feel like acting like an ass, you can do it someplace else.
let me remind you that my harmless comment such as "In terms of BI, it's just too much even for highly technical people, can't beat simplicity of NVR." was judged by you as "trashing" when it was simply just an opinion that related to technical people choices. If you really want to know what I would consider trashing then you can refer to your own comments about Longse/Huisun/NVR or pretty much anything that you don't like.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright lets shake dicks and stop this pissing contest.

I set it to Hikvision protocols and 8000, onvif 80 and 8080 and one camera worked with hikvision. Which 4 are identical which is confusing. I'm going to try and double check camera settings themselves. All i did on them was change the IP, 15 FPS. Wonder if there is something in there i am missing. Cameras respond with ONVIF viewer. Only had a small window to work so going to try again tomorrow.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
let me remind you that my harmless comment such as "In terms of BI, it's just too much even for highly technical people, can't beat simplicity of NVR." was judged by you as "trashing" when it was simply just an opinion that related to technical people choices. If you really want to know what I would consider trashing then you can refer to your own comments about Longse/Huisun/NVR or pretty much anything that you don't like.
It's a false statement.... folks who have no technical experience have setup blue Iris..
Stop misleading...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It's a false statement.... folks who have no technical experience have setup blue Iris..
Stop misleading...
Alright, you win on this one. I can't beat this statement: "folks who have no technical experience have setup blue Iris.."