Hikvision NVR re-assigned camera I.P. address

Redbone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, let me preface that I'm use to working with Dahua but recently installed a Hikvision p.o.e. NVR and Hikvision I.P. cams. Initially the cams were setup with their own I.P. addressed allowing me to reach each cam via a browser but subsequently even after a cam reset I can not see the cams on the network but can see them via the NVR with a unknown I.P. numbering scheme. Anyone else come across this and if so know how I can access these cams direct again. Thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
In your NVR can you set the cameras back to DHCP and then reboot them so your router will hand them an IP on your network?

After that, you need to assign static IPs to the cameras. You should do this through your router by using DHCP reservations. That way, you know what address to reach your cameras at.

In my home network, I reserve 192.168.1. 1 - 192.168. 1.50 for all my static devices (cameras, computers, etc..). Then anything at and above 192.168.1.51 is used by the router for the DHCP pool.

Redbone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In your NVR can you set the cameras back to DHCP and then reboot them so your router will hand them an IP on your network?

After that, you need to assign static IPs to the cameras. You should do this through your router by using DHCP reservations. That way, you know what address to reach your cameras at.

In my home network, I reserve 192.168.1. 1 - 192.168. 1.50 for all my static devices (cameras, computers, etc..). Then anything at and above 192.168.1.51 is used by the router for the DHCP pool.

Will give that a shot next time I'm up at friends cottage where the system is setup.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The PoE ports are on their own network segment, usually with a 192.168.254.x address.
To access the camera web GUI directly, activate ' Virtual host ' in the NVR web GUI, network / advanced settings then use the connection link in the NVR camera management page to access the cameras.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The PoE ports are on their own network segment, usually with a 192.168.254.x address.
To access the camera web GUI directly, activate ' Virtual host ' in the NVR web GUI, network / advanced settings then use the connection link in the NVR camera management page to access the cameras.
I didn't know that. So I'm guessing the NVR handles the IP stack (e.g. DHCP, routing, etc..) on its own PoE ports? If so, then he should be able to set a DHCP reservation for the cams on those PoE ports from within the actual NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If so, then he should be able to set a DHCP reservation for the cams on those PoE ports from within the actual NVR.
The Hikvision NVR PoE ports don't do DHCP, there is no DHCP service.
The NVR is given administrative access over most configuration elements of the camera via the ISAPI (command and control) protocol.