Hikvision NVR password reset

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey all,

I got an NVR from a friend of mine, and they don't remember the password, and the NVR is not one that was sold thru Hikvision here in north america, so the password reset page from Hikvision is of no help to me.

I'm wondering if anyone on here can help me out with it.

Thanks,
Kevin

bigalsj

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me know if you have any luck. I'm in a similar situation. My buddy never set a password and enrolled using the annke app. We've deleted the device from his account, and I've tried exporting the file required to reset the password. They have sent me over 20 files and even connected to my system via teamviewer, but still not luck. Getting the following error "Password reset failed. Device denied.

I've also tried using the online hikvision password reset, but that doesn't work. Accourding to Annke support this nvr can't use a code to reset password. I have a annke 4k model n48paw. It does have an outdated firmware as well, so I asked the support rep if she could update the firmware, but she just brushed me off.

I'm totally frustrated and not sure what else to do to make this work. Unfortunalely I don't have the money to buy another nvr.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I got an NVR from a friend of mine, and they don't remember the password, and the NVR is not one that was sold thru Hikvision here in north america, so the password reset page from Hikvision is of no help to me.
If the NVR has PoE ports set to 'Plugs&Play' mode (the default) and you have a Hikvision camera with firmware 5.4.0 or earlier, you can use this 'trojan horse' trick to extract the NVR password, if the original NVR owner wasn't savvy enough to select the camera-specific password option in the NVR configuration :

Reset the camera to factory defaults so it is 'Inactive'.
Connect it to an NVR PoE port and wait a couple of minutes for the NVR to 'Activate' it.
Connect a PC to an unused NVR PoE port, and start SADP.

SADP will find both the NVR and the camera and show their IP addresses and status.
Change the PC IP address to be in the same range as that of the camera, for example 192.168.254.100
In the browser, use this URL, using the camera IP address :
http://<camera_IP_address>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

This should extract a configuration file.
Zip it up and attach here, and it can be decrypted and decoded to extract the camera password, which should be the same as that of the NVR.

bigalsj

n3wb
Reaction score
If the NVR has PoE ports set to 'Plugs&Play' mode (the default) and you have a Hikvision camera with firmware 5.4.0 or earlier, you can use this 'trojan horse' trick to extract the NVR password, if the original NVR owner wasn't savvy enough to select the camera-specific password option in the NVR configuration :

Reset the camera to factory defaults so it is 'Inactive'.
Connect it to an NVR PoE port and wait a couple of minutes for the NVR to 'Activate' it.
Connect a PC to an unused NVR PoE port, and start SADP.

SADP will find both the NVR and the camera and show their IP addresses and status.
Change the PC IP address to be in the same range as that of the camera, for example 192.168.254.100
In the browser, use this URL, using the camera IP address :
http://<camera_IP_address>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

This should extract a configuration file.
Zip it up and attach here, and it can be decrypted and decoded to extract the camera password, which should be the same as that of the NVR.
Thank you, I will try this tonight and upload the file. I just can't take trying the same thing over and over with Annke's support.

bigalsj

n3wb
Reaction score
Finally got passed the password reset. Not struggling to update firmware. I just posted a new thread for my latest issue.