Hikvision NVR Harddrive

Albert P

n3wb
Reaction score
What hard drive does everyone recommend? I am entertaining the Western Digital Blue or Green drives. I am unsure how the NVR works, does it keep the drives spinning constantly, or does it only spin up the drives when it senses motion and records? Obviously if I was recording 24/7 I would go with something like RED NAS drives but if I will be recording only during motion, I don't find the need for spending hundreds on better HDs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Western digital purple, they are designed for NVR's...dont use green drives in NVR's

Albert P

n3wb
Reaction score
My understanding is that the PURPLE drives are no different than the GREEN drives except the "firmware" that "optimizes" the hard drive for 24/7 surveillance. Only difference is support for better cache. Since I will be using this only to record motion, I am kind of skeptical about using more expensive drives. I understand using RED drives in a NAS (in my FreeNas setup) but GREEN drives are equally effective when the NAS software adapts to the different spin rate of the drive.

Anyone use GREEN drives and have issues? I understand using the specific application drives in case of a failure (better be safe than sorry) but I also plan on backing up every week's footage on my NAS with ZFS redundancy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are threads about problems with green drives in nvr's...the difference between green and purple is more than firmware, however, even if it is the firmware, that alone is worth the upgrade...you can use red if you want to..or black or whatever, just stay away from the green drives...the pricing for all these drives is a few dollars apart...its not worth saving a few dollars for a headache in the future..the purple also has a 3 year warranty over the green which is only two...

Albert P

n3wb
Reaction score
Perfect. Thank you! I wanted to make sure there is a difference between these and not only a marketing difference. Looking online, I failed to notice they're only $10 difference...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perfect. Thank you! I wanted to make sure there is a difference between these and not only a marketing difference. Looking online, I failed to notice they're only $10 difference...
No problem...