Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2 _ Issues with adding cameras

shocktube

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to add cameras to this NVR I just got and here's my situation. I've had the cameras set up for a while and have no problem accessing them inside or outside my home network. I have the NVR plugged into the network and have no problem accessing it from another computer through its IP address and I have no problem accessing the NVR through its monitor/mouse setup. When I log into the NVR I can also see the network cameras listed below the 8 camera positions as shown in the image. They show a green plus sign in the status column.

Things were going good up to this point but I can't figure out any way to successfully add those cameras. The manual had a couple different ways of adding them and non seem to work. I can add the cameras into the 8 positions as shown in the image but the NVR won't connect to them. The only strange thing I notice is that when I select to edit a camera in the Camera Management screen through the monitor/mouse connection, it will fill in the password with asterisks when I enter it but when I select Ok it will not connect to the camera. When I come back to that screen the password field is empty again. On the other hand when I enter the same edit screen when logged into the NVR from another computer the password screen always has six asterisks in it. My password has 12 characters. When I fill in the password and select enter it does not connect to the camera and if I go back to that screen the password field is again filled in with six asterisks. Obviously there's an inconsistency in their UI's but I'm left wondering if it saved the password I entered or not. The only thing so far about this NVR that is a little confusing to me is their use of the terms "Management Port" and "Server Port". But with that said, I've tried every combination of port number in there with negative results. Are there gremlins in the system or am I missing something?

IMG_0385.JPG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing - as you have not explicitly said, though your screenshot implies it - that you have a 7608NI-E2/8P NVR In other words, 8 channels with 8 PoE ports.
And you are trying to add LAN-connected cameras.
The 8 PoE channels are pre-configured and in the web GUI you are not able to 'Add' or 'Delete' any of the channels - they are fixed.
The way to add the LAN-connected cameras via the web GUI is to select one of the channels that you are not using, change the mode to 'Manual' instead of 'Plug and Play'.
Set the IP address to that of the camera you are trying to connect, set the UserID and password, leave the Port=8000 and Protocol=Hikvision and click OK.
Check in Live View that the camera is connected.

shocktube

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I got them working. The method you described was the one I used to add the first two, only I did it through the monitor/mouse connection. You did get me to look in the right area in the web GUI though. the cameras that I am adding right now are foscam and dahua so when I didn't see them in the protocol dropdown I selected ipcam. When I looked over the choices again I saw onvif and selected that one. After that they came up in live view.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there!
If you have cameras where the ONVIF selection doesn't work either at all or properly, another option may be to use 'Custom protocol' to add as a generic RTSP. Most cameras should do that. You just need to know the 'RTSP string'.