Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI E2/8P/A and camera configuration issue

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

So I think this is a weird one, hopefully somebody may be able to shed some light as to what is going on.

I have the above NVR, 4 cameras of various guises configured and working via the ONVIF and Hikvision protocols. All fine.

I had two (oldish) Trendnet cameras lying around which were flashed using the Hikvision firmwares. The TVIP311PI & TVIP310PI
Both flashed without issues. Here is where it gets weird.

When connecting the 311 & 310 cams to my home network POE switch, I am able to access them using the SADP to configure IP and then subsequently access
them via IE and the web GUI. They give me Live view, I can ping the IP address... everything works.

When I connect the 310/311 to the NVR POE ports, the cameras show up as drawing POE power and connected, but configuring them is impossible via Hikvision or ONVIF.
Just doesn't work.

So I connected my PC up to the NVR port and configured the IP to allow me to see what is going on, on the CCTV camera side of things. I see all my other cameras, they
are accessible via ONVIF... i can ping the NVR GW itself as well as the individual cams - no problems.

THe 310/311 however are not there? Pings to the previously set IP result in 'unreachable' ?!??!?!?!
EVen running the SADP tool the 310/311 do not appear?! (the other cams do!).

I switch the cams back to my network POE and they appear on SADP??

So - in a nutshell - the 310/311 cams, when connected to Hikvision NVR go invisible (even to SADP), although they show up as connected and drawing power on POE status.
You switch them back to my general network POE switch, they appear and are accessible via IP, Web Gui and work as normal.
So essentially I just cannot get them to be seen on my NVR!? The fact that SADP isn't even seeing them?!?

What is going on, someone please help?!
thanking you

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When I connect the 310/311 to the NVR POE ports, the cameras show up as drawing POE power and connected, but configuring them is impossible via Hikvision or ONVIF.
Just doesn't work.
Did you set the camera IP addresses to match the addresses defined for the specific NVR PoE ports, and did you set those ports to Manual instead of Plug&Play?

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you set the camera IP addresses to match the addresses defined for the specific NVR PoE ports, and did you set those ports to Manual instead of Plug&Play?
thanks for your reply Alastair.

because I have my PC connected to the POE cctv port of the NVR with the PC network adapter manually configured using that IP address range (it's pretending to be a CCTV cam this way and gives me access to 'that side' of the network able to connect and see all the cams connected to the NVR network)...

the problem I am having is on a much lower network level than the camera config page of the NVR. I started fiddling arounbd like this because I just couldn't
get the NVR to see these two cams (using any protocol). They receive power via POE, but that's about it.

The IP routing doesn't work to the Trendnet 310/311 on the NVR. I have tried via Ping from the PC. Destination host unreachable. But the Port is drawing POE power, so the NVR recognizes that a POE device is connected to it.
SADP tool sees other connected cams - but not the Trendnet 310/311?

I literally unplug the 310/311 and pluyg into my normal ZyXel 24 port network POE switch, and the cameras appear using SADP tool (with the preset NVR IP address range I have set for them (ie. 192.168.254.xxx)

Using SADP I change the IP address on the 310/311 to my network IP range (192.168.0.xx) and the Ping works and I am able to access Liveview and config pages using IE. So the IP routing/stacks work on my 'normal' network.

I initially thought the NVR POE ports may be duff, but they are not. I plug my PC into each one and I get connectivity.

So - is it possible, in any way shape or form, thgat the HikVision NVR realizes I have done the dirties and flashed some Trendnet 310/311 cams with the Hikvision firmware, and is somehow blocking them for use with the NVR? I know this seems unplausible, but atm I have no other explanation why they appear
to go 'comms dead' when connecting to the NVR side of the network.

for all intents and purposes, if I were to use the 310/311 on my normal network, they would work fine and as intended.
when i plug them into the NVR (just like I've done with my other cams) - the network side on them stops working and I can't even ping them.

this is really puzzling me.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
this is really puzzling me.
And me also. It's a bit odd, especially that SADP doesn't see them on the NVR PoE ports.
Hikvision won't have done anything mysterious down at the network level, it's more likely that the Trendnet cameras on the NVR PoE ports are not powering up correctly, despite apparently drawing presumably normal power.
You could confirm that by using wireshark to check for the broadcasts from a camera at power on, compare with the others at power on.

I literally unplug the 310/311 and pluyg into my normal ZyXel 24 port network POE switch, and the cameras appear using SADP tool (with the preset NVR IP address range I have set for them (ie. 192.168.254.xxx)
As another experiment - and maybe as a fix if the switch is a normal fixture on the LAN, and the wiring is possible :
Set the cameras to a valid IP address for the LAN, outside the DHCP pool.
In the NVR web GUI, change the unused channels you'd like the cameras to appear on to Manual instead of Plug&Play and set the IP address to match what you set on the cameras.
See if the cameras connect.

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
And me also. It's a bit odd, especially that SADP doesn't see them on the NVR PoE ports.
well this is the weird thing absolutely. can the wiring on the cam plugs be affecting 'visibility' on the NVR. Ie is a twisted pair incorrectly wired for the NVR to be able to communicate with it? But the Zyxel can? very odd.

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision won't have done anything mysterious down at the network level, it's more likely that the Trendnet cameras on the NVR PoE ports are not powering up correctly, despite apparently drawing presumably normal power.
they are literally next to the NVR via a 1m test flylead. I've tried different ports, different IPs... reset.... then switch back to Zyxcel and it works.

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
As another experiment - and maybe as a fix if the switch is a normal fixture on the LAN, and the wiring is possible :
Set the cameras to a valid IP address for the LAN, outside the DHCP pool.
In the NVR web GUI, change the unused channels you'd like the cameras to appear on to Manual instead of Plug&Play and set the IP address to match what you set on the cameras.
See if the cameras connect.
hmmm... yes, they are 'manual' all along and not via P&P, Ill give this a go, but not sure if the different networks may be visible or accessible across the NVR gateway ... but i haven't tried this.

as for the wireshark idea, I know the cams are broadcasting ok, since they work finbe on the Zyxel switch...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
as for the wireshark idea, I know the cams are broadcasting ok, since they work finbe on the Zyxel switch...
Sure - but the only indication you have that they are operating on the NVR PoE ports is that they are drawing power.
On the face of it - they show no network activity, so may not be correctly powered.
You should see the 'UDP probe for tftp server' on power up, plus ARP packets looking for gateway and duplicate addresses.

On Hikvision NVRs, a channel can be assigned to connect to a LAN-connected camera as opposed to a NVR PoE-connected camera when the channel is configured in Manual mode.

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
On Hikvision NVRs, a channel can be assigned to connect to a LAN-connected camera as opposed to a NVR PoE-connected camera when the channel is configured in Manual mode.
interesting, I will look into this. I didn't know this. thanks,.

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
On the face of it - they show no network activity, so may not be correctly powered.
if this is the case, what do i do about it then? since they work as intended on the Zyxel switch.
Would then have to assume the NVR POE hub is somewhat 'dumber' than the Zyxel one... in that a wiring issue on the plug is causing the issue?
This is where it gets odd then. How weird.

nostrawag

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure - but the only indication you have that they are operating on the NVR PoE ports is that they are drawing power.
ok. I have found the problem!

I didn't mention earlier (sorry didn't think it was completely relevant) that I had to fix the RJ45 plugs on both Trendnet 310/311 cams. They had some water damage/corrosion, so cut the old female jacks off quite a while ago (2-3 years?!) and attached new male rj45s.

When I took the old plugs off I realized the color coding on the Trendnet cable was different and didn't correspond to the standard T568A/B coding.
I had emailed Trendnet support and they sent me the wiring scheme key.

Since then, the cameras have not been used with the Hikvision NVR because I couldn't get them to work. Now, I know why.

The Trendnet wiring (as sent to me by support at the time) I had was:
1:eek:range
2: yellow
3: green
4: blue
5: purple
6: grey
7: brown
8: white

Today, I found this link on this site, with a fellow user having similar issues:

The Hikvision compatible wiring is:
1: orange
2: yellow
3: green
4: Purple
5: grey
6: blue
7: brown
8: white

Having just rewired the RJ45 on both Trendnet 310/311PI cams, they now both talk to the Hikvision NVR and I can access them via the NVR using the Hikvision protocols.

The puzzling thing still, I guess, is that the cams worked completely normal connected to my Zyxel POE LAN hub, using the Trendnet (incorrect?) wiring.

But this was the end solution to my issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Would then have to assume the NVR POE hub is somewhat 'dumber' than the Zyxel one... in that a wiring issue on the plug is causing the issue?
Not so much 'dumber' but supports different PoE modes.
PoE can be provided over the 10/100Mbps data pairs, or over the gigabit data pairs.
In that respect, the NVR and switch are different.