Hikvision ip camera & Wd mycloud nas drive

lee337a

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 Hikvision ip cameras and a 2tb western digital mycloud nas hard drive. Is there a way I can record on this particular nas drive and only designate 1tb for the cameras and the other for personal stuff. I am new with using ip cameras and nas drives so any information how to make this work
Is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's down to how the WD MyCloud NAS works in terms of provisioned size of shares, or user quotas.
From what I can see of the NAS user manual - you don't really have any options there, no share sizes, no user quotas.
The only option I could see was to connect an external USB drive.

If you're comfortable with Linux command-line skills there is something to try, success will depend on how limited or not the environment is, and I have no idea what the WD MyCloud supports so this is descriptive only:
Create a large empty file with such as dd, format it as a file system, ext3 or ext2, mount it as a share.
If this was to work - you are in effect reserving a defined size of storage and offering it as a share to which devices such as cameras could connect.

Hopefully others may comment.

MaxIcon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just installed a MyCloud EX2 (8TB) yesterday, and it lets you set both group and user quotas. I haven't done this, as it's just set up as a simple share and is still in testing, but the device help has info on setting it up.

It may depend on what version of firmware you're running and how old your hardware is. I upgraded mine to firmware 2.10.310 when I fired it up, which it claims is the latest, though there are references in the Amazon reviews to version 3; mine doesn't detect anything newer than what it's got.