Hikvision IP Camera external email works, local email not?l

MrDIY

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi community. First post.

Have a Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I connected to local router.
Other items connected to router is PC, Raspberry PI and Internet modem.

Raspberry Pi configured as a local email server.
IP Camera sends email notification with photos to Raspberry Pi when movement detected.

The above setup works just fine when (and only when) the internet modem is ON. Even thought the IP Camera is setup to send to local email server, it will only do so if internet is available.
Cant find any setting to make this work without an internet connection. With internet off, I am able to telnet snmp mail from PC to PI without problem.

It would appear that the IP Camera is trying to access the internet prior to sending a local email. Failure to connect to some "foreign" site is then causing a block on sending internal or local mail.

Any ideas?

Brian

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How are you addressing the Pi mail server in the camera, IP address or fully-qualified-domain-name? The latter I suspect.
And what are the DNS settings in the camera network config?
I'm wondering if your internet modem is the source of name resolution for the camera, but not needed for the PC, where other local name resolution methods such as NetBIOS name server and broadcasts etc will be in play, unlike in the embedded Linux of the camera.

MrDIY

n3wb
Reaction score
First my knowledge of networking principles is dangourous at best ...

Under SENDER
Sender: IPcamera
Sender address: jasper@mail.core.org (arbitrary name, but yes .. FQDN)

SMTP Server is: 192.168.0.101 (Ip address of PI)
SMTP port: 25

Under RECIEVER
Receiver1: fodo
Receiver1 address: fodo@mail.core.org

DNS Server: did have 8.8.8.8 (removed that to experiment – so nothing for DNS at present)
Even with nothing as DNS, I recall it did work when internet connected.

Thanx