hikvision install

lapse

n3wb
Reaction score
Aliexpress had a DS-7604NI-SE/P with 4 DS-2CD2032-I cameras for $580US a couple of months ago, so I picked one up. Shipped to Toronto in approximately 1.5 weeks. In hindsight, I should have gone for the 8 port because I felt the need for more cameras after completing my install.

There's nothing special about my install that hasn't been repeated on the forum already. I scoured Home Depot, Rona and Lowes for the cheapest in PVC conduit. Home Depot won out by pennies.

Notes about my install: I live in a 100 year old semi-detached house. NVR is installed in the basement. Interior walls are plastered with some lattice and metal mesh underneath, so a "hidden cable" install wasn't in the cards for me. I ran a mixture of 1/2" and 3/4" PVC along the side of my house. 1/2" if there was only one wire, 3/4" if there was more than one. The PVC conduit that serves as the trunk is 1".

This is the foot long 1" masonry bit that I used to drill through the brick in the basement.

Photo 2014-08-19, 1 51 39 PM.jpg

It wasn't quite long enough, so I had to run back to Home Depot and purchase a 18" bit to drill a pilot hole through both sides of the wall:

Photo 2014-08-19, 11 31 23 AM.jpg

Dry fit of the 1" access fitting:
Photo 2014-08-19, 1 51 49 PM.jpg

The trunk conduit runs up about 11 feet. I was considering using metal conduit for the trunk but figured a person interested in cutting the cables would be caught on video long before they finished cutting through PVC.

Photo 2014-08-19, 2 35 06 PM.jpg

This is the front porch camera mounted on a junction box as per usual install instructions found on this forum:

Photo 2014-08-20, 4 48 31 PM.jpg

This is the camera covering the side door aiming toward the front of the house. Note the 45 degree elbow in the background to go over hydro trunk (more on this below):

Photo 2014-08-20, 12 18 23 PM.jpg

This is my tree install overlooking my parking pad. Again, it's nothing special, but I don't recall seeing anyone installing on a tree before. I used a zip-tie to make a drip loop but over time the tension on the wire (squirrels, birds, etc..) has made the loop fairly taught. I'll need to revisit it in the future.

Photo 2014-10-10, 4 14 40 PM.jpg

This is the camera overseeing the backyard (the tree mount is to my left and behind in this picture). Note the 45 degree elbow on top of the junction box. This is used to run the overhanging wire to the tree mounted camera.

Photo 2014-10-10, 4 14 59 PM.jpg

Hindsight/post-install regrets:

1. I want more cameras! I should have totally gotten an 8 porter.
2. My drip loops are terrible.
3. I used 45 degree elbows to make some obtuse corners and hop over my hydro trunk line. This made fishing wires exceedingly hard even with a fishing tape. Adding more access points would have made the job easier, but I was cheap and determined.
4. I used a 90 degree elbow at the rear of the house. I should have used a 90 degree elbow with access panel (i.e., a true 90) like I did in the front. Again, cheap and determined since the junction box was only a few inches away. As you can see the last shot, the curved elbow is a bit ugly.

All four cameras run with motion sensing 24/7 and record to a 4TB HD. The system has been installed for about a month and a half now without any problems except for spider webs. Other than raccoons humping in my backyard, they've caught kids climbing garages at night perving on neighbours, a contractor down the street stealing gravel stones from a neighbour's driveway, tree falling on my lawn, anonymous strangers peeing in the alley, and the UPS delivery man with my iPhone 6 not bothering to ring my doorbell.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mind if I ask which vendor you used on Aliexpress?

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks good. I think it's common to install cameras and then want more. I'm not aware of any of my neighbors having any cameras at all and yet the two I have seem like not enough ;)

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good, thanks for sharing your installation pictures :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL yeah you always want more. I started with a 4-cam analog dvr kit (which was replaced ages ago) and now have 20 cams that I view regularly. I move or replace a cam from time to time but always try to keep it at 20 as that makes good use of available screen space.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
very nice, thanks for sharing..

in the future I would try to stick with EMT Conduit over PVC, PVC in direct sunlight gets saggy over time on horizontal runs... and EMT Conduit can be used as a proper ground for your cameras, giving you some protection from ESD... PVC Conduit is best used for burial or indoors... EMT can also be painted which helps it blend in with its surroundings.

*edit*
Here is a photo of some old conduit on the south side of my house, was installed by a previous owner ~20 years ago.. compared to my EMT conduit I did a few years back.
I need to replace the PVC, just havent gotten to it.

Attachments

lapse

n3wb
Reaction score
Mind if I ask which vendor you used on Aliexpress?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/202753

- - - Updated - - -

very nice, thanks for sharing..

in the future I would try to stick with EMT Conduit over PVC, PVC in direct sunlight gets saggy over time on horizontal runs... and EMT Conduit can be used as a proper ground for your cameras, giving you some protection from ESD... PVC Conduit is best used for burial or indoors... EMT can also be painted which helps it blend in with its surroundings.

*edit*
Here is a photo of some old conduit on the south side of my house, was installed by a previous owner ~20 years ago.. compared to my EMT conduit I did a few years back.
I need to replace the PVC, just havent gotten to it.
Wow, that's some crazy sag. The PVC is on the south facing side of my house so it's never in direct sun light. I'll have to keep EMT in mind next time I do this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Or you could be like me and just string the cat6 along without conduit and years later come back and put cable loom around the most exposed bits.

jkajfes

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wow thanks for attaching the photo... I'd never thought it could deform that much... amazing! I guess you guys get to see it all and then some.