hikvision firefox "your browser is not supported"

msmcknight

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just upgraded one of my cameras via tftp from firmware 5.5.5 to 5.5.83 and as soon as I tried to login to it, I got the following error:

1.JPG
The url jumps to ().

I know the live-view plugin doesn't work with firefox, but I've always been able to configure my cameras core settings using firefox. I didn't see any mention of this in the release notes, and I've not been able to find anything else about it in google.

I was able to use the "User-Agent Switcher by Lunder" add-on to trick it into thinking I'm using IE, but I won't have that option on every device I might use. As best as I can tell, this is an intentional act -- ie. the camera is checking for browser user-agent strings and only allows IE and Safari.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas out there on how to get around it without having to trick it?

Thank you,
-Michael

saniaowner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello
In older versions of the firmware, you could use any browser to go to the camera settings, in the new Hikvision introduced restrictions, and now you need to use Internet Explorer. Alternatively, you can use the Batch Configuration Tool to quickly configure the camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I just upgraded one of my cameras via tftp from firmware 5.5.5 to 5.5.83
Isn't that where the transition to using websocket / websockets occurs to remove the need to use IE11 and the webcomponents plugin?
Which would require the browser to support it, which most current browsers (excluding IE11) do.
Current Firefox works OK with that firmware version.

In Firefox, use about:config in the address bar, search for websocket and see if it's available and enabled.

msmcknight

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Where are these kinds of changes documented? It would be nice to know what's in a firmware release before applying it. I see the release notes on some version, but I've not seen any mention of things like "disabling firefox" or "bricking chinese cameras with US firmware." No one seems to know about these things until they apply the firmware and things break!

Grrrr!

msmcknight

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson - I'm using Firefox 72.0.2 (64bit Windows) and I think websockets are enabled. I may not understand what you are asking, but the error I was getting would only allow IE to connect. Basically it was requiring IE11, not excluding it.

When I look at about:config and search for websocket, here's what I see:
1.JPG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When I look at about:config and search for websocket, here's what I see:
That matches what I see in V75.0 (Linux) - your websocket settings and availability look OK.
I need to spin up Windows and see if I can get the same problem as you are seeing.
And maybe others can also comment.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to spin up Windows and see if I can get the same problem as you are seeing.
OK, so I started up Windows and installed Firefox V75.0 64bit and browsed to a DS-2CD2385G1-I running the 5.5.83 firmware and it worked OK - nothing about plugins or upgrading came up.
I downgraded Firefox to V72.02 64bit and browser access to the camera still worked OK.
So I didn't manage to replicate what you are seeing.

Reaction score
I can confirm the same behavior on two DS-2CD2342FWD-I cameras, after the upgrade to 5.5.82 only IE is accepted. My DS-2CD2385FWD-I don't have this issue with 5.5.83, so seems to be limited to certain camera series?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's an interesting observation.
It does sound like Hikvision have some work to do in fixing some bugs.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you try clearing cookies and/or browser cache?
may not help if Hik really broke something here, but worth a try...

Reaction score
Ok...after I settled down a bit I got to a working state.

I have a windows box and was able to log in using IE (not Microsoft Edge).

Irritatingly, I had to remember how to add a virtual interface to my windows box.

Then I had to enable some webcomponent thing to download firmware version 5.5.53. (The camera was running fw 5.5.82)

I had to unzip ipc_en_std_5.5.53_1807302x12fwd_2x22fwd_2x42fwd_2x52f.zip, and manually enter the digicap.dav file into the box, as for some reason the file selection was not working.

After download, reboot I was able to re-access the camera for setup mode using firefox on linux.

All my cameras are accessible using the same method, so having an exception for this one camera was not going to fly and was on it's way to be returned. But I'll keep it now.

Reaction score
One last thing: Make sure to reset to defaults after the firmware flash...otherwise the device will re-enter setup mode after every power cycle.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm on Windows 10 1909 and have 2 x 2142FWD-IS 5.5.82 190909 and no browsers can access them, even the inbuilt ie11 on edge or the ietab add on

alastairstevenson
Suggested the batch tool and I was able to use that to make the change I needed

But the lack of access just bugs me, and I have tried bravo pale moon and a few others with no joy

I did try to drop back one firmware release, but that did nothing either.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on Windows 10 1909 and have 2 x 2142FWD-IS 5.5.82 190909 and no browsers can access them, even the inbuilt ie11 on edge or the ietab add on
But the lack of access just bugs me, and I have tried bravo pale moon and a few others with no joy
It is a bit odd, and unresolved.

If you're up for trying some things you've probably already tried :
Does ONVIF Device Manager find the cameras? It's using HTTP to communicate.

At a command prompt, assuming telnet is enabled on your Windows PC :
telnet <camera_IP_address> 80
GET / HTTP/1.1

and press Return a couple of times.
Maybe for convenience have the GET / HTTP/1.1 in the clipboard so it can just be pasted.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is a bit odd, and unresolved.

If you're up for trying some things you've probably already tried :
Does ONVIF Device Manager find the cameras? It's using HTTP to communicate. Yes it does

At a command prompt, assuming telnet is enabled on your Windows PC : Yes it is
telnet <camera_IP_address> 80
GET / HTTP/1.1

and press Return a couple of times.
Maybe for convenience have the GET / HTTP/1.1 in the clipboard so it can just be pasted.
I have attached the output from the working and non working units and the onvif screen

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the problem camera has a running webserver on port 80, and gives the same result in response to the GET / as the working camera, as you have seen.
Notice though that the system responds as 'webserver' on the problem camera.
That's a clue it's been customised.

From your earlier screenshot, it looks like it's (presumably deliberate) that the content of /doc/page/login.asp isn't as you'd expect.
I suspect the camera is running custom firmware that has deliberately crippled the web responses.

But to see how far it's gone - maybe try pasting these URLs in to the browser :

Also - you will be able to inspect what the camera is providing for login.asp if you put the camera IP address in the browser, press F12 in the browser, trim the URL back to just the IP address and press Return.
Then you can see the response headers, and the response body content / payload.