HikVision DS-7616NI-K2 POE to 2nd POE switch support

Reaction score
Has anyone tried, or had success connecting Ethernet cable from the NVR's POE switch to an extenal POE Switch AND got multiple IP Cameras to come online?

I can get one camera to connect, but any cameras beyond that do not. I'm assuming that this is because each NVR POE port can only connect 1 camera.

I'd love any input.

Thank you.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can get one camera to connect, but any cameras beyond that do not. I'm assuming that this is because each NVR POE port can only connect 1 camera.
Yes, that's my experience. The NVR PoE port has only one assigned IP address.

What's to stop you connecting the external PoE switch to the NVR LAN port, then connecting the cable that was in the NVR LAN port to an unused switch port?
Maybe that the external switch is 100BaseT and not Gigabit and bandwidth might be squeezed.

Reaction score
The POE switch is 200 feet from the NVR and I only have 3 Ethernet cables run to that building (barn).

I didn't think about connecting the cameras to the management port, is that supported?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't think about connecting the cameras to the management port, is that supported?
Yes, that would work via an external PoE switch or injector if you either untick the 'Enable PoE' for an unused channel (available on newer firmware) or change the mode of an unused channel to Manual from Plug&Play, then specify the LAN address of the camera you want to connect to that channel.
In effect you are re-assigning a channel from being connected via an NVR PoE port to being out on the LAN.

Reaction score
I got a reply from support. Posting in case it helps someone else. I will test this in the next few days and post my results also.

You will need to manually add that camera, please plug a computer into the switch that hosts the cameras, then run the SADP tool. You can activate and change the IP camera if needed. Once you have the camera on the correct IP scheme, you will then add it manually on the NVR's camera setup menu.

Here is the download link for the SADP tool:

https://www.hikvision.com/us-en/support/tools/hitools/clea8b3e4ea7da90a9/

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
According to this answer:

You should connect the POE switch to the LAN port of the NVR.
My question was regarding Dahua NVR and you have Hikivsion, so maybe i'm wrong.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can plug an external POE switch to the built in POE switch of the NVR but only one camera will plug and play. The other cameras on the switch will need to be manually added to the recorder. But do know that the built in POE ports on the recorder are 10/100 so there will be a bandwidth limitation as far as how many camera streams you will be able to add and stream video reliably. While it should be auto detecting, I would recommend going into the POE settings of the NVR and disable the POE power to the port that the external POE switch is on.