Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P & DS-2CD2142FWD-IS system setting questions

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just finished setting up my 6 camera Hikvision system and I was hoping for some guidance on best practice settings and a few other items. This setup is for a residential site, however I have a 1TB data cap (Cox sucks) so I need to make sure I keep this in mind. And I understand each answer is different based on their scenario, again mine is a personal residence.

HARDWARE:

· NVR:
Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P (Serial # has a CCRR in it, International or US?)
· IP Cams: Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 2.8MM (Serial # have BBWR, International or US?)
· Hard drive: WD 4TB Purple NAS drive
· NVR Network: Ethernet through 8-Port Gigabit Network Switch
· Network Bandwidth: Cox Premier 150Mbps down / 10Mbps up
· Monthly Data Cap: 1 TB

FIRMWARE:

· NVR -
Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P – V. 3.4.90, Build 160926 (International or US?)
· IP Cams - Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 2.8MM – V.5.4.5, Build 170124

Below are the inquiries I had, I tried to put the inquires in a logical pattern
  • Question > Ideal Setup > Current setup > Your Suggestion

1. Question: Best Recording Setup (Continuous Recording [CR] vs. Motion Detection [MD]):

Ideal Setup:
I want to setup my video recordings to only record when there is motion detection/events (line crossing), I don’t need hours of uneventful video filling up my HD. But I want to make sure I capture pre/post detection by at least 10 to 30 seconds.

Current Setup: Set all cameras to Motion Detection and adjusted pre/post record to 20 secs for all.

2. Question: Best practice resolution & FPS (4MP @ 20FPS vs. 1080P @ 30FPS):

Ideal Setup:
Have the best quality video while using the HDD space efficiently to have desired retention days.

Current Setup: 4MP @ 20FPS (2688 x 1520) with a date expiry date of 21 days

3. Question: Should I be using the camera’s Dual Stream, Zero Channel or Transcode Stream to help with bandwidth?

Ideal Setup:
Using the cameras tools to decrease bandwidth while still maintaining quality.

Current Setup: All cameras are using the main stream on platforms, no other items activated.

4. Question: Best Practice for Security:

Ideal Setup:
Have remote access while still maintaining a locked down environment to prevent unauthorized access or issues that occurred with Hikvision cams last year.

Current Setup: I have changed all passwords on both the NVR & individual cameras to a complex password. I have also hardwired the NVR, so there is no WIFI access/setup. I can access via Hik-connect and iVMS-4500 when outside of network. I also have the default protocol remaining on the NVR (Plug & Play), just plugged the PoE cameras in and everything was auto-detected.

5. Question: How can I change the camera names on all platforms?

Ideal Setup:
All cameras will have the same name on all platforms.

Current Setup: I have changed the names on everything that will allow me; however I notice that I still get “IP Camera 1, IP Camera 2 etc..) on a lot of the dropdowns in both the browser & NVR platform.

6. Question: Which app/platform should I be using to make configurations/maintenance? There seems to be a number of platforms with different depths of configuration.

Ideal Setup:
I would like a single platform that would provide me all of the configuration abilities of the NVR platform and work across the following: Windows PC, Chromebook, and an Android Phone.

Current Setup: I am currently using the NVR platform (for detailed configuration), iVMS-4200 (on Windows PC), Browser platform (on Chromebook since video doesn’t work), and both iVMS-4500 & Hik-connect app on my android).

7. Question: Accessing NVR outside of LAN network

Ideal Setup:
I would like to be able to access the NVR/cameras anywhere I am outside of the local network.

Current Setup: I currently can only access via Hikvision apps when away from the house. I am guessing I will have to disable items and setup my router for port forwarding?

8. Question: Firmware upgrades and correct site to download from Europe or USA?

Ideal Setup:
Know with confidence that I can grab the firmware from only one website going forward for all of my hardware.

Current Setup: Not sure if I have International or US hardware/firmware. Firmware info found in beginning of post.

9. Question: Should I enable the encryption streams options?

Ideal Setup: Keep streams as secure as possible while retaining ease of use.

Current Setup:
No encryption settings activated.

Last edited: