HikVision DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) + TP-Link TL-WA801ND + Netgear Nighthawk R7000 - Device Status Offline?

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
Edit: The issue was finally resolved! Only thanks to the help of the brilliant and kind TonyR. It was because partially the Ethernet wasn’t plugged in the right port, yeah….
But it wouldn’t have worked either way if not configured properly, which Tony helped tremendously with; read through the post and look at how to troubleshoot and configure it. Good luck!
Edit fin.

Hi all,

My NVR is the HikVision DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) , I have a TP-Link TL-WA801ND connected via ethernet to the NVR acting as a client, the TP link is connected to my 2.4Ghz band of my wifi, the wifi internet is provided by the Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

No matter what I do however, such as enabling DHCP in the NVR, in SADP, is working, the NVR still says connection status offline and thus I cannot get hikconnect to function.

Perhaps this is a port forwarding issue here?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not a port forwarding issue, IMO.

Assuming the NVR has a unique static IP in the same subnet as the router, in the TP-LINK set it to client mode and insure that DHCP is disabled, assign it a unique static IP in the same subnet as the router, and have it slaved to the SSID (Wi-Fi name) of the Nighthawk. Also insure that the NVR's LAN port is connected to the LAN port of the TP-LINK, not the WAN ("Internet") port.

Choose those unique IP's for the NVR's LAN and the TP-LINK's LAN from those that are OUTSIDE the Nighthawk's DHCP pool. In other words, if the Nighthawk's LAN is 192.168.0.1 and it's DHCP pool that it uses to assign IP's to DHCP devices in the LAN are 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99, then use 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200 for your static devices.

Basically all those devices, the NVR, the TP-LINK and the Nighthawk all must be on the same LAN subnet for the TP-LINK's client mode to work; theoretically, if the TP-LINK and the Nighthawk are configured correctly and "talking", then even if the NVR's LAN is set to DHCP it should receive an IP from the Nighthawk.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming the NVR has a unique static IP in the same subnet as the router

Hi, thank you so much for the reply :) In the line I quoted, what do you mean by this; how would I be able to check it? Also the TP-LINK is currently set to client mode but DHCP is enabled so I'll disable it now, "assign it a unique static ip in the same subnet as the router and have it slaved" what do you mean by this? Will check that it's connected to the same port now too. Thank you!

Edit 1: The TP-Link ethernet cable is connected to the correct port.

Edit 2: Thank you for the welcome too

Edit 3: Ok, so far I have disabled DHCP on the TP-Link, given it a unique static ip outside of the Nighthawk's DHCP pool. What should I do next?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"assign it a unique static ip in the same subnet as the router and have it slaved" what do you mean by this?
I tried running the emulator under the TP-LINK's site for support but it would not clarify it for me so i could better advise you but I think after it's set to "client" mode you go to "network"=> "wireless", have it scan for the name of the wireless signal coming from the Nighthawk and tell it to lock onto that signal, it'll likely ask for the Wi-Fi password, then say "OK" and/or "save" which you already know. This tells the TP-link to connect to the Nighthawk.

EDIT: how is the NVR's LAN configured?

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried running the emulator under the TP-LINK's site for support but it would not clarify it for me so i could better advise you but I think after it's set to "client" mode you go to "network"=> "wireless", have it scan for the name of the wireless signal coming from the Nighthawk and tell it to lock onto that signal, it'll likely ask for the Wi-Fi password, then say "OK" and/or "save" which you already know. This tells the TP-link to connect to the Nighthawk.

EDIT: how is the NVR's LAN configured?
I had slaved the TP-Link to the Netgear wifi from the beginning, so that had been done. In which way do you mean how is my NVR's LAN configured (i am so sorry for the most definitely stupid questions)

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
Great!

Is the NVR's LAN either set for DHCP or assigned a static IP in the same subnet as the TP-LINK and Nighthawk AND outside the Nighthawk's DHCP pool?
The NVR is set for DHCP however assigns the IP 169.254.255.254 which means something is off hey?
Also, after assigning the TP-Link a static IP and disabling DHCP, I am unable to return to the TP-Link configuration screen no matter what IP I try (be it the new or old one). If I connect the TP-Links ethernet into my computer, it thinks it is my Netgear internet?

Edit: just pressed the reset at the back of the TP-Link and re-configured it again assigning it a static IP with DHCP disabled. Connected back now to the NVR and DHCP enabled still gives me the 169 IP.. hmmm

Last edited:

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a port forwarding issue, IMO.

Assuming the NVR has a unique static IP in the same subnet as the router, in the TP-LINK set it to client mode and insure that DHCP is disabled, assign it a unique static IP in the same subnet as the router, and have it slaved to the SSID (Wi-Fi name) of the Nighthawk. Also insure that the NVR's LAN port is connected to the LAN port of the TP-LINK, not the WAN ("Internet") port.

Choose those unique IP's for the NVR's LAN and the TP-LINK's LAN from those that are OUTSIDE the Nighthawk's DHCP pool. In other words, if the Nighthawk's LAN is 192.168.0.1 and it's DHCP pool that it uses to assign IP's to DHCP devices in the LAN are 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99, then use 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200 for your static devices.

Basically all those devices, the NVR, the TP-LINK and the Nighthawk all must be on the same LAN subnet for the TP-LINK's client mode to work; theoretically, if the TP-LINK and the Nighthawk are configured correctly and "talking", then even if the NVR's LAN is set to DHCP it should receive an IP from the Nighthawk.

My current situation now: The TP-Link is configured as a client with a static IP address, I have this IP set as the IPv4 default gateway in the NVR settings. For the IPv4 I have an Ip that is outside of the DHCP pool assigned by my Netgear router. Where should I go from here?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My current situation now: The TP-Link is configured as a client with a static IP address, I have this IP set as the IPv4 default gateway in the NVR settings. For the IPv4 I have an Ip that is outside of the DHCP pool assigned by my Netgear router. Where should I go from here?
The default gateway in the NVR should be the same as the LAN IP of the Nighthawk, as it is the Internet access. All subnet masks should be 255.255.255.0

BTW, these are all private IP's we're talking about so you can post them without worry; it's the WAN IP you should not disclose. My Blue Iris server is 192.168.1.239, this PC I'm on is 192.168.1.69, my AT&T modem/router is 192.168.1.254.

What are the LAN IP's of:
  • The NVR:
  • The TP-LINK client:
  • The Nighthawk router:
  • Your PC:

Last edited:

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
The default gateway in the NVR should be the same as the LAN IP of the Nighthawk, as it is the Internet access. All subnet masks should be 255.255.255.0

BTW, these are all private IP's we're talking so you can post them without worry; it's WAN IP you should not disclose. My Blue Iris server is 192.168.1.239, this PC I'm on is 192.168.1.69, my AT&T modem/router is 192.168.1.254.

• The NVR:
  • The TP-LINK client:
  • The Nighthawk router:
  • Your PC:
Ah I see. I feel like we’re getting so close now! I’ll be home from work in about 8ish hours and I’ll check and reply with the info. Thank you so much for helping me through this you know a lot about this stuff.

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score

BTW, these are all private IP's we're talking about so you can post them without worry; it's the WAN IP you should not disclose. My Blue Iris server is 192.168.1.239, this PC I'm on is 192.168.1.69, my AT&T modem/router is 192.168.1.254.

• The NVR:
  • The TP-LINK client:
  • The Nighthawk router:
  • Your PC:
I checked now, the Nighthawk router LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
I just set the NVR IPv4 default gateway to the same.
The TP-LINK client is 192.168.1.16
My pc's one is 192.168.1.5

Where should I go from here and which settings should I tweak? Also I just saw your tagline that you were a Vietnam vet, thank you for your service my friend.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also I just saw your tagline that you were a Vietnam vet, thank you for your service my friend.
Thank you...I still recall in 1972 the hospitality your countrymen showed me and another serviceman when we passed though Sydney on R & R before coming back to the states. I'll never forget how well we were treated there.

I checked now, the Nighthawk router LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
I just set the NVR IPv4 default gateway to the same.
The TP-LINK client is 192.168.1.16
My pc's one is 192.168.1.5

Where should I go from here and which settings should I tweak?
What about the NVR's IP?

From the PC, open a command prompt window and ping each one of those IP's and report the results.
  • Start with the Nighthawk router at 192.168.1.1
  • Then the TP-LINK at 192.168.1.16
  • Then the NVR at ??? That 169.254.255.254 IP means that the NVR is NOT "seeing" the router to get its IP
Insure that the TP-LINK is still set up as 'client' and that is set to log onto the Netgear's SSID.

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
I still recall in 1972 the hospitality your countrymen showed me and another serviceman when we passed though Sydney
Ah wow, that actually makes me very happy to hear; I'm very glad :))

• Start with the Nighthawk router at 192.168.1.1
  • Then the TP-LINK at 192.168.1.16
After pinging both they gave back similar results. The netgear ip presented with: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms.
And the TP-Link had 1,1,1.

As for the NVR IP, I went on the SADP tool and clicked on the device, when pinging it however it gave me the message "Destination net unreachable"

Would it be helpful if I posted a screenshot of my current Network settings on the Hikvision and the settings shown in SADP?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems the NVR is not talking with the Nighthawk via the TP-LINK, so let's test that theory:

Remove your PC cable from the Nighthawk and plug into the TP-LINK.
If the TP-LINK is logged onto the SSID as it should, and your PC is 192.168.1.5 static, it should now have Internet access via the TP-LINK....does it?

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems the NVR is not talking with the Nighthawk via the TP-LINK, so let's test that theory:

Remove your PC cable from the Nighthawk and plug into the TP-LINK.
If the TP-LINK is logged onto the SSID as it should, and your PC is 192.168.1.5 static, it should now have Internet access via the TP-LINK....does it?
Yes, it does.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it does.
Good! So we know the TP-LINK's client mode works.

Then if the NVR's network config is set static EXACTLY like your PC but with a unique IP outside the router's DHCP pool then it too, should be accessible via your LAN and should "see" the Internet when the TP-LINK is moved from your PC's LAN port over to the NVR's LAN port.

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score

Then if the NVR's network config is set static EXACTLY like your PC but with a unique IP outside the router's DHCP pool then it too, should be accessible via your LAN and should "see" the Internet when the TP-LINK is moved from your PC's LAN port over to the NVR's LAN port.
The settings on my Network tab on the Hikvision are as follows:
I assigned the IPv4 address to 192.168.1.109 (my net gear DHCP pool is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.100 )
The IPv4 Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
And the IPv4 Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1 , just like my Netgear LAN IP.
The MTU(Bytes) is 1500 , and the MAC address and IPv6 Address 1 is unchangeable. The internal NIC IPv4 address can be changed but has been untampered with, it’s 128.100.x.x (don’t know if it’s safe to give this out?) and I set the Preferred DNS server to 8.8.8.8

pretty stumped on what is going wrong here? Did I mess up with one of the settings ? Thanks so much btw for your help.

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
Als

also, in the SADP tool it says the NVR IP address is 192.168.2.xx
Hmmm

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Als

also, in the SADP tool it says the NVR IP address is 192.168.2.xx
Hmmm
Therein lies the problem, IMO.....NVR on different subnet from the rest of the LAN.

If you can get the NVR LAN onto the same subnet as the rest, it should work.
Can you log into the NVR using a monitor and mouse on the NVR and change the IP that way?
If not, perhaps a hard reset of the NVR in order to config as desired?

Hermanios

n3wb
Reaction score
Therein lies the problem, IMO.....NVR on different subnet from the rest of the LAN.

If you can get the NVR LAN onto the same subnet as the rest, it should work.
Can you log into the NVR using a monitor and mouse on the NVR and change the IP that way?
If not, perhaps a hard reset of the NVR in order to config as desired?
Yes I can, that's how I configured the settings above, where would I have to go and which settings would I have to change to achieve getting the NVR LAN onto the same subnet?