Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU pixelation issue

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So have two Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU that have somewhat of an "issue", I guess. When they're configured at 8MP resolution, no matter the settings of the other Video parameters (bit rate/fps/constant or VBR), as an object moves across the field of view (like a car or person walking), the trailing area behind the object gets very pixelated in between keyframe intervals. It doesn't happen if i lower the resolution to any other setting, just happens at 8MP. It's quite annoying and unfortunately i don't have a clip, as I've just recently swapped them out for some Dahuas. I was wondering if anyone else with Hikvision 8MP cameras experiences the same thing. Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else with Hikvision 8MP cameras experiences the same thing.
I've seen zero problems of the type you've described.
And I don't recall other users mentioning this as a generic problem.

no matter the settings of the other Video parameters (bit rate/fps/constant or VBR), as an object moves across the field of view (like a car or person walking), the trailing area behind the object gets very pixelated in between keyframe intervals.
That suggests camera settings are not the cause (did you try changing noise reduction?), and something else is implicated.
I think some more info is needed in order to make helpful suggestions :

How are the cameras connected, type of cabling, type of switch, NVR PoE port, not via WiFi?
What codec is in use?
How are you viewing the video, browser (which, and spec of PC in use), NVR VGA/HDMI interface, NVR playback?
Is the same effect seen when accessing video by another method - VLC, iVMS4200, another browser etc?

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen zero problems of the type you've described.
And I don't recall other users mentioning this as a generic problem.

That suggests camera settings are not the cause (did you try changing noise reduction?), and something else is implicated.
I think some more info is needed in order to make helpful suggestions :

How are the cameras connected, type of cabling, type of switch, NVR PoE port, not via WiFi?
What codec is in use?
How are you viewing the video, browser (which, and spec of PC in use), NVR VGA/HDMI interface, NVR playback?
Is the same effect seen when accessing video by another method - VLC, iVMS4200, another browser etc?

Cameras are POE back to a 1Gb POE switch.
H264 codec.
Viewing the recordings via iOS onvif apps and local desktop browsers directly from the camera. Doesn't matter what i'm viewing it from, it's the way the camera is recording from what I can see.

I could see this being a one off problem if only ONE of the cameras was recording this way, but it's happening on both. I'm pretty knowledgeable about cameras, recording setting, etc, and I've tried every trick in the book like making sure iFrame matches FPS, using Constant Bit Rate and not VBR.. turning off any and all SMART CODEC settings, etc..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think what would be common to 2 cameras (apart from the cameras) that might give the effect you've described.
What bitrate are the cameras configured with? For h.264 and 8MP you probably need to be 10kbps or more.
You've tried various access methods, and the effect is both on live view and recordings on all methods.
I don't suppose you have another PoE switch a camera can be plugged in to?
Does the existing switch support port statistics?

ipcamuser11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same here on my G5 platform camera with that 1/1.2" sensor, it happens when light is extreme low. If there's enough light, everything is good

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to think what would be common to 2 cameras (apart from the cameras) that might give the effect you've described.
What bitrate are the cameras configured with? For h.264 and 8MP you probably need to be 10kbps or more.
You've tried various access methods, and the effect is both on live view and recordings on all methods.
I don't suppose you have another PoE switch a camera can be plugged in to?
Does the existing switch support port statistics?
I tried all kinds of bitrates from 1Mbps - 20 Mbps, same result. I seriously doubt it's the POE switch, as the pixelation is consistent with a moving object and not over the entire FOV.

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same here on my G5 platform camera with that 1/1.2" sensor, it happens when light is extreme low. If there's enough light, everything is good
Yeah, this is happening across any lighting condition. I toggled and slide every possible slider there is in the menus, but nothing made the pixelation go away.

i really am at a complete loss on this one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some field of views just exhibit that behavior more. Sometimes it is a bitrate issue/encoding/VBR instead of CBR issue, sometimes it is a noise reduction issue, and sometimes just a bad field of view. I have noticed it more on items that are close in color to the background.

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some field of views just exhibit that behavior more. Sometimes it is a bitrate issue/encoding/VBR instead of CBR issue, sometimes it is a noise reduction issue, and sometimes just a bad field of view. I have noticed it more on items that are close in color to the background.
i'm convinced it's something to do with this particular Hikvision model and how it's encoding the full resolution 8MP stream. I had a different Hikvision model and I currently have a bunch of Dahua's, that do not exhibit this. I even had Andy's Color4K-x model last summer (returned it for other financial reasons), that didn't do this.

I"ll try to connect one back up and get a sample clip in the next day or two.

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, besides the horrible glare because i have it looking out a window ONLY for this test, Here are my settings and a clip of what i'm talking about. I had to resize it to 1080 because the original 8MP file from the camera would not upload.

settings.png
View attachment example.mp4

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen similar though not as bad, on 5241 Z12's
View attachment 161787

View attachment 161788
yeah, that looks normal to me. I did just make some drastic changes by going to VBR (highest quality) @ 16 Mbps bit rate and the image is now perfect. I guess in all my testing i figured CONSTANT bitrate would be the best, but not in this case for some reason.