HIKs with strobe light and audible warning

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been reading and researching and reading. Now I need a little help from you guys.

I was going to put up lights in the eaves to help with night vision coverage. like this (not my house)
1633190257779.png

What would you guys recommend for this setup?

Should I get a ColorVu or IR camera?

This model looks promising, however, would the 130 WDR be a problem with the lights in the eaves?

DS-2cd2347g2-lsu-sl/

Features I was looking for is;
1. good resolution at night
2. line crossing (was going to use Blue Iris)
3. strobe light and audible alarm would be cool but not necessary (good resolution in both day and night + line crossing) is more important

Starstreak

n3wb
Reaction score
Is that Acusense G2?

The bullet one has louder sound. We have it set up at the moment to tell us when a person goes past. It sets off a small beep when the line is crossed. Night time quality is not bad. Perhaps look at the 2.8 - 12mm zoom one if you are going to place it high.

The microphone works well and gives a new dimension to the footage. You can have a two-way conversation quite easily.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is that Acusense G2?
That is one thing I am trying to figure out. It doesn't say in the documentation.

Also trying to figure out what is better if you have eave lighting. IR or colorVu. Is your colorVu and what is your lighting situation.

Starstreak

n3wb
Reaction score
That is one thing I am trying to figure out. It doesn't say in the documentation.

Also trying to figure out what is better if you have eave lighting. IR or colorVu. Is your colorVu and what is your lighting situation.
Normal street lighting. The City council took the bright LED street lamps away and changed them for Sodium.
A person walking past can be seen in the light then tends to go into a dark spot as he moves which makes identity tricky until he goes into the light again.

It isn't Colorvu (which relies on some light and has no IR). Apparently Colorvue works better at 2MP.

Ours probably needs additional lighting - perhaps a 20W LED. I haven't tried it yet with the built-in little spotlight because it is on the wall away from the street so may not have much effect. We use an 2.8-12mm zoom.
ds-2cd2646g2-izsu-sl

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
seems like 4 to 5 MP is the sweet spot between good resolution for both day and night. I read the wiki and it doesn't recommend 4K at night.

now the question is whether to get IR or ColorVu cameras for night coverage. I've got the typical 2 driveway lights and porch light. Can't seem to figure this out and google isn't helping much.