HIK Vision web interface

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just picked up a new HIK DS-2CD2142FWD-IS-4MM and am unable to see the video stream in the web interface either Chrome or Edge. I found some discussion of this from a while back and it seems like an issue with all HIK. Is this still the case? Is there a plug-in or workaround? I guess it really isn't a deal breaker for me since I intend to use the cam in my BlueIris setup and I can see the stream there using the provided BlueIris profile settings for HIK. Main thing I'd use the web interface is for making the cam's native settings which I can do regardless if the stream is visible... but might be useful to see if I change anything that directly affects the video quality.

Upgrading to this cam to better ID porch pirates. Had one of those last week that my old ACTi 1MP camera caught. It looks through a screened window so while pretty good the video isn't quite adequate for identification. This higher res HIK will be mounted on my garage door trim so should not suffer from those limitations.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
You have to use Internet Explorer or Firefox ESR Version 32. If you choose firefox you have to do a small amount of digging to find that version.

The newest firefox ESR (v60 I believe) or regular firefox version won't work yet.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks... I think I had this same issue with a couple of Amcrest cams I bought 2 years ago. I probably won't bother to reinstall the old IE just for this since they stream fine in BlueIris.

You have to use Internet Explorer or Firefox ESR Version 32. If you choose firefox you have to do a small amount of digging to find that version.

The newest firefox ESR (v60 I believe) or regular firefox version won't work yet.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ie is built in still, just search in the bottom left for it.

I always run classic start as well on windows 10, never liked the new layout.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found the menu item to open the URL in IE and it almost works. I get a prompt to install a plug-in from "Apple" but when I click on it it is from HIK in China. I assume this is some sort of ActiveX thing. I am kind of leery of installing this on my PC.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume this is some sort of ActiveX thing.
It's the webcomponents plugin that's required to stream video and do some configuration tasks.
Still required on almost all brands of IP surveillance cameras accessed via a web browser.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK I installed it and opened the cam IP address in IE and it works. I had to do that to turn off the OSD time stamp. For some reason that would not work in a browser page with the video not displaying.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alastair, do you know if/how well the HIK "face detection" works? If it works that might be the answer to my challenging motion detect environment in terms of sending me an alert when someone approaches my home. I haven't fooled with it yet.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Alastair, do you know if/how well the HIK "face detection" works?
I think the answer is 'not very well'. That's my reaction when I first tried it, and that of forum members too.
Too easily fooled, and too many misses.

With a Hikvision NVR as the 'surveillance centre', Line Crossing and Intrusion Detection provide good ability to tune detections.
I'm not sure if Blue Iris reacts to these 'smart events', others will know for sure.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to go back into BlueIris to see if they have added their own smart functions. Basic video based motion detection is pretty useless in an outdoors environment.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suspect one could use the cams' native ability to send e-mail alerts on intrusion detect and line crossing independent of whatever BlueIris is doing. I may try that.

I think the answer is 'not very well'. That's my reaction when I first tried it, and that of forum members too.
Too easily fooled, and too many misses.

With a Hikvision NVR as the 'surveillance centre', Line Crossing and Intrusion Detection provide good ability to tune detections.
I'm not sure if Blue Iris reacts to these 'smart events', others will know for sure.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Line crossing works great, you can get email alerts as well with it. Much more accurate than regular ol' pixel based motion detection.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just tried line crossing and it does seem to work great. Man, I was struggling with this area for years on BI and had given up. No combination of gerrymandered zones and zone crossing would work reliably w/o many falses, or conversely, non-detects. I set up HIK line crossing last night and walked it a couple of times with successful detects and zero falses from cars overnight. Very promising.... we'll see how it goes for a couple weeks before declaring victory. Only thing I wish is that the firmware would allow more than one line or at least the ability to add anchor points then take the rest the line off on different angles... or better yet be able to draw an irregular line. I wish BI would implement this feature.

Line crossing works great, you can get email alerts as well with it. Much more accurate than regular ol' pixel based motion detection.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried line crossing and it does seem to work great. Man, I was struggling with this area for years on BI and had given up. No combination of gerrymandered zones and zone crossing would work reliably w/o many falses, or conversely, non-detects. I set up HIK line crossing last night and walked it a couple of times with successful detects and zero falses from cars overnight. Very promising.... we'll see how it goes for a couple weeks before declaring victory. Only thing I wish is that the firmware would allow more than one line or at least the ability to add anchor points then take the rest the line off on different angles... or better yet be able to draw an irregular line. I wish BI would implement this feature.
Blue iris zone crossing is FAR superior and much more customizable than hik/dahua line crossing. Its not even close. You simply didnt set it up correctly. Read the help file and watch the video on setup here Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk
Remember its VERY easy to eliminate false positives. Not so much false negatives.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree BI is more powerful. It just won't work in this particular situation. If you saw it you would understand. So far the line crossing is 100% spot on with detects and zero falses.

Blue iris zone crossing is FAR superior and much more customizable than hik/dahua line crossing. Its not even close. You simply didnt set it up correctly. Read the help file and watch the video on setup here Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk
Remember its VERY easy to eliminate false positives. Not so much false negatives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree BI is more powerful. It just won't work in this particular situation. If you saw it you would understand. So far the line crossing is 100% spot on with detects and zero falses.
no, if you would set it up correctly you would see that it will work. Zone crossing is a form of line crossing, just better. You have no idea about the spot on detects because you have had so few. you would need to review all the video over several days. Regardless, your issues with zone crossing is user error.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope. It works great out back on my rear deck cam setup, just not in front. In front the issue is turning cars 50 yards away that then drive by with headlight bleed over and the camera view angle. I have successfully set up zone crossing here but the geometry of the situation makes it so if I put the zone crossing boundary far enough out to get someone going to the front steps, whose beginning is a third of the way towards the road the headlight bleed over can "cross" the boundary for some cars. If I shape and pull the boundary back towards the house it catches people approaching the garage but misses people going to the steps. Just won't work.

no, if you would set it up correctly you would see that it will work. Zone crossing is a form of line crossing, just better. You have no idea about the spot on detects because you have had so few. you would need to review all the video over several days. Regardless, your issues with zone crossing is user error.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. It works great out back on my rear deck cam setup, just not in front. In front the issue is turning cars 50 yards away that then drive by with headlight bleed over and the camera view angle. I have successfully set up zone crossing here but the geometry of the situation makes it so if I put the zone crossing boundary far enough out to get someone going to the front steps, whose beginning is a third of the way towards the road the headlight bleed over can "cross" the boundary for some cars. If I shape and pull the boundary back towards the house it catches people approaching the garage but misses people going to the steps. Just won't work.
again, user error. Read the help file and watch the video...or just use the hik line crossing since you know better.