Hik-Connect App vs. iVms 4500

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey guys,

Still trying to figure out the correct setup here. I was using iVMS 4500 to view my cameras but really like the layout of the Hik-Connect app for viewing recordings. Unfortunately when I linked the canerdas through Hik-Connect, the video quality of the cameras declined. Either that or the view in the Hik-Connect app is worse than in the iVMS 4500. What would you say is the ideal setup using Hikvision branded solutions? I find this type of camera takes a lot of maintenance and tinkering. I almost bought the axis companion line because it looked easy to manage. Not sure if that's true or not but it certainly looks that way.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get a remote connection between my windows phone and network using Softether software, but was still wondering if you had any new thoughts about Hik-Connect App vs. iVms 4500, does the Hik-Connect App work without having to have a VPN connection ?

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both apps work without a vpn or port forwarding. Just register a Hik connect account, add a device to your account and you’re good to go.

Personally I hate the Hik connect app but like the iVMS-4500. Maybe because it is what I’m used too.
One reason is that I find with connect I have to select the cameras each time I log in but with 4500 they load automatically.

Reactions: GKL

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both apps work without a vpn or port forwarding. Just register a Hik connect account, add a device to your account and you’re good to go.

Personally I hate the Hik connect app but like the iVMS-4500. Maybe because it is what I’m used too.
One reason is that I find with connect I have to select the cameras each time I log in but with 4500 they load automatically.
Thanks, I'm keeping the Hik Connect and iVMS-4500 as a back up plan if I am unable to figure out how to get a VPN connection between my windows phone and my network using softether.

My concern is some on the forum feel that using the Hikvision iVMS-4500 viewing service is very risky, but if I can't figure out my VPN connection problem it will have to be an option.

Have you had any security problems or concerns using Hik connect and iVMS-4500 ?

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No none. Not sure but I think most security concerns are with opening ports on a router and not with mobile devices. There must be a million + users using Hik apps.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No none. Not sure but I think most security concerns are with opening ports on a router and not with mobile devices. There must be a million + users using Hik apps.
Do you have to open any ports to use iVMS-4500 and Hik connect ?

If I remember right someone's concern was Hikvision being owned by the Chinese government and them having potential access to your network I think ?

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No ports need to be opened. It all goes through Hik Connect so I guess your network is fine. I trust them. All my cameras are external so I am not concerned.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No ports need to be opened. It all goes through Hik Connect so I guess your network is fine. I trust them. All my cameras are external so I am not concerned.
Okay, that's good no ports have to be opened.

My one camera (once I finally get it hooked up) will be outside just showing the front yard and driveway, so even IF anyone saw the feed they might occasionally see me taking our dog out to go potty or me mowing the grass, nothing that should interest anyone :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
so even IF anyone saw the feed they might occasionally see me taking our dog out to go potty or me mowing the grass, nothing that should interest anyone
What's more of interest given an ability to exploit a vulnerability is to make use of your device and your internet connection to do bad things out on the internet, and also to infiltrate your LAN and the devices on it for potential gain.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's more of interest given an ability to exploit a vulnerability is to make use of your device and your internet connection to do bad things out on the internet, and also to infiltrate your LAN and the devices on it for potential gain.
I could be wrong, but since no ports are required to be open, wouldn't it require someone who is actually a Hikvision employee to violate their policy ?

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but since no ports are required to be open, wouldn't it require someone who is actually a Hikvision employee to violate their policy ?
I set up two cameras on Hik-Connect for iVMS-4500 Chinese versions
After all this stuff going on about cameras resetting.no known ports open
and one week later one got hit. @alastairstevenson is right nothing is safe with out a VPN tunnel
I’m not sure about the new firmware but the older firmware is not safe

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set up two cameras on Hik-Connect for iVMS-4500 Chinese versions
After all this stuff going on about cameras resetting.no known ports open
and one week later one got hit. @alastairstevenson is right nothing is safe with out a VPN tunnel
I’m not sure about the new firmware but the older firmware is not safe
When you say "one got hit" what exactly happened and how were you able to fix it ?

Someone said there are over a million of Hik-Connect users, if such attacks were common you would think it would not take long for their user base to dwindle down to almost nothing.

I would prefer using VPN if I can ever figure out all the correct settings to get it to work.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Someone said there are over a million of Hik-Connect users, if such attacks were common you would think it would not take long for their user base to dwindle down to almost nothing
Exactly.

I quoted a million but it was a guess/rough estimate.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Exactly.

I quoted a million but it was a guess/rough estimate.
Is there a forum somewhere specifically for Hikvision users ? If so you should be able to read if such problems are common or rare.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
When you say "one got hit" what exactly happened and how were you able to fix it ?

Someone said there are over a million of Hik-Connect users, if such attacks were common you would think it would not take long for their user base to dwindle down to almost nothing.

I would prefer using VPN if I can ever figure out all the correct settings to get it to work.
one got reset to factory settings. only two cameras on that test nvr with old factory Chinese/hacked English firmware zero port forwarding that i could see, only hick-connect p2p

and bang what ever is going around it nailed one camera back to a factory reset

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
one got reset to factory settings. only two cameras on that test nvr with old factory Chinese/hacked English firmware zero port forwarding that i could see, only hick-connect p2p

and bang what ever is going around it nailed one camera back to a factory reset
Thanks for the details, is the factory reset serious, or does it only mean you have to configure the camera connection to your network again ? (I'm new at this ip camera stuff)

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think this hacking/reset thing has now been addressed. Make sure you have the latest firmware and you will be fine.

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
I have trouble loging in to both hic connect and ivms.
I can watch recorded items but never conects to the live cameras when I'm on 3g or out and about on WiFi.
Any ideas

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
On yourdevice list one will have the lan ip.
the other when away from home will have a picture of the nvr with a cloud above it that’s the one to chose when away from home as it will be linked to your hik account.
If you have set this up log out and log back in and see if it connects I sometimes have had to do that

Mark rider

n3wb
Reaction score
Yer I know that . Also added it view wan IP to try it works for bit then stops.
But tryed as you say log out and in and it works.
That's crap is there another software you can use for hikvison NVR?
Don't want to log in and out all the time. !!
Thanks
Mark